Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By MPC-Tutor Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:37 pm
In the MPC, the current sequencer track should be set to MIDI type, although that's more to control the Live instrument, it shouln't affect the MPK's ability to control the MPC pads. The only other mpc MIDI 'settings' are for sync so these are not applicable. I

I think we're missing something really obvious here because it currently doesn't make much sense that the MPC would 'relay' the MPK MIDI events without problem except when the sequencer is actually recording.

Anyone else got a fresh pair of eyes on this?
By KChristiano Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:08 am
Yep set to midi type and midi 1a....ive literally been at this for like 3 days straight. And like u said im sure its something super simple. Thanks for your time hopefully someone will be able to help...
By MPC-Tutor Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:16 pm
KChristiano wrote:Spoke with a guy at Akai Cust Service. Said this isnt possible. Can I get that money back for the book?

The MPK is a MIDI Controller, just like any other MIDI control keyboard. If you are able to trigger the MPC pads with the MPK then you can also record what's been played into the MPC sequencer, the MPC will just treat it as if you were playing the pads directly.

If you play the MPK keys, you can hear the MPC triggering Live, correct? If that is happening you should only need to hit RECORD and PLAY START and the MPC should be recording those same events. The Akai guy is talking rubbish - what's the point of having a MIDI controller if it can't input MIDI events into a MIDI sequencer like an MPC? Did he give a specific reason why it wouldn't work 'when recording', but does 'when playing'?

Are you sure you are recording correctly in the MPC? Have you checked STEP EDIT after your recording session - are there events there? Seriously, if it 'plays' fine, then there is no reason that it will not in turn 'record' those same events - unless you are not recording correctly. Please feel free to give a step-by-step of exactly what you are doing to record the sequence and hopefully we can see where you are going wrong.

BTW, you said the notes are playing in the wrong order - if you read my book it explains how to overcome this limitation of the MPC, by loading the pre-configured chromatic blank program.
By KChristiano Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:13 pm
Yes the Cust Serv rep was unbelievable. He wrote me off before I even explained the issue. I asked to speak to someone else kindly and he said he was gonna put me back in the que for another rep who was gonna tell me the same thing....on hold 20 mins with no pick up....
anyway...
So again I have my midi out of mpk to mpc midi in...im choosing my sound in ableton and changing to ch 1 ....on the mpc i change midi 1A and i can hit the mpc pads and they are playing the sound from ableton...i hit rec-play metronome starts and if i hit pads it will record. I then while metro is still clicking playing keyboard. It plays but doesnt record.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:59 pm
KChristiano wrote:Right I figured that but how do I load that into the mpc?

How do you load a program? You transfer it to your disk, go to LOAD, select the program and hit DO IT. For a basic low down of the fundamentals of using the MPC2500 - i.e. transferring & loading sounds, using programs, creating sequences etc, check the mpc2500 manual or if you want to delve deeper there's my other mpc2500 book Beat Making on the MPC2500
By KChristiano Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:59 pm
Got it. I literally just bought the mpc2500 about 3 months ago and im more of a hands on learner. I apologize if im coming off as a complete moron but in this case it would be correct. Ill read up. Thanks for your time.