Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By J_Gil Tue May 31, 2016 4:08 am
So I've been into the MPC for the past 2 months, finally started to really get into it and I really screwed it up.

It started yesterday on the couch, made a song and ran out of room in the card to save so i decided I could switch it out. The second I pulled it out the thing froze. I was in a weird angle on the couch when I went to reinsert the card and I believe that's when I bent a pin.

Since then, Any new card I put in freezes the MPC, and the original does nothing.

It won't let me mount it to my MacBook either.

I'm extremely frustrated, and want to get my MPC back to normal, if anyone can please please help me out
By peeping tom Tue May 31, 2016 4:36 am
i did the exact same thing you describe, except i had ruined a pin slot on my card using a cheap card reader.
My card that i ruined is still ****, i lost roughly 50 beats, card was not recoverable.
Reader was also no good.
Sounds like you'll need to replace the reader in the mpc, and i suggest not sticking cards in it, you may ruin those too.
By J_Gil Tue May 31, 2016 1:08 pm
im convinced it's a flaw.

The two pins that are bent are way out of reach, I'm going to order the replacment today.

How hard is it to replace? And will that fix the rest of the issues?
By WASKMUSIC Tue May 31, 2016 1:39 pm
no man, dont order a replacement.

had the same problem: bought a unit from a guy with bend pins.
go to the drugstore, buy a injection needle (right word?). u can do the operation from the outside, so no need to dismount everything...

just put the needle over the pin and massage it with circles and a little pressure until the pin is straight again!

hope u understand what i wanna say?!?

the unit was fully working after the operation. just be patient and treat your bit*h right ;)
By J_Gil Tue May 31, 2016 4:59 pm
There are two pins bent down. Top right pin is flush to the side - I think if I can some how get a hold of it I can straighten it back upright.

The second pin is also flushed down, but on the lower corner where the lever to push the card out meets. So I'd need to go around that some how.

That's the pin I think is going to be an issue, but I'll try today with the needle.

I want to avoid paying the 115
By WASKMUSIC Tue May 31, 2016 5:18 pm
i want you to avoid the bucks too.
the needle has a hole in it. try to cover the pin with the needle and patiently "massage" it back to its original position. this one worked for me. if u cant reacht the reader from the outside, take apart the mpc and look from there. but afaik you wont get nearer to the pins. try that before u waste your money.
By J_Gil Tue May 31, 2016 6:47 pm
Just bought the needle. I'm going to try when I get home this afternoon. It cost .25 cents. I hope so f******* hard that this works
By WASKMUSIC Tue May 31, 2016 7:49 pm
as long as there is a "hole" inside the needle and the hole is big enough (to fit the pin in it) it should work. i cant say it often enough, be really really careful and patient, keep in mind you just dont want to break the pins off.
By WASKMUSIC Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:52 pm
i think he means the original reader that is soldered to the motherboard. and therefore, i got a 500 and a 2500 from that generation of mpc's. ive owned a couple 1000's and a couple 2500's, too. every single unit was hot-swappable. so i think this shouldn't be the problem.
By peeping tom Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:42 am
Wal Martian wrote:Try tweezers. Your reader probably isn't hot swappable, that's why it **** the bed when you pulled the card out when the machine was still powered.

wonder if thats what i did :lol: :lol:

The needle thing is great, i've never heard that before!!

Hijack - any ideas on how to fix a card that wont read, due to the above?