Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Sundog Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 am
I just picked up a MPC 2500 and have a few questions about connecting it to other hardware. I currently own a Maverick Audio A1 Amplifier which is hooked up to a pair of decent bookshelf speakers.

My next purchase is going to be a Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable for sampling vinyl. I'm wondering if a connection like this would work?
Image Ideally I'd be able to hear everything through the same speakers.
User avatar
By tapedeck Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:54 am
Wal Martian wrote:Looks good but the only thing you're missing is a phono preamp between the MPC and turntable. Your MPC input is line level, turntable output is phono. A DJ mixer or standalone phono pre will do the trick.

the pic he provided actually has a line/phono switch (not sure if this is the actual turntable in question tho - the images i pull up for that model number dont exactly match, tho it still does have the line/phono switch).

so if you switch it to line, you should be able to use it with your mpc. if you just want to listen to the turntable, you can put the mpc in sampling mode and just leave it.

i still think a dj mixer is a better option, but yes what you have drawn should work.
By Sundog Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:18 am
tapedeck wrote:
Wal Martian wrote:Looks good but the only thing you're missing is a phono preamp between the MPC and turntable. Your MPC input is line level, turntable output is phono. A DJ mixer or standalone phono pre will do the trick.

the pic he provided actually has a line/phono switch (not sure if this is the actual turntable in question tho - the images i pull up for that model number dont exactly match, tho it still does have the line/phono switch).

so if you switch it to line, you should be able to use it with your mpc. if you just want to listen to the turntable, you can put the mpc in sampling mode and just leave it.

i still think a dj mixer is a better option, but yes what you have drawn should work.


Do you have any recommendations for a good DJ mixer?
User avatar
By tapedeck Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:45 pm
Sundog wrote:Do you have any recommendations for a good DJ mixer?

yea, but there are so many options for 'good' and i dont know yer budget.

first answer is any $50 vestax.
next answer is any mixer you can find in your area. it might not be the best but it will still be comparable to what comes out of the turntable already.

and to clarify - you can use the turntable on it's own if you switch it to line. if you want to use a dj mixer, switch it back to phono, plug it into the mixer phono input.
By Sundog Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:29 am
tapedeck wrote:yea, but there are so many options for 'good' and i dont know yer budget.

first answer is any $50 vestax.
next answer is any mixer you can find in your area. it might not be the best but it will still be comparable to what comes out of the turntable already.

and to clarify - you can use the turntable on it's own if you switch it to line. if you want to use a dj mixer, switch it back to phono, plug it into the mixer phono input.

Sorry for not being more specific, but preferably around $200