Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500

By jahrome Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:12 pm
Knoxximus wrote:
Don't forget about the best timestretcher of them all.....the VP-9000.

It was the first but not the best. The same technolgy in the VP9000 is practically in all current Roland synth/samplers.

But you can get the VP-9000 for just a few hundred bucks today if you really wanted one.

By Knoxximus Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Yep, I know......I've been running 2 of them since when they was a few G'z. 8)

By jahrome Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:50 pm
Knoxximus wrote:
Yep, I know......I've been running 2 of them since when they was a few G'z.

:lol:

By hydroslanger Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:03 pm
jarhome, I used to have a MV and I know you did to. on the audio phrase bpm sync there were 11 or so differenttypesof timestretch so if one sounded bad there were 10 others to easily access. does the 2500 haveas many options or sound as good as the MV when it comes to timestretch?

By jahrome Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:30 pm
hydroslanger wrote:
jarhome, I used to have a MV and I know you did to. on the audio phrase bpm sync there were 11 or so differenttypesof timestretch so if one sounded bad there were 10 others to easily access. does the 2500 haveas many options or sound as good as the MV when it comes to timestretch?

There are 18 time stretch presets, 3 quality settings, and an adjust function for slight tweaks.

Earlier I wrote that I stretch a 1 minute sample of Camp Lo's 'This Is It'. I used the standard time stretch settings and it sounds as good as anything I have ever heard. (10x as fast as the XL).

By hydroslanger Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:33 pm
ive never used a 2000, is it like on the MV where while its playing you can just change settings or does it have to be prossesed?

By Knoxximus Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:02 pm
jahrome wrote:
Knoxximus wrote:
Yep, I know......I've been running 2 of them since when they was a few G'z.

:lol:

???

By jahrome Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:28 pm
:lol: :lol:

By Kalei Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:12 am
jahrome wrote:
Kalei wrote:
Are you saying chopshop and pathed phrase is the same thing then?

They are linked but not the same.

Chop Shop slices the samples. The chopped samples can be then assigned to a program (each slice assigned to a pad) or you can convert them to a Patched Phrase (all the chopped samples assigned to one pad).

I hate to drag this along but since I dont have the possibility to try out an mpc2500 in a store here (and doubt theyll stock em as they dont stock any mpcs or mv or anything like it around here).

So chopshop is recycle like chopping with assigning each sampel to a pad and patched phrase is simply - one pad plays all the chopped samples one after one.. Thats HARDLY realtime timestretching in my book.

So the biggest reason for me to go from 4000 to a 2500 just went *poof*

Thanks for the replies Jahrome

Kalei

By Blue Haze Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:13 am
Kalei wrote:
jahrome wrote:
Kalei wrote:
Are you saying chopshop and pathed phrase is the same thing then?

They are linked but not the same.

Chop Shop slices the samples. The chopped samples can be then assigned to a program (each slice assigned to a pad) or you can convert them to a Patched Phrase (all the chopped samples assigned to one pad).

I hate to drag this along but since I dont have the possibility to try out an mpc2500 in a store here (and doubt theyll stock em as they dont stock any mpcs or mv or anything like it around here).

So chopshop is recycle like chopping with assigning each sampel to a pad and patched phrase is simply - one pad plays all the chopped samples one after one.. Thats HARDLY realtime timestretching in my book.

So the biggest reason for me to go from 4000 to a 2500 just went *poof*

Thanks for the replies Jahrome

Kalei

It`s more of beatmapping especially if you want to match different loops to the same tempo that is how alot of programs work by slicing.

If you have a long or sustained note that you want to stretch or compress say a 1/4 note (like strings, bass, vocals, horns and etc) and above then the timestretching parameter comes into play to break down the note into tiny bits and reassemble them at a different speeds with adjust to add or substract different tones. No mpc as of yet does real-time timestretching to match tempos. Anyway beyond 20 to 25 bpms the timestretch would start squelching and blurring the notes unless you want the drum and bass style old school sound. Tempo matching beatmapping is part of the key. If you want to be creative and modified notes timestretching is cool on horns, bass, with pitch-shifting too. Flip that *****.

By Fist Full of Dollaz Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:29 pm
Can you have diff. chops from the same sample on separate pads all speed up and slow down together using the patched phrase timestretch feature

cuz sometimes u can sample something and the band changes tempo mid play