Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Cloud.Paradigms Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:11 pm
Hey Everyone,

I'm in the market for a midi-usb cable to track out audio into my DAW (Logic Pro). My question is, does cable quality matter for this matter?

If you want specifics, I'm comparing this generic cable:
VicTsing- $12
https://www.amazon.ca/VicTsing-Cable-Co ... s=midi+usb

Vs. this M-Audio- $46
https://www.amazon.ca/M-Audio-USB-Midis ... s=midi+usb

Just wanted your input/experience.

Thanks!
By tapedeck Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:22 pm
Cloud.Paradigms wrote:I'm in the market for a midi-usb cable to track out audio into my DAW (Logic Pro)

do you understand the difference between midi and audio?

you cannot track out audio via a midi cable. there are two different ports, midi and audio, and they do different things.

the cheap cable is ok for basic note triggering but probably not good for more intense operations like using lots of sysex rapidly.
By Cloud.Paradigms Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:37 pm
I should have been more specific in my original post. I'm using the cable to use the DAW as a Master so that I can properly sync to the MPC. Said differently, I want to be able to hit rec in Logic, and trigger my MPC so that all my tracks/sounds are in sync for mixing purposes.

-Cloud P.

tapedeck wrote:
Cloud.Paradigms wrote:I'm in the market for a midi-usb cable to track out audio into my DAW (Logic Pro)

do you understand the difference between midi and audio?

you cannot track out audio via a midi cable. there are two different ports, midi and audio, and they do different things.

the cheap cable is ok for basic note triggering but probably not good for more intense operations like using lots of sysex rapidly.
By tapedeck Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:58 pm
there you go - tracking audio and midi clock sync are completely different concepts.
the cheap cable will work for the purpose of sending midi clock.

having said that, syncing from a daw to an mpc might provide less than stellar results: midi clock jitter is the term you want to google.
you might get more luck if you can sync logic to the mpc (can you even do that? i know in earlier versions of logic, they wouldn't let you do that), or if you just set the tempos the same, and start them manually.
By Cloud.Paradigms Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:32 pm
Interesting...using the MPC as the master and Logic as the slave. Thanks, this is definitely something I'll look into.

Cloud P.

tapedeck wrote:there you go - tracking audio and midi clock sync are completely different concepts.
the cheap cable will work for the purpose of sending midi clock.

having said that, syncing from a daw to an mpc might provide less than stellar results: midi clock jitter is the term you want to google.
you might get more luck if you can sync logic to the mpc (can you even do that? i know in earlier versions of logic, they wouldn't let you do that), or if you just set the tempos the same, and start them manually.