Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By kebzer Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:48 am
Wattup yall! Its been quite long, really long time, since I last wandered in this legendary forum. Some of you might remember me from the 2kxl & 60 sections, about 10 years ago, lol!

Anyway, just got myself a 2500. Beaten pretty bad, had to order some spare parts already, but its at least operational.

So, all I am asking is a refresh on the current upgrade trends with the 2500. It already has JJ OS, so that's covered. I've seen also the new big screens, but what else is floating around with the modheads? E.g. can I get it to work with an internal SSD? Any other recent popular mods?

Lighten me up dawgs. I lay my trust with you! :worthy:
By saltmcgault Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:32 pm
kebzer wrote:Wattup yall! Its been quite long, really long time, since I last wandered in this legendary forum. Some of you might remember me from the 2kxl & 60 sections, about 10 years ago, lol!

Anyway, just got myself a 2500. Beaten pretty bad, had to order some spare parts already, but its at least operational.

So, all I am asking is a refresh on the current upgrade trends with the 2500. It already has JJ OS, so that's covered. I've seen also the new big screens, but what else is floating around with the modheads? E.g. can I get it to work with an internal SSD? Any other recent popular mods?

Lighten me up dawgs. I lay my trust with you! :worthy:

Bought a sand disk ultra micro sd w adapter card 128gb for about $40 and a type 1 extreme "udfa" cf card adapter for $13 and it works great, check out mpcstuff.com I've had my mpc since 2007 I've smashed the buttons the one from mpcsiuff seem be nmade of sturdier material. I'm glad i did there were alot of them that were broke but still worked. Not sure what else you're looking for. a 128gb cf card is a great start though. good luck with all that.
Last edited by saltmcgault on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By kebzer Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:45 pm
Lamp! Shit, this is overwhelming, haha! Its been a very long time indeed, hope all is good!

Decided to turn the tables around and get myself a late Christmas present, the dreaded 2500 (which I hated so much back in the day, lol). Its a good machine but I'm trying to cut corners here and don't do my homework, like any old school head...

How you doing? Still around this place, huh? Its full of extra sections nowdays, I guess Tutor had to follow NuKai with all their bells & whistles.

PS Has Rohan been found or is he still MIA?
By Lampdog Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:29 pm
So many sub-forums indeed. Tutor has to keep up with the times.

The 2500 w/ jjos is what I suggest to everyone because I feel it's the last greatest hardware only mpc.

I've only played with a2500 a few times, can't remember what jjos, but it wasn't hard to figure out. I still have my 2kxl and 4k.
By kebzer Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:06 am
Ahhh, the 4k... If I ever locate an OG blue one, I'll buy it within a heartbeat and sell the 2500. Besides my 2kxl MCD, the blue 4k is the only MPC I crave about (not even the SE 3k).
By kebzer Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 am
BTW, I agree that the 2500 with JJ is indeed the last great MPC. It still has a few unnecessary quirks compared to the 2kxl, but it feels nice overall and it has "acceptable" built quality. The only thing I hate is the Mode & Main buttons, which you have to practically press like 4 times each for anything you want to do.
By groovemonger Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:30 pm
Welcome to the MPC2500.

I bought an MPC2500 for the second time recently. I sold my last one maybe 3 years ago as I mainly used it with a live group and decided to make do with software when that finished. Software gets the job done of course but I've never had quite the same fun factor from making beats as with my 2000 and then 2500. I'm still a bit love/hate with all-in-the-box-DAW music.

Unlike some, I think the 2500 is a good upgrade on the 2000 series, although all hardware MPCs are cool in their own ways.

Here in the UK a less than perfect one goes for about £450-500 but I got one for £600 not just fully maxed with JJOSXL (used free JJOS before and this one is pretty different) but from the first owner who'd barely touched it. Showroom condition, box, bits. To me that was better economy than waiting for some beat up bargain to come up.

Only thing I'll probably do to it if get some fat pads as I'm so used to them on my MPD.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:12 pm
One owner that barely used it, that is a great deal and it’s rare that you’ll find an mpc like that.
By kebzer Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:55 am
One previous owner is damn rare!

Mine had probably 10 past owners, lol. It was beaten up hard, in order to bring it back to full working condition I had to resolder almost 40 tact switches, fix the screen cover, fix the eject button on the flash drive, replace 5 broken buttons + get a new balck jogwheel and deep clean it / dust it off.

It took me some manhours but I finished it yesterday and now I have a 100% working 2500, minus a very bad faceplate (which I am now planning to send it for a respray).

If you can get your hands dirty, you can restore this MPC with min. costs, as the spare parts are *still* relative cheap.

PS Last time I had to do a full restore it was with a 60 mk1, which took me 6 months to finish it. Sold it for 850€ 5 years ago, and now I see them running north of 1500€...Ain't selling shit again!
By Lampdog Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:43 pm
http://ghostinmpc.com/ does fantastic work, your faceplate would look great with his work on it. He's also an active member here.
By saltmcgault Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:21 pm
Lampdog wrote:http://ghostinmpc.com/ does fantastic work, your faceplate would look great with his work on it. He's also an active member here.

know of any original mpc2500 faceplates that are available avaible?
By saltmcgault Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:28 am
Lampdog wrote:https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-2500-casing/

yea i seen that. thanks for think link though. there’s gotta be a poser boy or something that will get rid of it or a junk yard scrap 2500 that i can get for a lot cheaper :lol: or just an out right trade for the faceplate with 2000xl skin i have.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:21 pm
I haven't seen any of those deals recently but if I see one I'll make sure to post up and let it be known.