Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By studio hermit Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:43 pm
i dont have a 2500 yet but i hope to have one soon, but i need some clarification first. say i have 3 different 1 bar samples at all different tempos say 60 120 and 80, is it true that the 2500 will make all of theses the same tempo that i have my master tempo set for.

By jahrome Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:16 pm
studio hermit wrote:
i dont have a 2500 yet but i hope to have one soon, but i need some clarification first. say i have 3 different 1 bar samples at all different tempos say 60 120 and 80, is it true that the 2500 will make all of theses the same tempo that i have my master tempo set for.

Yes...and no.

Converting your samples to a patched phrase will allow the MPCs master tempo to make tempo changes of the sample without effecting the pitch. However, if you assign these different samples with different tempos to a track, they will not playback at the same tempo. The 120 sample will still playback faster than the 60 no matter what you set the master tempo too.

You wil have to use the timestretch (non-real time) to set the samples to the same tempo..and then use the patch phrase function.
By Cru Jones Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:38 pm
studio hermit wrote:i dont have a 2500 yet but i hope to have one soon, but i need some clarification first. say i have 3 different 1 bar samples at all different tempos say 60 120 and 80, is it true that the 2500 will make all of theses the same tempo that i have my master tempo set for.

Yeah, it's like Jahrome said, and depending on the samples used, you may or may not get good results... with the huge descrepancy in tempos that you described, I'm leaning towards not. If you want something that does what your describing, get Ableton Live, it will do it automatically. It's crazy. It basically treats audio like it's liquid... beat matching, time stretching, pitch shifting, all in real time as the beat plays. Check out the demo. It's free. :D

By Lampdog Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:45 pm
those are also extreme tempos to try and match.

Will they even sound natural after an extreme
stretch like that, my guess is no.

By Krase Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:03 am
I would agree with Cru Jones and use Ableton Live. However, as Lampdog said, will the final result sound natural at the end... ??