Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By lee majors Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:29 pm
If it's anywhere around $2000, the price would place the 2500 in the 4000 range. It wouldn't make sense to purchase the 2500 for that if you could save a couple hundred and pickup a 4000. In addition to this, There's workstations in the market with samplers that are just as powerful or even moreso( that read aiff wavs) plus the additional shit that comes with the modern day workstation(motif, roland, triton). Why would anyone purchase this if they owned an mpc, any model? Hell, buy a mo' or fantom and use your pads if you need to. Also, you think the 2000xl will be a discontinued product within the year, I do. I know this is highly unlikey, seeing how the effect and 8 output are d-amn near the same price as it was ten years ago, but in 2005 a 16 bit sampler, mpc or not, isn't worth $1500 new, $1200 base with the full 128 mb m (multisample library) or $1500 fully loaded hd or cd. Whats your take?

By Mantis Beats Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:44 pm
Good question... the max Akai are gonna get from me for a MPC2500 is £1600 ...any more they can stick it !

By Top BiLLin Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:35 pm
I'd pay for $1800 fully loaded

Anything higher is a rip, since I can get an Mv-8000 for $2000!

By shukone Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:12 pm
I won't pay more than 1500€...everything else would be too expensive....

new 2000xl mcd is at 1200€ here in Germany...so 1500€ would be a fair price

By jahrome Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:01 pm
No disrespect..but anyone that makes a living (not a hobby)..but a living producing, doing shows with an MPC and wanting to upgrade, would probably...repeat..probably not factor in the $2000 US price tag.

The 2500 is much cheaper than a new MPC 4000. An MPC 4000 with the 8 output board is over $3000 US. You can get an MPC 2500 and a Fantom XR for close to the same price.

The MPC 25000 as well as the others..are MIDI masters (masterpieces). I would never put them into the same category as a keboard workstation..just not the same thing.

I know that professionals (catz that make a living with MPCs) would not balk at a $2000 price tag (because they didn't when the MPC 2000/2000XL were released)..but I am curious to know what hobbyist/semi-professionals would pay for these units. I am getting my units next week, and several more with the intentions to sell them to members of the forums thast I visit: MPC Tutor, Nuendo, Future Producers, MV Nation...

I am not sure what this transalte to in US dollars..but are the extra features worth more or less than 300€? I ask because there are quite a few. I take it that you are refering to a maxed out MCD??? Because if you are not, you are possibly way off with evaluating the worth of the 2500.

I'd pay for $1800 fully loaded

I would pay that as well..but not a likely US price..at least anytime soon. With your price quote...that would make the 2000XL cost about $1000 and drive the MPC 1000 down to less than $700. I say that because if you strip the value of the standard 8 outs, internal CD drive, multi-card drive, FX board...that would put the 2500 down into the $1100-1000 range..even stripped down, it is worth more than $1100.

By BRAVO Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:41 pm
I can afford a few 2500's dont mean i shud jus drop P's on it...Com on man talk sense! I know ya excited, but heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!

You talk like u used one already - LOL! Anyway, yea, do your thing. I look forward to ur review. When they come out over here, i'll hire one in 1st to see whats what

ByGuest Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:43 pm
jahrome wrote:No disrespect..but anyone that makes a living (not a hobby)..but a living producing, doing shows with an MPC and wanting to upgrade, would probably...repeat..probably not factor in the $2000 US price tag.

Erm actually I do find that comment disrespectful ! Their are catz on this forum who are serious about their music but who aint signed and aint making truck loads of money to shell out on the MPC 2500 and I think to call them hobbiest due to that fact is a bit unfair.

We acknowlege that the new MPC 2500 is a great product, however we cannot justify paying just under $2000 and honestly say we're getting a great deal cos quite frankly to the dollar... we aint !!!

Does a few extra (mainly) software enhancements warrent $1200 or so above the MPC1000 ?

I would never purchase the Roland MV-8000, but features wise its a good deal to the dollar. All we're asking for is value for money and I can understand why many would be hesitant to pay just under $2000.

Your a business man Jahrome... make your doe! But understand the real !

By jahrome Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:53 pm
Erm actually I do find that comment disrespectful ! Their are catz on this forum who are serious about their music but who aint signed and aint making truck loads of money to shell out on the MPC 2500 and I think to call them hobbiest due to that fact is a bit unfair.

We acknowlege that the new MPC 2500 is a great product, however we cannot justify paying just under $2000 and honestly say we're getting a great deal cos quite frankly to the dollar... we aint !!!

Does a few extra (mainly) software enhancements warrent $1200 or so above the MPC1000 ?

I would never purchase the Roland MV-8000, but features wise its a good deal to the dollar. All we're asking for is value for money and I can understand why many would be hesitant to pay just under $2000.

Your a business man Jahrome... make your doe! But understand the real !

Before this gets out of hand, I did not intend to disrepect anyone. So I aplogize to Guest.

Now..when someone uses the word Professional in the English language..it usually means someone that gets paid for what they do. This is the context how I was using that word.

I am a hobbyist myself (a professional doing other things related/unrelated to this topic). If you are an MPC 2000XL or an MPC 1000 user, I have to disagree with the fact that you are not getting a good deal. But, I will say that we have to agree to disagree although know one else has broken down the dollar value of the additional MPC 2500 additons to really give it a fair price.

- additional balanced analog outputs
- two additonal MIDI outputs
- Adjustable LCD screen
- Interal drive capable

Plus the 'software' upgrades? I can't/won't comment on that the improvements to the sampler section is due to hardware or software or even both because I don't know..and suspect that 99% don't know. I could be wrong though.. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes of Akai..but as a businessman..if I had a product that can be improved with a software update..I would make it happen if it would increase the sales of that item. But never by a piece of gear hoping to get a software upgrade. That's crazy and you will lose your mind begging for this upgrade. Buy the product for what it has and not for what you think it should have in the future.
Last edited by jahrome on Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By BRAVO Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:57 pm
jahrome wrote:
know one else has broken down the dollar value of the additional MPC 2500 additons to really give it a fair price.

Because the damn thing has to come out 1st and get a crash test!

By jahrome Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:04 pm
Because the damn thing has to come out 1st and get a crash test!

True..but whatever happens, my BET is that it will be a solid machine. I can't say it will/won't upon release. But I know that Akai will do what they can do fix any problems because they are in the business to make money not lose it.

By BRAVO Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:17 pm
Fair play....We'l see.....I remember the days every1 thought the 2kxl was dead in the water cos the 1k was about to drop (because it was a better machine on paper) but you know, sumtimes things aren't always what they seem to be. Its clear this MPC has sum stuf that has moved forward etc but only personal use and experience can claify/justify its place as a solid machine

It has a few things I love the sound of only cos it saves me time and brain power (No calculators etc - LOL) I like the look to. Jeeeze! They got that much right

By jahrome Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:40 pm
Fair play....We'l see.....I remember the days every1 thought the 2kxl was dead in the water cos the 1k was about to drop (because it was a better machine on paper) but you know, sumtimes things aren't always what they seem to be. Its clear this MPC has sum stuf that has moved forward etc but only personal use and experience can claify/justify its place as a solid machine

It has a few things I love the sound of only cos it saves me time and brain power (No calculators etc - LOL) I like the look to. Jeeeze! They got that much right

I just had a funny flashback. Well, maybe not funny but..

My Japanese co-workers invited me to go to this Music Convention in Japan several years ago. I had no idea that a new MPC was coming out. Akai had a booth displaying custom MPCs designed my Forat. I walked into the booth..and what do you know..the MPC 1000. I was like..where in the hell did this come from? The Akai rep told me to go ahead..play with it. Immediately...my repsonse was why in the hell did Akai change the pads of this MPC. They had already set the standard. I told the rep that this was the worst MPC I ever laid my hands on (I didn't bother looking into the other features)..But since it was so reasonably priced..I thought I may get one for my children..but they prefered the XL.

By Toecutter Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:52 am
if the suggested retail is 2000 dollars then the realistic retail price is probably gonna be like 1700 or 1799, which explains why it was so hard to get an xl four or five months ago. I never got an xl but the filters and effects included on the 2500 make me think of the 2500... it's hard to part with my classic 2k though, we been together so many years!

By shukone Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:35 am
jahrome wrote:

I am not sure what this transalte to in US dollars..but are the extra features worth more or less than 300€? I ask because there are quite a few. I take it that you are refering to a maxed out MCD??? Because if you are not, you are possibly way off with evaluating the worth of the 2500.

1200€ should be around 1450 USD.
I think you could get a new MPC 2000XL MCD, add the 8 outputs and the fx board and you'll reach ~ 1500€....

But on the other hand, you have to keep in mind, that the new function in the 2500 are nice, but not really a thing, that is connected with some kind of better hardware or something like that. So why pay that much? You could add the same features to the 1000 with a new os, this wouldn't be a big deal...

All in all, 300€ more expensive than the 2000xlmcd would be fair...but nothing special....

ByGuest Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:07 pm
I think the 2500 prices are going to drop somewhat quickly....

Remember, the MPC 1000 retailed for $1500.

IMO, by next spring the 2500 will have the price of the 2000 MCD now (which is around $1500 right?)

Although it looks very tight, the pads, screen, sampler all seem derived from the 1000 so I doubt it costs them that much more to make.

Maybe I'll trade my 1000 for a 2000xl MCD if prices on those drop enough!!! I love the blue MPC's!!!!!