Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Joemiskimmins Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:29 pm
Hello!

I've been slowly but surely learning all the tricks and abilities that the MPC 2500 SE w/ JJOS has to offer over the last two years. I use it to control a MicroKorg via midi to create backing tracks for guitar playing as well creating synthy garage tunes. This is the first time posting in the MPC-Forums, I wonder if someone out there can shed a bit of light on my situation!

Here's the problem:

I bought a HP laptop, a Focusrite Scarlet Solo (2nd Generation) audio interface, and a single 3/4 jack to DUAL 3/4 jack (In order to record from the output of the Audio Interface into the Record In on the back of the MPC). I may have at one point plugged the cable into the Record In on the Interface. I turned the laptop off after having no problem sampling from youtube videos, spotify or online downloaded WAV files. When I tried to turn the laptop back on the next day it was totally fried - it just would turn on! So I took the laptop back and got another of the same model. Raging, I re-downloaded all my samples and tried again. Possibly I may have done the same thing again because next session sampling from the laptop after I was finished, I switched off the second laptop and the next day the same thing happened! The guy at the shop said it was a battery problem.

SO, I now have a third laptop (a slightly more expensive one!) and I am afraid after spending all my minimum wage to record my MPC at all!

The question:
Is it dangerous to record with a single 3/4 jack to double jack into a laptop? If so what cable should I use if I want to sample from the laptop? can I use a 3/4 jack from the headphone output at the front to record directly into the audio interface without worry? Do you just use a 1/8 jack to Dual RCA and record on the digital in (and will there be any audio loss)?

This is a picture of a similar cable I am using: http://tiny.cc/t4h6iy

I've been sticking downloaded drum breaks etc onto a CD and loading them into a program but it is much quicker to record directly into the MPC. I would be really grateful if someone could share their knowledge as I am eager to fully use the time-stretching capabilities of the MPC!

Cheers man :)

Joe :mrgreen:
By davehate Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:37 am
There is absolutely no way you would fry a pc doing what you described.

But I would bypass direct recording,just sample online and record into editor you use,drag files over to mpc via USB and chop.... faster imo because you can clean up the sample and when it's put into mpc it's ready to be chopped .

That's what I do and most guys I know do aswell...except we sample from vinyl,never online ...but that's a whole other problem lol