Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By subvertbeats Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:09 pm
Just found some time to start to hammer the 2500...

Ive had 6 or 7 crashes (mainly complete lockups, a couple of times screen garbled, but luckily still able to save) in the last 24 hours when using the timetretch in trim->edit mode.

not had a single lockup until ive started to use the TS.

anyone else seeing this ?

By macmusic78 Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:41 pm
i had a crash too when i tried the timestrech function - haven´t done it since then cause i prepare the samples on the mac first...

By sparq Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:15 pm
using the time stretch on the 1k has not given me the same problems you have. it's the same feature (built and written the same as the 2.5k) i tried to overwrite after stretching and still was not able to reproduce the problem. i have to see what's up.

By jahrome Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:16 pm
If you need help trouble shooting this problem, you need to give more details.

1. The size/tempo of the sample
2. Time stretch settings
3. Memory size/brand

By subvertbeats Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:18 pm
jahrome wrote:If you need help trouble shooting this problem, you need to give more details.

1. The size/tempo of the sample
2. Time stretch settings
3. Memory size/brand

thanks jahrome, i work in software, so know the procs when it comes to bug reporting - was just an initial post to see if it was a known problem - save myself the trouble of writing all the following ;)

its reproducible nearly every time with this unit, and this particular sample. other samples seem to cause no problem (not entirely true as it has happened with other samples, but infrequently)

its not something im doing wrong. the timestretch itself works fine, and i can hit PLAY and audition it. Its when I try to select overwrite that the problem occurs.
I just did it again and it didnt freeze but the screen became garbled:

clicking EDIT on that screen gets this:

I can go back to MAIN and continue working no problem, but at this point ive been saving to a new folder and rebooting the machine, out of precaution. Far more irritating (and unfortunately more regular) is the complete lock up....

> Memory - standard 16mb
> Sample is approx 200,00 samples in length, stereo, sampled directly into the unit
> Time stretch settings have mainly been LF Orch C, but has happened with other settings too
> Original tempo set to 94, new tempo 83, but again, has happened with other settings.

just had a crash in song mode too, whilst deleting a sequence...

By aprim Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:32 pm
Man I hate to jump the gun but I was having a problem like this too. Which turned out to be a bum unit.

I was getting the same screen when I went to save.

Do you have a HD in the there? My HD wouldnt show up half the time as well and when I went to save to it bam, I would get that screen. Plus it eventually started doing that all the time. I got a new unit to replace the old one.

You may want to call akai or the place you bought it from.

By cowbell Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:04 pm
Looks like a software bug to me, those screens remind me a bug in the 1k back on os 1.0.4
There was an issue with trimming mono samples and if you pushed it too far the screen would scramble like that.

By jahrome Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:56 pm
subvertbeats,

When re-producing this problem, are you close to maxing out the MPC 2500s memory? How long is sample (in terms of time)?

Also, is this sample 16 bit and is it a sampled at 44.1 Khz?

By jahrome Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:46 pm
subvertbeats wrote:
hi jahrome.

> sampled directly into the mpc, 16bit 44.1
> sample around 1 second in length
> memory in use around 10mb of 16

thanks

Confirmed :cry:

I can reproduce a similar 'bug' 90% of the time. When attemtping to time stretch samples 1 sec in lenghth and shorter can cause your MPC 2500 to crash. I didn't get the exact results you did, but doing this cause my MPC 2500 to shut down and reboot.

Also, if you attempt to edit samples when you are close to maxing out the MPC 2500s memory will cause the MPC to crash as well.

By jahrome Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:00 pm
No problem. I just wish Akai steps up and give us an OS update to fix these issues. Its been 3 months since the release and in the past, there have usually been at least 1 OS update within the first couple of months of an MPC release.