Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500

By jahrome Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:51 pm
drumtrack wrote:
oh yeah ......................

2. Not really sure what you are asking here. Please be more specific.
----> "is it possible to insert midi notes in the grid mode while the mpc is playing and looping the current sequence?"

YES. The Grid Edit mode contains all the functions of the basic functions of the Step Edit mode as well as the MPCs reqular sequence mode.

In the Grid Edit Mode, you can change tracks, pad banks, set the resolution of the grid..all while the sequence is playing. You have to hit the record/overdub button while in this mode to insert notes.

By jahrome Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:53 pm
obi1r wrote:
Why is there no pic of this 2500 anywhere?

You didn't look hard enough.

www.akaipro.jp

Byobi1r Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:02 pm
That's true...
But anyway, this one looks better than the other MPC's

By jahrome Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:36 pm
obi1r wrote:
That's true...
But anyway, this one looks better than the other MPC's

Peforms better as well...

By sensei Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:38 am
Can a PC recognise the internal harddrive on the MPC2500?
Will I be able to import a wave file into ableton live from the MPC2500 internal hardrive?

By cowbell Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:47 am
sensei wrote:Can a PC recognise the internal harddrive on the MPC2500?
Will I be able to import a wave file into ableton live from the MPC2500 internal hardrive?
Yes, through USB

By distortedtekno Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:40 pm
cowbell wrote:
sensei wrote:Can a PC recognise the internal harddrive on the MPC2500?
Yes, through USB

These days we call USB the Universal Slow Bus. I still don't understand why Akai doesnt implement USB 2.0 when it could take forever to transfer up to 80gb with USB 1.1. I don't see what the problem is. The worst that could happen is that if your computer only supports USB 1.1, the USB 2.0 from any device used will only bottleneck down to the speed of 1.1 and it wouldnt corrupt any data at all. My external card reader is an old 1.1 and my computer's motherboard has USB 2.0. I havent had any transfer problems at all. I'm not trying to complain here... just trying to understand the logic (or lack of it) behind all of this.

By jahrome Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:12 pm
Hurricane Producer wrote:
What about a CF card? Has anyone bought one yet that works in the 2500? I want to order a CF card that I know is going to be compatible. The AKAI website only says that it has to be a Type II card. I'm thinking about getting something that is a maximum of 1 GB. I would rather have several small cards dedicated to projects instead of one huge card with the potential of losing a lot of my work.

I used a 512MB Hagiwara Sys-Com compact flash card that works fine with the 2500.

JayL32 wrote:
How Many Tracks of Audio can you record?
I watched the samplekings video a few times, and he recorded audio from the Micron. I wanna know if there a certain level of tracks you can record.

The MPC 2500 doesn't record audio tracks like a multi-track recorder. It records audio and stores audio as a sample.

Jahrome wrote:
The Program Edit mode is where you assign samples to the pads. You can assign up to 4 samples to a pad. You can adjust the level, tune, and range(keyboard). There is another window (amp envelope) to open up which will allow you to adjust the decay and attack...but no velocity switching as I can tell.

Velocity switching is in fact possible with the MPC 2500.

By sensei Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:26 am
From reading the manual it appears as though the range setting is referring to velocity range not key range. The 2500 has no key range setting as far as I can see. The range setting is for different sounds to be triggered within certain velocity range.

If this thing was able to set key range it would be cool. I might have to wait for a new MPC5000. Fingers crossed.

By jahrome Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:20 am
sensei wrote:
From reading the manual it appears as though the range setting is referring to velocity range not key range. The 2500 has no key range setting as far as I can see. The range setting is for different sounds to be triggered within certain velocity range.

If this thing was able to set key range it would be cool. I might have to wait for a new MPC5000. Fingers crossed.

Key Range the way you describe it is usually found on full featured samplers. The MPC 4000 is the only MPC that does that.

With other MPCs, including the MPC 2500, you can assign each sample to a specific key by assiging it to a pad. You can assign the same sample to multiple pads and tune them or apply filters independantly if you want to play them back from a MIDI keyboard controller, if you have the desire to.

I guess you don't really want that feature if you are willing to wait that long for another MPC to drop. :wink:

By jahrome Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:22 pm
jocks wrote:

hi jahrome!
have you seen any velocity modulation of sample start point? mpc1k miss it along with a separate filter envelope.

this function exists in mpc60, 2kxl & 3k. by playing with different velocityes on a pad, you move the sample start point so that different amount of the sounds attack is heard. combine that with velocity switch of sample layers, and you get more realistic drum beats. the sample start is modulated by velocity, just like when you use q-link fader to change sample start. it's an old trick that was used when samplers only had 1meg of memory, but it's very effective!
/jocks

In addtion to velocity switching between layers...you can control a samples's start point by velocity. This function basically delays the start point of a sample.

There are quite a few functions that can be controlled by velocity: a samples attack, start point, volume, filter envelope, depth, and cut-off frequency.