Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500

By Knoxximus Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:20 pm
Blue Haze wrote:
Knoxximus wrote:I'm gettin it for sure. I'm also gonna hock my 4k. At least with the 2500, I can do everything that I would do with the 4k, PLUS be able to readily interchange my 1k programs. Best of both worlds. 8)

Wordz of wisdom it would be a step down when if you wait til dec you will be one happy puppy indeed. The Z8 is way more advanced than the 2500 and the processer is faster too.

But if you can`t wait and the 4k is too complicate just remember I told you so.
:wink:

It's not too complicated....I just don't have the time to properly learn it to really have it complement my workflow. Plus, since I use a computer, most of it's features are kind of moot to me.

But.....what's going in in December? New 4k update or something?

By elmacaco Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:08 pm
The 2500 looks tight, if Akai gets their OS act together, it's gonna clobber a lot of other MPC's. Out of all the new ones this one looks like it has the directness of interface that an MPC should have and all the features one could want. Of course that could be because it is the one we know the least about ;) But it looks like they gave the guy who makes sense the controlls. This is a step in the right direction design wise, hopefully akai can pull it off and not mess it up with some poor choices.

One thing that's on my mind, does it have track velocity on the main screen? And yeah, the white screen was much better, waiting to see bug reports is wise for those who dont have the cash to burn.

By jahrome Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:37 pm
Originally posted by elmacaco

One thing that's on my mind, does it have track velocity on the main screen? And yeah, the white screen was much better, waiting to see bug reports is wise for those who dont have the cash to burn.

Track velocity is still on the main screen. The 2500 uses a liquid crsytal display. Who know if this screen is better than the previous MPCs as far as appearance/longevity......I got that cash to burn so I will mos def give you a bug report.

By LaJProd Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:05 pm
Well at least the 2500 has it's own section now!!!!
By mahoney Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:42 pm
Some of the first things I'm looking for in a review for the MPC 2500 are:

- Quality of effects circuits. I expect better than the ultra cheese on previous MPC:s.
- Quality of LFOs. Can I please get the attack to be as efficient as on MPC3000...?!
- Complete implementation of Q-Link sliders, including areas such as trimming samples and real time control. The latter was partially covered in the samplekingz demo but needs more in-depth checkup sometime soon!
- Is PP (Patched Phrase) > Timestretch .. I'd expect this.
- Is PP simply a variation of the chop shop synthesis?

Trimming samples on MPC1000 is dull because of the data wheel's poor quality and feel and the required messing around with digits for zoning. This is where I like the sliders to come to life for A) start point, slider 1 and B) end point, slider 2. Something less awkward than on 1K, more similar to 2000.. I'd expect this.

With all the note repeat action going on on the MP2.5K, heads better be ready for an overkill of rolling Southern snares.

3 days left untill buyer comes to my house to pick up my 1K. Til' Christmas orJanuary or whenever it is in Europe I'm sampling 12 bit in my Elektron. Go Sweden!

By distortedtekno Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:09 pm
I'm sampling 12 bit in my Elektron. Go Sweden!

Hey, you got the MachineDrum SPS-1 UW? Hows that new sampler upgrade? Elektron are one hell of a company. Not too many companies deal with customers directly like they do. I own a SidStation, but I love the sound of the MachineDrum as well. If Elektron were able to make something similar to an MPC, I wouldn't hesitate to spend my money there at all. 8)

ByGuest Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:47 am
I liked the screen shots. But im not sure of the menu options on the pads, as opposed to under the numbers? its like the mpc1k, in that regard.

By Penfold Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:57 am
I'm sorry but this is taking the piss....Akai thing they are so smart!!!

the technology used in these machines are not NEW, there are not advanced or state of the art, yet if anything the equivilant to the spec of a 286 PC, which is worth?? pennies!! so why do they continue to do things like this??

takes the piss man!! akai really need to wake up and look at the bigger picture...otherwise they are gonna flop like like their 4000 did.

By jahrome Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:43 am
I'm sorry but this is taking the piss....Akai thing they are so smart!!!

the technology used in these machines are not NEW, there are not advanced or state of the art, yet if anything the equivilant to the spec of a 286 PC, which is worth?? pennies!! so why do they continue to do things like this??

takes the piss man!! akai really need to wake up and look at the bigger picture...otherwise they are gonna flop like like their 4000 did.

You alright bra? Inhale...exhale...breath slow 8)

I don't work for Akai so I have no idea of what that are thinking business wise..but they are still in business. And MPCs are the staple of more profesional studios and home studios than any other similar piece of gear of its kind. State of the Art? Its a sampling/drum machine/sequencer..for every cat that says it should be 24bit, there is another that wants 12 bit. For every cat that wants a full blown sampler like the 4000, there are 2 moe than wants an XL (or upgraded XL like the 2500).

The 2000XL aint worth pennies..neither is the 2500 or anyother MPC. Akai MPCs hold their re-sell value quite well.

Actullay, I am quite curious what you think needs to be included in an MPC that isn't already there....

I liked the screen shots. But im not sure of the menu options on the pads, as opposed to under the numbers? its like the mpc1k, in that regard.

Just my opinion...but it is probably smarter to place the menus on the pads. I have used MPCs for quite sometime now. When you put them through extensive use (besides the LCD) the buttons are the first thing that needs to be replaced. The pads are more robust..in fact, I have never had to replace any pads sensors of my MPCs. But I have had to replace buttons. So if the menus are in fact selected from the pads..I am all for it. I don't care if it is like the MPC 1000. This units is billed as a combination of the 1000/2000XL/40000. Nothing wrong with that.

MPC 1000 and 2000/2000XL users..stand up and get your new MPC 2500 :D

By Lampdog Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:02 am
elliz wrote:man that sucked. i'm not a violent man but think i want to hurt that dude. :lol:

hahahaha OMG, hahahahaha!!

By mahoney Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:58 am
distortedtekno wrote:
I'm sampling 12 bit in my Elektron. Go Sweden!

Hey, you got the MachineDrum SPS-1 UW? Hows that new sampler upgrade? Elektron are one hell of a company. Not too many companies deal with customers directly like they do. I own a SidStation, but I love the sound of the MachineDrum as well. If Elektron were able to make something similar to an MPC, I wouldn't hesitate to spend my money there at all. 8)

Yup, that's the one.. And I just copped the Monomachine with keys! A sampler workstation has been requested on the elektron forums. It would seem like the next step for them to take.

With the UserWave upgrade for the Machinedrum I'm really just glad to have an opportunity to learn the MD inside out and still have a hardware sampler untill the 2.5K drops

8)

By mahoney Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:31 pm
jahrome wrote:

Just my opinion...but it is probably smarter to place the menus on the pads. I have used MPCs for quite sometime now. When you put them through extensive use (besides the LCD) the buttons are the first thing that needs to be replaced. The pads are more robust..in fact, I have never had to replace any pads sensors of my MPCs. But I have had to replace buttons. So if the menus are in fact selected from the pads..I am all for it. I don't care if it is like the MPC 1000. This units is billed as a combination of the 1000/2000XL/40000. Nothing wrong with that.

MPC 1000 and 2000/2000XL users..stand up and get your new MPC 2500 :D

Pads for menus is way better. This was something I appreciated moving from MPC2Kxl to MPC1k. What's less appealing, and I just can't get it through my head that more people don't find this frustrating, is the lack of fader use in trimming samples and (even weirder) having to shift+arrow to move end/start points faster. So I'm gonna subdue to loving the MPC2500 as much for its design, the flossy eye-candy I got already, as for the functions I expect from it. I know I'm done with my 1K. Doubters need to ease up on the Hate-O-Rade.

Did I say how much I like the real deal MPC cursor buttons on the MPC2.5k? :roll:
By Penfold Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:41 pm

look the only thing improved on this machine is the larger screen!

everything else is the same as before (take away the led buttons) even the dial is the same and the damn cursor buttons...fuking liberty man!!!
dont get me wrong i dont hate it..i like it especially the colour, but its the way akai have gone about it...that I hate!!!
By mahoney Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:49 pm
If I don't like the feel of the wheel I'm gonna pop the machine open and mod a different one in. Same goes for side panels! :P

What I anticipate the most though is what's under the hood.
By Jenre Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:03 pm
mahoney wrote:Trimming samples on MPC1000 is dull because of the data wheel's poor quality and feel and the required messing around with digits for zoning. This is where I like the sliders to come to life for A) start point, slider 1 and B) end point, slider 2. Something less awkward than on 1K, more similar to 2000.. I'd expect this.

Bad idea.

Trimming the end of the sample.. oh dear, my slider wont go any further.. what now?