Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By DJPhD Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:34 am
I bought some Alps tact switches to replace the cheap factory ones in my 2500, but the ribbon cable on the bottom is preventing me from removing my PCB board. I was able to remove the PCB from the 1000 with no problems, but on my 2500 i noticed the ribbon is harder to remove. I have read in previous posts that you can maneuver "tabs" somehow on both sides of the black plastic connector (see images below) and then the ribbon is easily released? I don't see any tabs, and i can't find any helpful posts/youtube videos to see how to it's done. Does anybody know the easiest way to remove the ribbon and what tools I might need? Thanks in advance.

By DJPhD Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:21 pm
:hmmm:

None of y'all know the answer to this? I'm surprised, especially since dying tact switches is the Achilles heel of the 2500! Guess I'll just Deoxit the little suckers until I can get an answer...
By WASKMUSIC Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:53 pm
Maybe your board is an old revision.

Just open the tabs if there are some, and then pull the cable out. The blue thing is plastic, just pull it gently on the blue thing with pliers or just flip the board out and let the cable where it is.
By DJPhD Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:33 pm
WASKMUSIC wrote:Maybe your board is an old revision.

Just open the tabs if there are some, and then pull the cable out. The blue thing is plastic, just pull it gently on the blue thing with pliers or just flip the board out and let the cable where it is.

Interesting.... As you can see from the pic, there are no tabs. I guess I will have to just force the sucker out. I tried pulling gently, but that won't budge it.

Will I damage the cable if I force it out, and will it be hard to get back in?

Also, if I just "flip the board out" and leave the cable where it is, will I run a risk of frying the board when I solder?

Thanks everybody!