Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By TheWobblingEmpire Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:50 am
I've read Tutor's page on connecting MIDI, Tweakheadz and some other threads... and this is what I've concluded from research. While using the MPC 2500 as main sequencer & an Axiom 61 to trigger the modules, are these the correct routings below? Just set the modules to their own MIDi channels and then make sure the MPC & Axiom are also set to match whichever module's MIDI Channel I'm working with.

As long as this is the correct physical hookup, I'm sure I could get the "internal" settings working after a couple attempts.

Imagephoto hosting
By turnstile Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:28 pm
With the below setup you can use any MIDI channel (1-16) on each device. Or use multiple channels if the device is multi-timbral. There is no need to come back out to the Axiom as it doesn't have sounds that you will be triggering with the MPC.

Axiom Out to MPC Midi In A
MPC Out A ---> JP8080 IN
MPC Out B ---> Moog IN
MPC Out C ---> Virus IN
By TheWobblingEmpire Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:28 am
alright. i appreciate it!

If I wanted to record control knob data (filter, mod, etc.) and sync the modules to the MPC's tempo so their Arp's etc. match, would the above routing you mention work?

or would i need a type of MIDI Merger / patchbay and connect the modules' OUTS to the merger/patchbay?
By dshook Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:40 am
To be able to sequence the knobs you need to go back into the MPC from whatever gear (I know this works nicely on the SLIM). Since you only have one input remaining you could choose one piece of gear to do this on, or pick up a midi solutions "Quadra Merge" which will very cleanly get the required merging done into your one port (run the outs on the same channels as the ins to keep everything separate). You also might want to turn off local control on the synths if you have them set up this way to prevent weirdness.
By TheWobblingEmpire Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:23 am
Very cool. the Quadra Merge is exactly what I've been looking at lately.

Figure I could go MPC MIDI Out A, B and C into the modules.

Then the 3 modules + the Axiom MIDI Outs into the Quadra Merge.

Then go Quadra Merge Out into MPC MIDI In 1.

This would leave me with MPC Out D free & MPC In 2 free for other stuff in the future.

I've had a long day, but I think the routings above would work out.

thanks for all the help