Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By pigpen Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:16 pm
[quote="Triple-X"]UPDATE...

I have replaced the PC Board, the 8 Out Board, and the PC Operation board(w/ the jog wheel and buttons on it) as well as the Q-Link board... AND STILL HAVE THE CRACKLING RIGHT OUTPUT ISSUE!

So at this point the only things left that it can be, that I have not YET replaced, are the Power Supply, the 3prong AC Plug Input, The hard drive input connector, the Function button board, and the CF card/headphone input board.

And I am going to try swapping those out as well. I think at this point that it is the Power Supply. So that is next on my list of things to try tonight. I will let everyone know what the outcome is.

quote]
damn man, why dont you just buy a new mpc? you are basically replacing everything!
By Triple-X Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:32 am
pigpen wrote:damn man, why dont you just buy a new mpc? you are basically replacing everything!

i see how that looked crazy like maybe you thought i paid for all those parts.

but i didnt. i got a connect who's is a mngr @ a local music store to let me buy a 2500 floor model and return it defective....
in exchange for a 12pack of brew hah hah

All the swapped parts came from the floor model after I had tested it to be trouble free.

and while Im here.. May as well mention, or rather RE UPDATE my previous UPDATE.. lol

it appears to be a combo of the PC board/Power Supply/8 Out board. :angry:

I get different results/amounts of crackle when mixing and matching those particular parts.

I actually am taking a break right now from having just worked on it.
Pretty sure I got it figured out now, just gotta rebuild and retest.

If so, that means Im buying my JJ password tomorrow! YES!! :D

but for now, Im bout to spark this Cohiba and then get back to workin on my 25k ;)
By roninator Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:05 am
very interested to know if you reached a solution triple-x? i'm having a similar problem but mine is contained to the individual outs which i was mainly using. i ended up replacing the 8 board which didn't make the slightest difference.
i get a whiney jittery noise from outputs 1-4 but i can work around it comfortably. i still have 6 good outs to work with including the the main outs.
By Triple-X Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:10 am
Wow I would settle for that. I NEVER use the 8 Out board. at least not yet.

I just dump tracks to the pc via the stereo out. no need to spit out multiple tracks at once thus far.
It takes just as long to check levels on 8 channels at once as it does to check each channels level individually before recording 8 tracks. for me anyway.

As far as what the issue was.. It turns out that swapping the PC Board and 8 Out board stopped the crackling on the right output. but the ironic thing is, the mpc that I put my "thought to be bad" PC board into DOES NOT CRACKLE.
Crazy right?

I thought it might be a grounding issue, or some strange ground/power related issue with the chassis itself.
I swapped the Power button module, Ac Plug input and power supply from the good mpc to mine as well.

I did this because asides from the crackling I was getting, I also got an intermittent POP on the left channel.
Like a power spike. very much the sound you gear if you turn your gear off while your speaker volume is still up.
POP.. but thinner and not as thuddy. like a spark almost.
That on the Left, and the crackling on the right was my original issue. Swapping the PC board, 8 Out board, and the power supply and switch from the GOOD mpc to mine APPEARS to have completely rectified the problem with the crackling. But I still get the POP at random intervals. VERY STRANGE. even weirder is that the issue mine was having previously does NOT seem to have transferred to the Good mpc that I took my replacement parts from. AGAIN, VERY VERY STRANGE.

The sucky part of all this, is that I had to make a compromise. While the Parts I installed from the good mpc into mine appears to have solved the crackling issue (which was my biggest gripe) the PC board from the so called "good mpc" has a partially corrupted INTERNAL memory. So I STILL have concerns with whether JJOS will load and save correctly.

SO.. Basically I have rebuilt both units after the part swaps, and I am going to return the other mpc tomorrow, get my 1400 bucks back, and then shoot up to Guitar center to order a BRAND NEW one for 970.
The one I was getting parts from was a 3 year old floor display.
So long as the new one I get works perfectly, I may just keep it and sell mine. Or pull some more swaps.
I dunno. I just want JJ, with no potential for issues which would cause me to have to purchase it TWICE. :angry:
By padlock Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:20 am
damn, i feel for ya man. doing all that shit sucks. when you could have got one that just worked.. FVCK YOU AKAI! saying that really loud in the shower helps sometimes... just don't say it more than three times or.. well, try it and see what happens..
By Triple-X Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:46 pm
yeah. your damn right .. it does suck and should have gotten a good one the first TWO Times.
tHE FIRST ONE SNAP CRACKLES AND POPS.. and the second one has a corrupt internal flash memory.
unbelievable. heh.. too bad that the "third time is a charm" rule applies to mpc2500 purchases.

thankfully I was born a tinkerer and have gotten a kick outta taking sh!t apart and fixing it.
what a waste of time its been tho, and a major hindrance to my production.
Then again I have been so busy wit work I have barely had time to pay attention to the fix let alone music.
:?
By Si-Tone Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:30 am
Hey Triple x,

Sorry to jump on your thread, I know im a little off topic. Just wondering If you can shed any light on a problem im having with my analog inputs on My mpc. They aren't working at all, no level shows up on the meter- no sound gets into my mpc 2500 when in record mode.

Have you got any idea what part i might need to replace to fix this? You seem to know whats up when it comes to swapping out parts on the 2500!

below is a link to the original thread I posted:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=121681

thanks
By acekid Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:21 am
ive had this problem once and i almost freaked out. i did have mt mpc on for a while so i thought it just "over heated". so i turned it off, left it alone for a while, then turned it back on and the sound was gone
By BLACK DORIS Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:36 am
Hey triple x, I've noticed similar issues but only on certain samples.
I've often wondered weather it was the sample itself or the way I sampled in. Luckily it doesn't occur all the tim but yea its a PITA.
By Triple-X Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:45 pm
yeah I thought it could be the samples at one point too.
Until I loaded different samples on different cf cards and tested.

PLUS, and most importantly in order to be the samples, the crackle would have to BE THE SAME audibly each time.
and it never was. It was always vary in volume and pattern.

on a lighter note. It appears I have FIXED THIS as I have not heard it come back.
So I took the plunge and Paid for my FULL JJOSXL password

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By DirtDevilTheOne Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:12 pm
im also having this problem (just on the left stereo output) but i just found out where its coming from.
obviously theres some kind of bug in the effectboard or something.
when im opening a project with a 4band EQ on effect1 the left output starts making that crackling noise, when i either bypass or turn off the EQ the crackling disappears.
when i put a 4band EQ on effect2 the mpc doesnt seem to have any problems at all.
i have jj os xl. also, projects which has been made on the free jj os seem to be more vulnerable to this problem than projects i made on jj os xl.
By DJ Illustrious Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:21 am
I now have this same EXACT problem with my right output, down to a t. It does it after my machine has been on a while, and when I pan the sample hard left the crackle still remains coming out of the right output. I also hear it on my right ear through headphones. Was this a problem with the so-called "bad batch" of 2500's? I'm so pissed right now.
Last edited by DJ Illustrious on Fri May 07, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.