Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Bashir Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:29 pm
Ok, I am pretty much sold on this new MPC I have been reading all the information and it seems to have several features that I want and don't have on My 2000xl such as Chopshop. (I have been using recycle for this). My only concern is that it does not seem to have any support for zip disk...... I have an internal Zip in my 2000xl and an internal zip in my computer. I also have an exteranal SCSI CD/8gig hard drive with programs saved on it. I have attempted to take the zip disk and put them into the computer to save them to my exteranal hard drive for back up, with the assumption that I could later connect my 2500 to my PC via USB and drive those programs to a memory card or the interal hard drive. But my pc won't read the zip disk so that seem to not be an option. I really need to be able to use these files being that I have done all my work over the last 8 years on either the MPC 2000 or the MPC 2000xl so I have alot of files that I would need transferred to the MPC 2500. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And before you say it I did do a search and could seem to find any answers. Maybe I didn't use the right keywords or something but I did make that effort first.

Oh by the way..........anyone interested in buying a MPC2000xl (Studio version, 8 outs installed, memory maxed out) in like new condition with an internal Zip Drive and an Exteranal SCSI CD/8gig combo hard drive with tons of sounds preloaded on the hard disk. It has a new LCD screen less than a year old and has never been used outside of my smoke free studio. E-mail me if you are interested.

By hydroslanger Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:24 pm
what you have to do is get a zip your not using and format it on "mpc editor" i can be read on both. then loead your old disks in the mpc and save them on the formatted disk so you can transfer it to you comp.

By Bashir Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:13 am
WOW! :shock: that's alot more work than I anticipated. So I have to load each program, sample, sequence etc.. back into the MPC and then save them again on this one Zip disk that I format with MPC editor and then bring it to the PC and dump it to a folder on my external hard drive? There has to be an easier way to do this.........doesn't there?? :cry: I mean for the MPC2500 to say it can read 2000xl files it sure doesn't give you many options or vehicals for getting those files to the new Machine........

By Bashir Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:13 am
You don't know how many Zip Disk I have. :roll: LOL

By Lampdog Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:21 pm
zip disk files to pc.

pc usb to mpc2500 usb.

--
I had a zip drive in my 2kxl. I had MANY zip disks.
I also had a zip drive in my pc.
I change my 2kxl internal zip to cf reader.
now I also have a cf reader in my pc.

I put the zip files on my pc.
then put them on my cf.
used the cf to put the files in my new cf drive in my 1kxl.

By Bashir Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:11 am
Lampdog wrote:zip disk files to pc.

pc usb to mpc2500 usb.

--
I had a zip drive in my 2kxl. I had MANY zip disks.
I also had a zip drive in my pc.
I change my 2kxl internal zip to cf reader.
now I also have a cf reader in my pc.

I put the zip files on my pc.
then put them on my cf.
used the cf to put the files in my new cf drive in my 1kxl.

Lamp I here you when you say zip disk files to PC and then PC usb to MPC2500 usb but the problem is my MPC zips won't read in my PC. I have a cf reader that I was going to put in my MPC but im not doing it now being that I plan on selling it and the new one comes with a cf reader. so I am going to put this one in my computer and then I will have a cf reader on my MPC2500 and my pc. but before I can get to that point I want to back up all these damn Zip disk to PC so I can transfer them to my new MPC2500 when I get it. Looks like I am going to have to do what was advised earlier which is format a seperate disk on my PC and then load my zip disk programs, seqs, etc... back into the MPC one @ a time and then save them to that one disk and then dump them on my pc hard drive till i transfer them to my new MPC2500 hard drive. Just seems like there has to be an easier way........ :?
By Lampdog Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:34 am
Bashir wrote:Lamp I here you when you say zip disk files to PC and then PC usb to MPC2500 usb but the problem is my MPC zips won't read in my PC. I have a cf reader that I was going to put in my MPC but im not doing it now being that I plan on selling it and the new one comes with a cf reader. so I am going to put this one in my computer and then I will have a cf reader on my MPC2500 and my pc. but before I can get to that point I want to back up all these damn Zip disk to PC so I can transfer them to my new MPC2500 when I get it. Looks like I am going to have to do what was advised earlier which is format a seperate disk on my PC and then load my zip disk programs, seqs, etc... back into the MPC one @ a time and then save them to that one disk and then dump them on my pc hard drive till i transfer them to my new MPC2500 hard drive. Just seems like there has to be an easier way........ :?

All my storage media is formatted via fat16 on pc. I wanted to be able to transfer flawlessly to/from pc without having filenames truncated and cut off so I made sure I formatted all my disk, zip, floppys (back when I had them), CF's on pc. Your going to have headaches dealing with the truncated names, I'm telling you now. I stuck with strictly 8character filenames (as has been said and told many times in the forums). No easy way around that. You can format your media in MPC and use longer than 16 characters all you want, take it to mpc2kxl and it truncates the names longer than 8. Your PGM's and such will be looking for those long names. Unless you had a REALLY good naming scheme for each song and samples, your gonna have SO MUCH fun renaming LOTS of samples.
By Bashir Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:03 am
Lampdog wrote:
Bashir wrote:Lamp I here you when you say zip disk files to PC and then PC usb to MPC2500 usb but the problem is my MPC zips won't read in my PC. I have a cf reader that I was going to put in my MPC but im not doing it now being that I plan on selling it and the new one comes with a cf reader. so I am going to put this one in my computer and then I will have a cf reader on my MPC2500 and my pc. but before I can get to that point I want to back up all these damn Zip disk to PC so I can transfer them to my new MPC2500 when I get it. Looks like I am going to have to do what was advised earlier which is format a seperate disk on my PC and then load my zip disk programs, seqs, etc... back into the MPC one @ a time and then save them to that one disk and then dump them on my pc hard drive till i transfer them to my new MPC2500 hard drive. Just seems like there has to be an easier way........ :?

All my storage media is formatted via fat16 on pc. I wanted to be able to transfer flawlessly to/from pc without having filenames truncated and cut off so I made sure I formatted all my disk, zip, floppys (back when I had them), CF's on pc. Your going to have headaches dealing with the truncated names, I'm telling you now. I stuck with strictly 8character filenames (as has been said and told many times in the forums). No easy way around that. You can format your media in MPC and use longer than 16 characters all you want, take it to mpc2kxl and it truncates the names longer than 8. Your PGM's and such will be looking for those long names. Unless you had a REALLY good naming scheme for each song and samples, your gonna have SO MUCH fun renaming LOTS of samples.

DAMN!!!!! :evil:

and a USB zip dive will not work on the new MPC? has anyone tried this yet? I refuse to belive that after making another MPC the brilliant people who designed it would make it so hard to use your old programs, seq etc on your new machine. What the hell were they thinking about? I mean unless you added a cf reader to your 2000xl or just got the latest 2000xl with the cf reader standard, you don't have a form of media that both machines read..........so even though the MPC2500 reads programs, seq's etc from the older 2000xl it doesn't really matter if there is no common media that you can transfer the files between the 2 with.

By Lampdog Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:12 pm
My 250 zip drive was INTERNAL on my 2kxl.
My 250 zip drive on my pc is INTERNAL.

Don't know if it will or won't work with the 2500, for now that's something jahrome or cre8tive would know.

By Bashir Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:19 pm
Lampdog wrote:My 250 zip drive was INTERNAL on my 2kxl.
My 250 zip drive on my pc is INTERNAL.

Don't know if it will or won't work with the 2500, for now that's something jahrome or cre8tive would know.

Ok, Ok, I got an Idea :idea: I have a cf card reader that I brought to put in my 2000xl a while back because I brought my 10 year old son a MPC 1000 and i thought I would be able to take his files from his MPC1000 and load them into my 2000xl in the studio for dumping and recording, only to later find out that the 2000xl does not read MPC1000 files. So I never installed it. So what Im thinking now is what if I install that cf card reader into my 2000xl and then hook my external Zip back up to the scsi on the 2000xl, buy a few 2gig memory cards for the CF reader, load my old programs, seqs, samples back into the MPC and save them all to the 2gig memory cards. Then when I get my 2500 I could just load them from the memory card to the new machine. What do you think? In theory it sounds a lot easier than, taking 1 zip disk formatted on the PC and loading every song or what have you to the MPC then saving it to the Zip formatted from the PC and then dumping it back over to the PC and then loading it back to the 2500 later via USB, not to mention what you were saying about me having to rename all those damn file because they would get truncated by the PC. Not to mention it may even make my MPC2000xl more valuable when I sell it! :lol: Does this sound like a good option :?:

By the way I appreciate your help seriously.

By zs941 Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:11 pm
you may want to try calling around to some computer stores in your area (or maybe even shops that sell akai gear) and see if they can help get the data off. just because your computer can't read the filesystem on the disk doesn't necessarily mean that you can't get the data off the zips using your computer. you may also want to search the internet for other akai users who may have had this problem (although the forums is probably the best place...)

By Lampdog Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:51 am
B, what model is the cf drive? is it atapi?

By Bashir Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:29 am
Lampdog wrote:B, what model is the cf drive? is it atapi?

Lamp, this is what's on the box and I researched it on this page before I brought it.

It's says IDE/ATAPI INTERFACE INTERNAL 6-1 CARD READER

No name brand, that I see.

By udenjoe Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:18 am
Testing :wink: sorry Please delete. the search function in this forum is a bit funky. Or I just don't get it.