Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
ByGuest Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:45 pm
Just wanna be first! Let's hope people will use the search button before posting the same question 1000 times... :mrgreen:

I guess that Akai will soon sell some standard CD-RW drives for premium prices!

I wonder which CD-RW (non-Akai) can we use to install?
Where to buy it and how much it did cost you?

Please share us your experience as soon as you've got it up and running.

By r.5 Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:50 pm
Hey, where's my username?

By jahrome Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:02 am
The CD-M25 will cost about $180-$250. This is manufactured (perhaps) by Akai for the MPC 2500. This drive is smaller than a standard IDE CDRW drive. It appears to be similar to a drive in a lap top or the drive in the Triton Studio/MV800

By Mantis Beats Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:53 am
jahrome wrote:The CD-M25 will cost about $180-$250.

Akai are on drugs !!!

By jahrome Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:41 am
Originally posed by Mantis Beats

Akai are on drugs !!!

I can't call it. Korg did the same thing with the Triton Studio...but later, they made the CDRW standard in the studio...maybe Akai will do the same.

By Mantis Beats Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:10 am
jahrome wrote:
Originally posed by Mantis Beats

Akai are on drugs !!!

I can't call it. Korg did the same thing with the Triton Studio...but later, they made the CDRW standard in the studio...maybe Akai will do the same.

Akai are still on drugs !!!

But I'm sure there will be a laptop drive CDRW modification... and even a DVDRW laptop drive modification if were lucky...

By jahrome Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:19 am
Originally posted by Mantis Beats

Akai are still on drugs !!!

But I'm sure there will be a laptop drive CDRW modification... and even a DVDRW laptop drive modification if were lucky...

Honestly....I feel you but I will just cop the Akai CDRW and let somebody adventurous open up their MPC and install a non-Akai drive and report back how it works.. Trying to save $50-$150 trying to modify the MPC 2500 with a non-Akai drive is not worth causing a $2000 unit to malfunction...

By r.5 Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:49 pm
jahrome wrote:Trying to save $50-$150 trying to modify the MPC 2500 with a non-Akai drive is not worth causing a $2000 unit to malfunction...

Do you really think a small firm like Akai Pro has the financial resources to pay for the R&D to create a non-standard CD-RW? It would be a lot cheaper for them to use standard CD-RW and save a lot of R&D costs... (Remember the 128MB memory upgrade.)

By sparq Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:48 pm
What kind (akai/non-akai) cd drive is in the 4000? I don't have one but for the 4k's that didn't come with one, couldn't you add one youself? If it is a non-akai drive in the 4k, why wouldn't we be able toi do the same thing with the 2.5k?

By r.5 Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:57 pm
sparq wrote:What kind (akai/non-akai) cd drive is in the 4000? I don't have one but for the 4k's that didn't come with one, couldn't you add one youself? If it is a non-akai drive in the 4k, why wouldn't we be able toi do the same thing with the 2.5k?

I don't think you can compare the CD-RW from both MPCs.
The one in the MPC2500 is a lot smaller...

By Mantis Beats Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:28 pm
r.5 wrote:
jahrome wrote:Trying to save $50-$150 trying to modify the MPC 2500 with a non-Akai drive is not worth causing a $2000 unit to malfunction...

Do you really think a small firm like Akai Pro has the financial resources to pay for the R&D to create a non-standard CD-RW? It would be a lot cheaper for them to use standard CD-RW and save a lot of R&D costs... (Remember the 128MB memory upgrade.)

My point exactly !

By r.5 Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:30 pm
Mantis Beats wrote:
r.5 wrote:

My point exactly !

Akai are still on drugs !!! :shock:

By jahrome Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:43 pm

I don't know?? And know one else on here probably knows the answers/facts to that question.

But Akai is releasing their own CDRW drive (as I said is smaller than a standard IDE drive). I don't know who manufactured it and don't care. My MPC 2500 will have one installed...mainly because I want to give it a proper review by putting that function to the test. Again. I will let another MPC user challenge themselves by finding a non-Akai drive for it. I can easily make $180 during the time I am trying to find a cheaper drive (in fact..I can make $180 just by staying out of the forums :) but that is no fun).

By sparq Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:49 pm
r.5 wrote:
sparq wrote:What kind (akai/non-akai) cd drive is in the 4000? I don't have one but for the 4k's that didn't come with one, couldn't you add one youself? If it is a non-akai drive in the 4k, why wouldn't we be able toi do the same thing with the 2.5k?

i'll find out for sure

By jahrome Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:06 am
Originally posted by sparq

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by r.5:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by sparq:
What kind (akai/non-akai) cd drive is in the 4000? I don't have one but for the 4k's that didn't come with one, couldn't you add one youself? If it is a non-akai drive in the 4k, why wouldn't we be able toi do the same thing with the 2.5k?

i'll find out for sure

Please do that for sure and keep us posted :D