Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By GotHemi Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 am
- MPC 2500 (main sequencer)
- FL Studio (quickly browse for drums to load into FPC) + (Transient Shaper for drum parts)
- JP 8080 (rack module for supersaw & pads)
- Virus A (pads & leads)
- Volca FM & Keys (FM sounds & analog sounds)
- Mackie Onyx 1220i

I want to use the MPC for sequencing only. I wanted to start triggering drums from FL Studio, because I can make my drums "knock" harder using Transient Shaper & to trigger bass sounds from Trilian.

I've been sequencing on just the MPC and everything sits tightly & is connected all to the MPC without any hassle with USB / MIDi / DAW latency, etc.

Would that tight sequencing be lost if I started trying to combine triggering drums from FL Studio & sequencing hardware gear, all on the MPC at the same time.

I'd only have maybe 6-8 drum samples being triggered with Transient Shapers on each one + a Trilian bass sample... then the rest would be my hardware gear.
By GotHemi Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:49 am
I don't know whether to go this route or go the MPD route connected to a high grade Audio MIDI Interface like the RME UFX, with something like a Quadra Thru connected to my hardware gear.

I don't know which way would be best for sequencing.

1) Use MPC to sequence hardware & also the drums from FL Studio using a 1x1 USB MIDI cable

2) Use an audio midi interface (RME UFX) along with a Quadra Thru box for my hardware + MPD for the drums & sell the MPC.
By Wormhelmet Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:27 am
Since you are using the Quadra thru for most of the hardware, that leaves an extra midi in and out on the rme to hook to the MPC. You can slave it and use the sequencer on the MPC or use the MPC as a controller, or find some way to go with analog outs from MPC slaved to fl midi clock, into fl studio and record individual drum tracks, then mess with the stems in fl studio after they are recorded.

I recognize all the gear and question from kvr. Haha. Hello again. Keep the mpc, don't go mpd. Just my two cents. The MPC can be used entirely standalone and can also sequence all your other hardware and you could theoretically slave fl studio to the mpc midi clock although midi sequencer resolution is far more detailed in fl studio. MPC 2500 is 96 ppqn and fl is probably 480 or even 960 ppqn.

It depends on how you like to do drums and one shot samples or even looped samples. Do you like it better in fl studio workflow or on the MPC?
By mr_debauch Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:47 pm
yeah i think if everything is connected to the mpc already and working fine... make your track with the mpc and track the stems into the computer. Not every single piece of gear you own has to be connected at the same time and all linked together.... it is OK to do things in steps or to make beats without involving every single piece you own... look at how you can simplify the setup (IMO) ..