Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By samricemonkey Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:57 pm
Hello,

I couldn't find any info on this so I hope somebody can help.

I'm having trouble trying to play my MPC using a MIDI controller keyboard and vary the parameters in real time using the Q-Link controls (i.e. use it like an old Akai sampler). I'm using an INST program and if I play the notes from the MPC pads it works fine but if I play the notes using my MIDI keyboard the parameters reset with each note. It does this for all the parameters (e.g. filter, LFO speed, LFO level, pitch). The reason I want to get this sorted is because for melodic parts I find it much easier to use a keyboard than the pads and I wan't to tweak the sound with sliders etc while I play. I haven't tried using MIDI cc from the keyboard instead of the MPC's Q-Link controls. Gonna just try that now.

I am using an MPC2500XL with JJOS XL 3.2.1 and an Edirol PCR-M30 MIDI controller keyboard. I'm pretty certain there's nothing to change on the keyboard - it's a basic controller. I find the JJOS manual very difficult to read.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.
By samricemonkey Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:45 pm
I can send the cc numbers 2 and 71 from the keyboard to control the filter cutoff and resonance for what I play on the pads but it has no effect if I play using the keyboard! Strangely, if I play the pads and change the filter using cc 2 and 71 from a slider on the controller keyboard it works, if I then play the notes using the keyboard the sound is unaffected by the filter settings (they reset) then if I go back to the pads the filter settings are still there as determined previously by the slider on the keyboard.
By samricemonkey Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:06 am
I wanted to see if I could play the sounds of the MPC from a MIDI keyboard and shape the sound on the fly quickly and easily by using the Q-link sliders and knobs rather than having to change screens and use the cursor and data wheel. Basically, just to use the MPC a bit like a synth module before doing any sequencing.

This wasn't working so I started investigating. After each MIDI note off (or with each fresh MIDI note on, not sure which) recieved from the MIDI IN port the Q-Link controller settings of parameters e.g. LPF are overridden by the values set on the FILTER screen, even with the AFTER button illuminated.

I found out that I can use the Q-link sliders and knobs in this way if I play from the pads or record a sequence first but not if I play notes live using a MIDI keyboard. I did try recording the slider motions on a sequence with MIDI notes in, no problem with that.

I guess I can live without the functionality but wanted to know if I was missing something or if it is true that the MPC cannot do this. I just found it surprising because it seems like a pretty basic function. I also wonder if its JJOS or if the AKAI OS would have done it.
By Bugfix Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:19 pm
I don't know dude, ain't got MP with me now for check, but as I read you right:

1.you press a key on keyboard, move a slider on MPC (ie LPF) > you can hear filter sweep
2.you leave q-link in a position (100) other than in Program (50)
3.you press a key on keyb > value of LPF is reseted to 50

^^this?
By samricemonkey Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:59 am
Hi,

Yes, the keyboard is sending correct note, velocity and cc changes. Nothing else.

I've checked the settings in 'MIDI sync' and all looks OK.

I am familiar with the MIDI monitor because it was there on my previous version; OS-XL 3.21, which wasn't free, that's why I didn't need to buy a password this time around. The free one was 3.12 I think.