Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By crossings Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:28 pm
The Grublet wrote:OK. ill do it. I gotta have my buddy swing thru.

What it does, is not simply a biproduct of the sample as it was sampled.

The sound issues I have with the 1000/2500 sound engine is what it does when you pitch shift the samples.

They do not stay accurate in pitch and volume equally in the 1000/2500

it loosed volume at lower pitches, and also has many filter clicks and pops you have to work around.

Ill do it tho.

you'll freak when you hear the 1000 vs the 3000. whole different world.

you don't have to wait on your friend for this... you are speaking to a bunch of mpc2500 owners here... just post up a WAV file and i [or numerous of us] can pitch shift it and upload... just say what you need us to do.

the mpc3000 is a whole separate world and we're not talking about that here... but i have a very hard time believing that the mpc5000 doesn't use the same outputs as the 2500... as if AKAI has tried to improve ANYTHING in the last few years... :lol:
By mr_debauch Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:35 pm
The Grublet wrote:OK. ill do it. I gotta have my buddy swing thru.

What it does, is not simply a biproduct of the sample as it was sampled.

The sound issues I have with the 1000/2500 sound engine is what it does when you pitch shift the samples.

They do not stay accurate in pitch and volume equally in the 1000/2500

it loosed volume at lower pitches, and also has many filter clicks and pops you have to work around.

Ill do it tho.

you'll freak when you hear the 1000 vs the 3000. whole different world.

would that be an issue of the hardware though? I would have thought it would be related to the software (OS) no? I wonder if that type of thing happens with all the various OSs available for the 2500
By The Grublet Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:44 pm
basically, when i get the 3k here, im going to press record on the videocam and also press record on the protools.

This way i can show you what the difference is (in high quality audio 16bitwav) and what Im actually doing.

My point WILL be proven. :twisted:

:)

I just need the 1000 in house. ive had it on loan almost permanently.

What (I) hear is as you pitch down a kick (for example) to give it a lower tone, it does pretty well in the 500+ range, although all in all the 1000's sound tinny to me, but when you start listening to the actual clarity of the sound (and volume!) of anything below 400hz range and down... it sucks.

It takes away the LOW LOW bass sound (20-60 hz) completely, and after a certain point (with filters as well), it adds a digital clip. (so the bassy kick you are trying to make ends up sounding like a fluffy crush or sandpaper hiss (for lack of a better term.

of course, i am exaggerating the actual amount that it does this, but in my best days, making a beat on the 1000 is 300% wacker sounding than on a 2, 3, or 5k.

It has a 2-6khz hiss that can't be eq'd out, without killing your sound, it has decent filters (or the idea behind them anyway) but when it comes to using them for anything below 400hz, they absolutely blow.

at least when you are working on a 2,3,5... they sound like they are at least TRYING REALLLLLY HARD to be analog, even if they aren't.
By crossings Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:48 am
again... why are you bringing the mpc3000 and/or the mpc1000 into this discussion??

the comparison here is between the 2500 and the 5000, so let's not deflect from your original statement...

i don't need a comparison between the 1000 and 3000... i want proof from you that the 2500 does in fact "sound like shit hitting the bottom of a metal trashcan" as you so boldly claim [in comparison to the mpc5000... not the 3000, which i still don't get why you keep bringing up in this thread].

i'm convinced that the mpc5000 sounds identical to the 2500 and want to be proven otherwise.

The Grublet wrote:basically, when i get the 3k here, im going to press record on the videocam and also press record on the protools.

This way i can show you what the difference is (in high quality audio 16bitwav) and what Im actually doing.

My point WILL be proven. :twisted:

:)

I just need the 1000 in house. ive had it on loan almost permanently.

What (I) hear is as you pitch down a kick (for example) to give it a lower tone, it does pretty well in the 500+ range, although all in all the 1000's sound tinny to me, but when you start listening to the actual clarity of the sound (and volume!) of anything below 400hz range and down... it sucks.

It takes away the LOW LOW bass sound (20-60 hz) completely, and after a certain point (with filters as well), it adds a digital clip. (so the bassy kick you are trying to make ends up sounding like a fluffy crush or sandpaper hiss (for lack of a better term.

of course, i am exaggerating the actual amount that it does this, but in my best days, making a beat on the 1000 is 300% wacker sounding than on a 2, 3, or 5k.

It has a 2-6khz hiss that can't be eq'd out, without killing your sound, it has decent filters (or the idea behind them anyway) but when it comes to using them for anything below 400hz, they absolutely blow.

at least when you are working on a 2,3,5... they sound like they are at least TRYING REALLLLLY HARD to be analog, even if they aren't.
By The Grublet Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:23 am
nice response.

the sound of the 1000 is the 2500 slick.

the 3000 was for a more obvious contrast to the fact that BOTH sound like shit.
Ill do it with the 5k too just for you slick.
??? :angry:
By emceewhiterabbit Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:31 am
Explicit- wrote:Thats just retarded.
Aint nothing wrong with the MPC 2500 sound.

I used my beast to make all the beats for my beat tape.

http://explicit.bandcamp.com/

With the JJOS the 2500 is hands down one of the best MPC's to pick up.

just imagine what that could have sounded like on the 5000....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
By crossings Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:04 am
séance wrote:So when do we hear the test? I'm legitimately intrigued to tell if I can hear a difference.

don't hold your breath... he doesn't even own a 2500, yet enjoys talking major sh!t about them...

it's hard to take him seriously since he also used to call the mpc5000 a "$1600 paperweight"...

The Grublet wrote:This machine is a 1600 dollar paperweight as far
as I'm concerned...

The OS is garbage (and as I have read, number 2 is worse.

What does a machine that you can't even tap the button while navigating thru the menus and have the sound play accurate do for you... The 960 quant doesn't mean ish if the OS can't process it on time!

The screen looks much brighter in the lower right than everywhere else....

The sound is tinny and boomy at the same time.

The only thing they got right is the ergonomics.

I've had like 6 glitches in the last 30 minutes.

Should I even try os2?

Holy Christ akai is wack now. At least the 1000 and 2500 are stable!

Anyone else see past the beauty of the exterior and feel my pain?

DISSAPOINTED.

taken from a thread that The Grublet personally started:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=117413

nice change of heart there, SLICK... :roll:
By The Grublet Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:15 am
:P

That one was the one that blew up. (after 10 beats)

couldnt take the heat I was pushing thru it.

you're right...

get the 2500 with the JJ

you can smoke crack like the rest of em.

MY 2 CENTS:

when beats were beats and rhymes were rhymes..... Long long ago in a place far far away from here..... People use to have creative ideas about their beats, and in order to try to express them, they invented samplers. Eventually, since technology breeds technology, the natural advantage of a "humanistic" sequencer was realized. The problem was, there was limitations to the amount of resolution a sequencer could have, or the length of a sample could be. This made many people have to invent compact versions or sketches of their original plans. I believe that this is what hip hop music is all about. Compromise. Since the artist had only the sketchpad available (if he was lucky enough to afford paper) and no other tools to cheat sound into form, he or she just listened. Sure Sue or Larry had a hard time at first... Samples sounded thin, drums sounded forced... yet after some dedication, hard work, and triumph (over several failures) the artist learned to make the compromise WITH his (or hers) idea in mind WHILE dealing with the specific limitations of the machine.

This is why I collect drum machines.

Not to put out records for interested parties. Not to promote a false identity. Not to collect income (or bills). I just like making beats. Thats it. So when you assume that I am playing politic with my observations, you are sorely mistaken. I truly could care less if someone else agrees with them, or disagrees. I only speak my own truth, as you only speak yours. I think we should just all get along and sing one song... and the song should be a happy one. Think not my brethren, for you will once again be free. your immersions into beatsmithery shall soon reap a cornucopia of benefits, if not only intrinsic ones. Lest we be concerned with quantization ratio and filter ring, yet more with technique. Jest not at thy fellow brethren over ill heard bass lines and digitized snare-claps. Press thine own 16 pads should be the motto of the land.

Right?

I mean the Heirs of this new millennium gore driven mass brainwashed consumeristic wastland classist money fearmongering snake toothed eagle winged ax wielding global microwave easy bake oven generation probably be coo wit the 2500 tho

rieaalluy tho

YA HEARD ?
By emceewhiterabbit Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:37 am
The Grublet wrote:
I mean the Heirs of this new millennium gore driven mass brainwashed consumeristic wasteland classist money fearmongering snake toothed eagle winged ax wielding global microwave easy bake oven generation probably be coo wit the 2500 tho

:lol: LOL :lol:
By Triple-X Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:32 am
Explicit- wrote:Thats just retarded.
Aint nothing wrong with the MPC 2500 sound.

I used my beast to make all the beats for my beat tape.

http://explicit.bandcamp.com/

With the JJOS the 2500 is hands down one of the best MPC's to pick up.

agreed & COSIGN all the way Ex.

I mean this argument has shifted to Sound quality as if this were the Mix-mag forum.
and how many people that REALLY care about SQ produce and mix 100% inside the box(any mpc)
next to no one, other than newbs that think they know what SQ even is but will reply with "whats 400hz mean?"
I sample and produce on my 2500.. not mix on it. If a kick lost a little ass in the box, ill deal with that in the DAW.
Besides Grublet, for whatever reason you have this illusion that the guts of the 1000/2500 are inferior to the 5000 as if "AKAI has improved ANYTHING since in the last 5 years". They haven't and I've been inside a 2500 and a 5000 recently and can tell you the electronics and electrical components in each are almost identical.

The idea is 2500 vs 5000 from a feature-set POV.
The real question to be asked to the OP is "what features are more important to you?"

IMHO the 2500 with JJOSXL is the most intuitive and easy to use MPC EVER. And a couple of extra Q-Links and a on board Synth aint even for me to switch. I mean dayum.. have you ever tried recording a direct audio take on a 5000? Ass cheeks! This is the reason one of my friends just copped a 2500/jj and HAS a 5000, and another friend is having me sell his Customized 5000. "In blind taste tests more producers choose the mpc2500 with JJosxl over the mpc5000"

C'mon Son.
Last edited by Triple-X on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.