Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500

By peezie Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:24 am
Limited memory forces you to be creative and selective with samples. Good or bad depending on how you look at it.

jahrome wrote:Many of us have small spaces for our personal studios so I feel you on having somethings small...but having a full size MPC is something I personally wouldm't sacrifice. In a studio set-up, I have never used more than 32 MBs in my MPC.

By REN Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:40 am
peezie wrote:Just like they fixed 4000? People are still witing jesus to come back..

im back Peezie, im back

By Fist Full of Dollaz Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:43 am
jahrome wrote:
cowbell wrote:
couple of reasons:
- smaller size (my little studio is packed so i need every inch)
- much more memory
- CF card (never bothered to get a ZIP or anything for the 2k)
- the ability to re-sample the outputs directly

The only thing i liked better on the 2000 is the layout of the knobs which makes it easier to do fast edits. But thats the consequence of having a smaller size machine.

Many of us have small spaces for our personal studios so I feel you on having somethings small...but having a full size MPC is something I personally wouldm't sacrifice. In a studio set-up, I have never used more than 32 MBs in my MPC. I may use more than that it a keyboard sampler or rack mount sampler..but never in an MPC outside of the 4000. Having a CF card today is great especially since many PCs now have them standard and even my Fantom workstations have them. The ability to re-sample its own outputs is a nice feature..but not essential. With these few features that you mentioned...I would have kept the MPC 2000 :wink: But that is just me personally. I couldn't look past the cute little pads that the MPC 1000 has. Also, the graphic waveform display of samples are inferior when compaired with the 2000.

But of course you like the MPC 1000...but I have a feeling that you have or will be getting an MPC 2500 :wink:

resampling its own outputs is essential to building a crazy drum library

By cowbell Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:12 am
jahrome wrote:Many of us have small spaces for our personal studios so I feel you on having somethings small...but having a full size MPC is something I personally wouldm't sacrifice. In a studio set-up, I have never used more than 32 MBs in my MPC. I may use more than that it a keyboard sampler or rack mount sampler..but never in an MPC outside of the 4000. Having a CF card today is great especially since many PCs now have them standard and even my Fantom workstations have them. The ability to re-sample its own outputs is a nice feature..but not essential. With these few features that you mentioned...I would have kept the MPC 2000 :wink: But that is just me personally. I couldn't look past the cute little pads that the MPC 1000 has. Also, the graphic waveform display of samples are inferior when compaired with the 2000.

But of course you like the MPC 1000...but I have a feeling that you have or will be getting an MPC 2500 :wink:

Re-sampling IS essential for me, i stack sounds together, route them trough outboard effects/compression and sample it again. With the 2000 i had to bounce it to another device and sample it back into the 2000.
Pad size isn't an issue for me, i can hit them with 2 fingers if i want. :) Again this is due to the overall size of the machine.
The 2000 only had LINEAR display of waveform, the 1K has LINEAR and LOGARITHMIC which makes precise editing musch easier.
But there's no need to start a debate about which MPC is better. I like all MPC's and you're right, i might get a 2500 in the future.
F.O.B. asked about the difference between the 1k and the 2500 (seq and sound). From your statement about the 1k as main sequencer he might get the impression it sucks, that's all.

By Toecutter Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:15 am
How is the editing on the 1000 inferior? The waveform editing is alot easier because the screen is bigger... on my old og2000 the screen is BEYOND TINY... even with my contact lenses on I gotta squint to do the editing if I look at the waveform!

By jahrome Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:37 pm
cowbell wrote:
The 2000 only had LINEAR display of waveform, the 1K has LINEAR and LOGARITHMIC which makes precise editing musch easier.
............F.O.B. asked about the difference between the 1k and the 2500 (seq and sound). From your statement about the 1k as main sequencer he might get the impression it sucks, that's all.

Toecutter wrote:
How is the editing on the 1000 inferior? The waveform editing is alot easier because the screen is bigger... on my old og2000 the screen is BEYOND TINY... even with my contact lenses on I gotta squint to do the editing if I look at the waveform!

I find editing on the MPC 2000 much better and easier on an MPC 2000/2000XL. The size of the MPC 2500/1000 display is just slightly bigger than the 2000/2000XL. I can pefectly loop a sample on the MPC 2000/2000XL by just looking at the waveform (no need to listen to the sample).

When the new OS drops for the MPC 1000, it will temporarily have many of the OS functions of the 2500s first OS :wink: (minus some key features). The sequencers will still be pretty close....the sequencers in all MPCs are pretty close.

I would still pick up a $500-$600 XL if I couldn't spend $1600-$1800 on a 2500 though.

By Emakulate Conception Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:37 pm
At the time it was just a matter of money for me, but I would have bought the 2500 over the 1000.

I switched from the 2000 to the 1000 and other than some things like the navagation and the pads, I honestly like the 1000 better. Features like loading multiple programs, the ability to use folders, and the CF cards make it a more efficent machine in my eyes. The 2000xl could have got me the same things, but I like the 1000's portability, I can take it back and forth to work in a laptop bag.

By tiger vomitt Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:38 pm
had a chance to sit down with the 2500 recently. very nice! really great, seriously. as said before, with the 1000 OS 2.0 youre going to be able to do most of the things that the 2500 can do.

that is, until they throw some crazy who knows what into the 2500 to up the ante again ;) i keep thinking about that. cuz why else would they step up the 1k like that???

anyway, the 2500 was so sweet to use that i have found myself thinking about upgrading to that. even though i love my 1k completely. i keep thinking about the awesome chunky jog wheel, the nice soft buttons that wont leave my fingers all red and raw haha, the tilty screen, the friggin NUMBER PAD??? ugh the # pad, i miss that from my other akai sh1t. lots of good stuff in that 2500 yeah.

but no it is not really as portable and it takes up considerably more desk space. and may end up only beig 15% more feature laden than the 1k. so basically i dont freakin know

By jahrome Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:53 pm
MPCs have always been the center piece of my studio, where I do most of my work. I have never imagined taking my MPC out of my studio....its too precious :D Since everybody that I know that is interested in music production has an MPC, there may never be a moment that I will need to transport one.

Yall need to grow some muscles :lol: Get yourselves a hard carrying case and any of the newer MPCs are portable (with the exception of the 4000).

Also, get one of those tiltable mixer stands. They work perfectly for MPCs and clears your desk space.

By tiger vomitt Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:57 pm
ahhh but you gotta have somewhere to put that too (a mixer stand)

and me, i gotta be in the speaker's sweet spot to really hear what's up. so basically, NO :lol:

By jahrome Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:11 pm
tiger vomitt wrote:

and me, i gotta be in the speaker's sweet spot to really hear what's up. so basically, NO

The MPC is for music composition not mixing :lol: But I do respect that many have small spaces to work with and may need to set-up this way. Don't mind me...I'm just messing around :D

By tiger vomitt Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:18 pm
jahrome wrote:
tiger vomitt wrote:

and me, i gotta be in the speaker's sweet spot to really hear what's up. so basically, NO

The MPC is for music composition not mixing :lol: But I do respect that many have small spaces to work with and may need to set-up this way.

mixing is music composition. it doesnt really have anything to do with real estate. unfortunately there's only so much that can be placed right in front of the speakers

By jahrome Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:29 pm
tiger vomitt wrote:
mixing is music composition. it doesnt really have anything to do with real estate. unfortunately there's only so much that can be placed right in front of the speakers

If you look around hard enough, you can probably find pics of your favorite producer's personal studio. Rarely will you find an MPC in the 'sweet spot' of the studio.

A mixer/control surface, LCD monitor, mose, and keyboard are things that best suited in this spot.....but I did have my MPC in this spot to a I realized that it doesn't need to be there when I am multi-track recording and mixing.

By tiger vomitt Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:32 pm
jahrome wrote:
tiger vomitt wrote:

If you look around hard enough, you can probably find pics of your favorite producer's personal studio. Rarely will you find an MPC in the 'sweet spot' of the studio.

A mixer/control surface, LCD monitor, mose, and keyboard are things that best suited in this spot.....but I did have my MPC in this spot to a I realized that it doesn't need to be there when I am multi-track recording and mixing.

dude i dont give a crap what other people do. i sit here and makes beats all day. that's how i make a living. i wanna be in my sweet spot WAHHHHHHH!!!!!! haha :lol: mommy why doesnt jahrome want me to be in my sweet spot?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

By jahrome Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:36 pm
tiger vomitt wrote:
dude i dont give a **** what other people do. i sit here and makes beats all day. that's how i make a living. i wanna be in my sweet spot WAHHHHHHH!!!!!! haha mommy why doesnt jahrome want me to be in my sweet spot?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

So you make a living off of doing beats all day??

I hope you ain't losing any money because of me :lol: