Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By drumtrack Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:10 pm
I can sell my MPC4000 for 2 grand, I bought it for 1800 two years ago. I can buy another one and save some cash or buy a new mpc2500 and save some cash. Its all profit here hehe :-)

Few question about 2500
Is it possible to audition samples from the HD and mediacard?
Also, how does the audio recorder work? Do you have seperate auditracks or is it like on the mpc4000 by recording to midi notes?
does it have a modulation matrix?
does it have a qlink sequence feature?
how are the fx compared to the mpc4000? i mean quality-wise... how do they sound?
.... Thankzzz

By jahrome Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:16 pm
I will attempt to answer a few questions....

Yes, the MPC 2500 can preview samples from hard drive, flash card, or CD Rom drive.

The effects in the 4000 destroys anything ever offered in any MPC including the 2500.

The 2500 has 1 continous sample track, which the MPC 4000 doesn't. You can actually record audio directly onto this track..similar to a multi-track recorder. It doesn't just record a MIDI note.

By jahrome Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:34 am
Fist Full of Dollaz wrote:
just to add to that, I myself am satisfied with the effects

its more than enough for doing hip hop

Damn...I hope no one else feels that same. I was hoping for a big improvement in this area. The MPC 2500s effects are primitive compaired to what other pieces of gear have in the same price range.

By Fist Full of Dollaz Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:46 am
jahrome wrote:
just to add to that, I myself am satisfied with the effects

its more than enough for doing hip hop

Damn...I hope no one else feels that same. I was hoping for a big improvement in this area. The MPC 2500s effects are primitive compaired to what other pieces of gear have in the same price range.

I'm happy now cuz I never owned a sampler that had any effects

I had a 2000xl but never got the eb-16 upgrade, so now with the little bit that the 2500 has I'm like a kid in a candy shop

and I have protools but it was too much of a hassle to tranfers all the sounds add effects and then back again

..but thats just me I only do hip hop and u dont need a gizzilion effects anyway

By jahrome Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:36 am

I had a 2000xl but never got the eb-16 upgrade, so now with the little bit that the 2500 has I'm like a kid in a candy shop

and I have protools but it was too much of a hassle to tranfers all the sounds add effects and then back again

..but thats just me I only do hip hop and u dont need a gizzilion effects anyway

I know there are a million and one ways to do things but....once your tracks are in Pro Tools, why transfer them back to the MPC? The effects in the MPC 2500/1000 are lame compaired to the stock effects in most multi-track recording programs..including Pro Tools. Akai could have done much better....they could have at least added a scaled down version of the effects in the 4000. I use the 2500s effects like a scratch pad/ideas. (using it infrequently)...mainly doing Hip-hop and R&B.

By Fist Full of Dollaz Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:25 pm
jahrome wrote:

I know there are a million and one ways to do things but....once your tracks are in Pro Tools, why transfer them back to the MPC? The effects in the MPC 2500/1000 are lame compaired to the stock effects in most multi-track recording programs..including Pro Tools. Akai could have done much better....they could have at least added a scaled down version of the effects in the 4000. I use the 2500s effects like a scratch pad/ideas. (using it infrequently)...mainly doing Hip-hop and R&B.

because I would want effects on a sample that I have chopped up and I will still be composing the beat

I go to protools usually when I'm done putting together the beat

its just more hassle to do it that way

By DJ A-Sharp Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:17 pm
Yo fist?

On the real, how is the 2500 compared to 2000XL. i have the classsic 2000 and I want to upgrade and now that you can get a 2000XL with the compact flash drive, a dude is torn between the two. I'm leaning more towards the 2500 cause as akai has done in the past i know they will phase out all existance of their previous MPC models and the 2500 has "compresson" on the effects side which is hella important to me. My only gripe with the 2500 is the difficulty in reading the classsic MPC2000's info and alot of the bugs I hear that it has esspecially with the c and d midi ports....all in all have you been happy with the decision to get the 2500.

A-Sharp

By jahrome Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:54 pm
because I would want effects on a sample that I have chopped up and I will still be composing the beat

I go to protools usually when I'm done putting together the beat

its just more hassle to do it that way

If that method gets the results you need....do your thing and continue doing it that way.

I just hope there are other MPC 2500 users that find the on-board effects lacking and voice their concerns...so hopefully Akai will be listening and improve in this area. If not, I will continue to multi-track my MPC tracks into Nuendo 3 (until I get Pro Tools HD next Christmas :) ) and add effects/mix within that software.

DJ A-Sharp wrote:
My only gripe with the 2500 is the difficulty in reading the classsic MPC2000's info and alot of the bugs I hear that it has esspecially with the c and d midi ports....all in all have you been happy with the decision to get the 2500.

Difficulty reading classis MPC2000s info? From what you hear or from personal experience? MPC 2000 SEQ and Program files as well as SND/wav files should work fine. As far as 'bugs', there haven't been that many reported in these forums. Some of the ones that were reported seem to be isolated incidents and not reproducable. But the MIDI C/D 'bug' is a major headache...and most didn't discover it until after a thread was posted because they were not using the additional MIDI OUTs.

By drumtrack Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:30 am
one more..
can you adjust the attack, decay, amp, filter/eq, pan from each individual sample within a program? and from teh global program aswell.. like the mpc4000

By drumtrack Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:42 am
I think Im gonna go for it :D .. Together with an Akai S5000. Jahrome made me think a few weeks back and now that I have the perfect opportunity ........
If Im not satisfied afterwards I think I can switch a 2500 for a 4000 somewhere rather quick.

In theory , I can play back all my mpc4000 projects.. (minor a few fx) with the mpc2500 (4k drumprogram) and the S5000 (akp) + standard midi for all the sequences, rught?

By jahrome Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:48 am
drumtrack posted:
one more..
can you adjust the attack, decay, amp, filter/eq, pan from each individual sample within a program? and from teh global program aswell.. like the mpc4000

The MPC 2500 is not an MPC 4000. They serve different purposes/fit different peoples needs :wink:

You can adjust the attack, decay, filter, pan, etc on individual samples within a program for any MPC ever created :shock:

The 2500 has a Global EQ and Compression functions. It also has 2 FXs but you have to share these effects with the other programs/effects within the MPC.

For an MPC such as the 2500, having global program settings will probably go under utilized. The 2500 is not a multi-sampler in the sense as the MPC 4000. Most people wouldn't want to filter, decay, etc the entire program. Having these functions for individual elememts make sense.

By jahrome Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:52 am
drumtrack wrote:
I think Im gonna go for it .. Together with an Akai S5000. Jahrome made me think a few weeks back and now that I have the perfect opportunity ........
If Im not satisfied afterwards I think I can switch a 2500 for a 4000 somewhere rather quick.

In theory , I can play back all my mpc4000 projects.. (minor a few fx) with the mpc2500 (4k drumprogram) and the S5000 (akp) + standard midi for all the sequences, rught?

As long as the S5000 can faithfully load the 4000s AKP files...you should not have any problems.

By drumtrack Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:56 am
i had one once... its 16bit, 44100hz, right?

By jahrome Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:20 am
S60000 is at least 16 bit but could be more. Its samples at 44.1 or 48. The S5000 should have the same specs.

If you had a Z series sampler, you will have the same sample engine of the 4000s.