Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500

By jahrome Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:54 pm
P LOVE asked:
Akai Mpc 2500 or MachineDrum-UW?
I am in the market for a great drum machine Could people please tell me what I would gain getting a 2500 over a MD-UW or vice versa?

Getting both units can cost up to $4000 :shock:

By actuel Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:07 am
jahrome wrote:
P LOVE asked:
Akai Mpc 2500 or MachineDrum-UW?
I am in the market for a great drum machine Could people please tell me what I would gain getting a 2500 over a MD-UW or vice versa?

Getting both units can cost up to $4000 :shock:

...it could! but we all know with Ebay out there that this $4k number is top dollar'ish. you could get a used mpc1k for $500 etc... or buy a new mpc25k and a used MD, or, or, or...there's options and that's a beautiful thing!

peace
a

edit: just looked on Ebay and there's clean looking MD(non UW) starting at $825 and a 'BIN' for $945....for example.

By jahrome Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:13 am
Better yet...he could just buy the 2500 and you can sample all your Machinedrum drum kits and share your wealth....

By sleepersriddle Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:00 pm
My first point is: I'm not voting for one over the other, cause they are not even the same type of machine. So very different.

But regarding the md, I have to agree with the folks who mention that it is not just about the sounds, it is about the way it lets you make a pattern with constantly morphing, changing sound parameters. compared to the mpc, there are more parameters, and the md's interface makes it about 10 times faster to tweak a bunch of things at once. (basically everything grouped together in the same window, with 8 knobs accessible at once... you can really fly on that interface.)

Look at it this way::: on the md you have a smaller set of 'instruments' to work with, but those instruments have more range and more options. On the mpc, you can start with any sound you want, but the manipulation isn't as crazy.

I ended up getting both (1k and sps-1) and I love em both, and I use them for totally different things. If you get a md sample cd, you can learn about the sonic 'flavor', but if you want to know what the machine is all about you gotta try one, that's for sure.

When i was trying to learn what gear i liked, i bought a 1k for a week and just returned it... basically a free rental. Then I ended up buying it later once i was sure. It's a good technique :).
By roxstar Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:00 pm
The machine drum isn't a sampler. And you can create new drum sounds with any MPC. You will just need any cheap sampler to re-sample with. even with out another samper, you can always stack/layer sounds to create new sounds.
I used to own the sid-station and sold it for a casio cz-3000. The sid was nice, but for the price, it just wasn't worth it. I am much happier with my a-4000 sampler and sid samples on cd to mutalate. In fact (I posted this on another page) I have found that the cheapest way to get original sounds is with the computer. There's nothing worse (personal opinion) than creating a song, and hearing the same sound(s) on TV/radio that you have in your own music... or knowing that your $1000+ keyboard has been used in many popular songs. I'm done with always buying more cables...always needing more electrical outlets... having all that 'spaghetti' behind my desk and not knowing what cable goes to what... always pulling on a chord to see where it's gong to... you know what I mean. I feel you with the machine drum, I checked it out for myself...it may be for you, but now I'm at the point where I just need what works. Everything else can go, and the computer with all it's options (sound wise) is a perfect choice. Drums, synths, bass, etc. Forget all the gear chasing (one module for sounds.. another for drums, a collection of synths for original sounds) .. you quest will never be done. Get a computer, and you and your friends can share a few programs giving you unlimited possibilities. That's what many other producers are doing right now.
ps. There may already be a machine-drum plug-in available. Searching on ebay, I found exact digital copies of various sound modules for your computer. All the kits on a dvd rom for like $15. Motiff, triton's, etc. I'd rather pay $15 for motiff sounds, than to shell out $1500, plus less electrical outlets, more 1/4 inch cables, and less space on the actual keyboard. Nahmean? :)

By sleepersriddle Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:47 pm
hey, whatever works for you.

i started off with reason, then ableton, combined with cubase, vsts out the ying yang, all that stuff. it just seemed to boring and clinical and wasnt fun. so i switched to hw and now i have to drag myself away from it :).

besides, if anyone needs to use hardware its me cause i do computer programming for my day job. What kind of a cave troll would i be if i sit in front of the screen all day then come home, go to my room and sit in front of the screen there. thats no life, if you hear me.

but...
whatever you enjoy more!! just do that.

By joshmikszan Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:20 pm
I have both and I highly recomend the combo. It is a similar concept to having an 808 and an MPC 60 or 3k back in the day. The difference is that the Machinedrum sounds amazing and clean and has mountains more capability than an 808 and 909 combined. Also the MPC 2.5k is modernized as compared to the old mpc.

My advise. Get a 1k BK with the new V2 OS and the regular Machinedrum for less than $2000 If you can find the MD on ebay. I paid $950 for mine when the UW came out cause people always want the new one. If I didn't like the pads on the 2.5k better I would sell it and get a 1k.

Also I have a feeling the 2.5k is going to get an OS update soon that will give it more of a leg up on the 1k.

Both, man
Drums for the rest of your life

By mahoney Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:06 pm
Sold my mpc1k, got Monomachine SFX6 to go with my SPS1-uw haven't looked back since. Ok, sure I come here occasionally waiting to get in on the action on another MPC. Right now I'm thinking I'll hold out untill I know which MPC will work out best for me. Why sacrifice portability for an extra pair of non-functional midi-ports :)

So I'm MPC-free. Thinking of getting the Spektralis - which would sort of integrate a Sherman Filterbank with a.. something insane.

About the Machinedrum vs Whatever else: I don't see any other way to trig amp, filter and lfo separately for a particular sound. I don't see parameter locks, arpeggios or step songwriting anywhere else. Sampling 10.000 snares onto DVD won't do it. Can we all agree on that transpose, swing and slide and the simple fact that composing in Elektron's step edit, in mono, is likely to do something to the musical output?

By arctec Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:44 am
just found this:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews ... wsid=2129#

check out the video - that's mad turntable technique into a drum machine :-)

By distortedtekno Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:40 am
arctec wrote:just found this:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews ... wsid=2129#

check out the video - that's mad turntable technique into a drum machine :-)

I saw that video a few months back, and it's tight. For a while I've been deciding what to buy for my next piece of gear. I'm about 99.9% sure, it'll be the MachineDrum SPS-1UW. It's the perfect addition to my exisitng setup, and would definitely be the perfect companion for my SidStation. 8)

By descartes Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:34 am
P LOVE wrote:I am looking to do Clonehop and anything that is fresh and not trip like! **** you to all who reply.

By mpc3000 Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:43 pm
"fresh and not clone like"

So you are not interested in Top40 also? Kewl.

jahrome said:
"My statement was attemtping to get him the closest to having both without spending alot of money..which is valid."

Actually that is not valid. The original poster said nothing about 'spending a lot of money'.

By jahrome Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:15 pm
mpc3000 posted:
jahrome said:
"My statement was attemtping to get him the closest to having both without spending alot of money..which is valid."

mpc3000 wrote:
Actually that is not valid. The original poster said nothing about 'spending a lot of money'.

You are entitled to your opinion. When it comes to making a purchase, talking about costs is always valid....and I already answered the question. I would get the 2500.

Is that all you will add to the conversation :lol:

By peezie Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:59 am
keep talking jahrome. youre going in circles making no sense.