Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By sirtea Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:21 pm
Hey, sorry if this is a pretty basic question, but i was trying to find a way to have different tracks with different time signatures, but when i try to do this it changes the pre recorded tracks to the new tempo,

thanks
By Sharris Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:27 pm
As far as I know it doesn't do polyrhythms (different time signatures on different tracks). Whatever time signature you have for the sequence is the same for all tracks under that sequence. I could be wrong tho, I know JJOS adds features, I have JJOSXL & I'm pretty sure time signatures are sequenced based (not track based). If it's possible that would be cool........but there should be work arounds......maybe experiment with resampling the track(s) that would have a different time signature. You would probably have to make the sequence the length of the entire song/beat in order for it to work properly, but it should do the trick.
By 6/8 Stanley Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:30 am
I also want to know all about this. My method is too primitive to call it a work around but it works on any drum machine. Say I'm playing a song on guitar that's got a 12 beat. You could call it 2 bars of 6/8 but the chord changes after 12 beats so I call it 12/8. I set the MPC on anything with 6 beats, like 6/4, and lay down some beats. Then suppose I want to lay some 4/4 over it, I just tap out a 4/4 metronome in the track with a clave or rimshot for example, and make some 4/4 beats to it. The track need to be the right number of beats so the 4/4 and 12/8 end up at the same place. Then I can go back and erase the 4/4 "metronome" if I want.

Having tracks with different time signatures would be better since it would be easier to keep it all organized with a djembe for example playing one beat, and a barrel drum playing a different beat at the same speed, like it's done in a real djembe band.
By peeping tom Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:28 am
jjos introduced multiple sequence playback (say you can set SEQ 1 to play along with SEQ 2).
If using diff time sigs then you just make sure the combination of tempo / bar length works so they loop ok, which can sometimes mean weird / long beat loops