Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By JAYAYEVEE Sat May 06, 2017 5:31 am
I know this subject has been covered before, and I have searched for an answer in previous posts on here and Motifator.com. Have also watched the YouTube video about the 2500 and the ES multiple times. However, I can't find the answer and seem to be missing something or don't understand the workflow of the Motif.

I am a long time MPC user. Have owned a 1200XL, 1000, and still own a 2500 and Studio. I have always used MPs to build the basics (Drums and chops) and then track out to my DAW, then add synths and such in the box. I recently picked up a Motif XF7 and have been trying to incorporate that into the MPC initial beat building process. I have the MIDI working to where I can record the midi track and have it play back. My problem lies with the program changing. I can't seem to get multiple patches to play in the same sequence on different tracks. When I change patch (in performance mode on Motif) it changes the patches for previous tracks I recorded.

Is it possible to have multiple patches play? The only slight work around I have done is to make a 4 part split on the performance of the Motif. Then I can get 4 different patches to play, but when I change the performance it changes the sounds I have already recorded to the MP. So i am stuck limited to 4 different sounds from the motif, and I don't have full octave range for the 4 parts. I was under the impression I should be able to get 16 different sounds to play at least. I have to be missing a setting or something. I understand and have toyed with MSB and LSB...setting MSB to 63 according to the Motif MIDi implementation chart but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I do change the MIDI channel on each track ie. 1A, 2A, 3A etc.

Not sure if I fully understand the way I should be using the Motif with the MP. What mode should I be in? I assume performance?? I want to be able to play in live, different patches to different tracks on the MP.

Am using MPC 2500 with JJOS XL 3.0
Have read all manuals and am pretty sure all Motif settings are good. I think I am missing something on the MP or am asking it to do more than its capable of???

I have toyed with multiple different setting in the MIDI/SYNC options to no avail. Please, someone let me know what I am missing.

Thank you!
By JAYAYEVEE Sun May 07, 2017 2:08 am
Figured it out. I was over thinking it all. Motif just needs to be in Song mode and you get 16 tracks to use. Just switch midi channels when switching tracks on mitif. You don't have to mess with program changes, MSB, or anything on the MP. I guess I didn't think it would be so simple.

:smoker: