Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By moovinandgroovinNYC Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:05 pm
whats good everyone not sure if i posted this in the right place but im pulling my **** hair out over this lol. Ive had my 2500 for about three years now and never had any problems until the sensors started to go, i ordered new pad sensors from mpc stuff and installed them and thats when **** went south, I cant get any response from the pads . Theres also zero output of sound from the headphone jack nor the stereo or the 12 outs. I tried playing the click track and tried sampling using input thru, which i got nothing. I reinstalled akai Os as well as jj os using the power on windows function to no avail . Everything else works fine on the machine otherwise. The only thing i can thing of is pad to intenal sound is off but i cant change it it because the the pads dont respond. Also reinstalling the Os would of cleared that problem if that was the case. My situation is basically the same **** Khaki Rudolph had with his 2500. Hopelfully it worked out for him, sorry bout my **** up grammer , Thanks Yall
By moovinandgroovinNYC Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 am
Thanks for the reply man, 8) , i made sure the all the cables were seated properly especially the ones for the pad pcb and outputs, and still no luck, im thinking about just doing a complete reassemble which might lead to finding something but i doubt it if i havent found any loose connections by now, plus everything on the machine works fine except for no sound output and pad/pad functions.
By SimonInAustralia Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:28 am
The sound problem might be due to a loose P202 cable, it connects from the right rear edge of the Operation A PCB, just underneath/next to the MAIN VOLUME pot, through the MPC chassis, and into the CPU PCB. This cable carries the L/R audio output signal to the volume pot and back, if not connected correctly, then you will get no L/R stereo output or headphone output.

For the sensor sheet, you need to make sure the flat ribbon from the sensor is properly aligned and connected into the small PCB under the sensor, and clipped/locked in correctly to the connector, as well as ensuring the other cable connectors under there are properly connected at that end, and at the other end at connector P109 on the CPU PCB (for the main cable).
By moovinandgroovinNYC Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:08 am
i reassembled before after removing most of the pcb's and doubled checked those cables, and still the same problem, i reinstalled jj os using power on windows function but it didnt change anything. Im thinking the pad pcb might just be shot, because the pad sensors are brand new. as far as the output goes i cant get anything from input thru or a click track. Maybe a broken volume pot?
By moovinandgroovinNYC Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:55 pm
yea when i reassembled i took the entire machine apart, pretty much down to the bare chassis, All of the cables were a snug fit into the cpu and other pcb's. Yea its a strange problem its driving me **** crazy haha. Thanks for all your help though man, now i know the function of those cables. usually i get the "make sure your samples are loaded to the pads" explanation when i tell people whats going on lol 8)
By ntalec Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:42 pm
Did you try disconeecting the new pad sensor sheet ribbon cable then testing to see if you could hear the metronome or pass a signal through the unit?

You probably need to send it or take it to get repaired.
Do you have any tech friends you could get to look at it?

Replacing pad sensors is pretty simple and straight forward so it basically means one of two things:

A) you damaged something while attempting the repair
B) something was failing and failed

Either way it's seems to be beyond your level of expertise so just look for a repair shop.
Just remember that it may be cheaper to just find another 2500 or 1k depending on where you get it looked at.
By moovinandgroovinNYC Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:35 pm
Yea i tryed with the metronome in play and during record, and tryed passing a signal thru from multiple sources via input thru numerous times using jj os and akai os , and after numerous factory restarts. still no luck....im leaning on busted pad pcb and volume pot but its a **** to spend the money on both if its not the problem
Last edited by moovinandgroovinNYC on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SimonInAustralia Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:39 pm
I think that as ntalec says, in terms of no audio output, you have maybe damaged something when installing the sensors, or something is not plugged in correctly, or your volume pot has failed.

If you have a multimeter, I could test my volume pot, so you can compare yours, to work out if that is the problem.

Are you getting sound into it, do you see meters move in the sample record screen, when you send something to the audio inputs?
By ntalec Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:54 pm
moovinandgroovinNYC wrote:Yea i tryed with the metronome in play and during record, and tryed passing a signal thru from multiple sources via input thru numerous times using jj os and akai os , and after numerous factory restarts. still no luck....im leaning on busted pad pcb and volume pot but its a **** to spend the money on both if its not the problem

But did you try that with the new pads disconnected?