Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Sheero Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:15 pm
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 2500, when I power it up I get the quick high pitched whirl of the HD starting up ( thats what I think it is? ) then another sound arrives, its a buzzing that won't go away. Is there a fan in the 2500? The machine is working ok so does that rule out the problem being the HD?

Cheers, Sheero
By Sheero Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:03 pm
Thanks for that. Any idea what the sound might be? Is there any other moving parts in the machine apart from the HDD? This is a bog standard machine, hasn't been upgraded at all.
By TheUnfuckwithable Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:09 pm
Do you hear the buzzing through all available outputs (the headphone outs included)?

Standard procedure would be to open her up, check every connection for loose cables and remove and/or reseat the RAM.

Did the seller told you about the issue beforehand? If not you may consider returning it...
By Sheero Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:01 pm
Hi, its not a sound through the outputs, its a hardware sound, actually coming from the machine and audible without any headphones or speakers. Thats why I was wondering if there is a fan in the 2500. The seller videoed the machine starting up before sending it to me ( per my request ) and it was perfect. Something happened during transport. Its working but this sound is brutal. If there is not fan can it be anything other than the HDD?
Thanks for the help dude! John
By richie Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:04 pm
I wonder if you are connected to a grounded power outlet.
By LZ Roberts Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:01 am
I have a Nord Rack that did that. It turned out it was a magnetic field from the transformers moving the casing slightly. So I stuck a bit of tape on the metal to dampen it and the noise went.

With the MPC there is some metal shielding around the mains transformers so that could be moving slightly. Just wedge some blu tack in various parts where the shield comes into contact with other surfaces (mains removed) and see if that does the trick when you turn it back on.