Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Fist Full of Dollaz Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:49 am
I think I may have discovered another problem that needs to be corrected with the new OS

I have my proteus 2000 hooked to midi B

I'll record midi to track 1 and its set to 1B

I'll go to track 2 and record instrument 2B and so on

...of course 1B,2B, etc. represent diff. instruments in the proteus

but sometimes when I go to record the next track 3,4 or so on it'll change the previous instruments in the proteus to whatever instrument 1B is

I've tried changing the soft thru to off, and as track but it kept happening

I never had this prob. when I had the same config. with my 2000xl

has anyone else had or noticed this problem?
can anyone make any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

By jahrome Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:53 pm
It sounds like your Proteus isn't in multi-mode.

By Fist Full of Dollaz Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:11 pm
jahrome wrote:It sounds like your Proteus isn't in multi-mode.

I tried that also before posting

Its usually set on multi, but just to experiment I set it to omni and poly just to see if that was the problem and it still kept happening

could it be anything else that you can think of?

can u reproduce the problem? I hope its nothing serious but it seems like an OS issue or probelm with the proteus communicating with the 2500

By jahrome Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:25 pm
Let me get right back to you. I had the same issue at first and it was one setting I had to make and everything was all good. I believe it is in one of these threads as well.

By pumpinbits Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:12 pm
I had a problem like like that to
I think this tread may help you "Play Start button/program changes"

peace

By jahrome Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:41 pm
Is the submit program changes within the MPC turned off??

By jahrome Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:50 am
Its not a problem with the MPC....you must be missing something.

I just did a simple 4 track, 2 bar sequence loop using MIDI Out B connected to my Proteus 2000.

MPC Settings:

MIDI:
Active track receive channel: ALL
Soft thru: As track
Sequence change by program: Off
Pad to internal sound: On

Main Screen:
Pgm: No 1-128 (for patch selection)
MIDI: 1-4B (MIDI OUT channel selection)
Bank select: No
Transmit Pgm changes in this track: Yes

Proteus Settings:

MIDI Mode: Multi
Set to receive MIDI Program changes on each channel

I use these settings when selecting the Proteus patches from my MPC.

If you are selecting the Proteus patches from the Proteus..you have to modify the settings above. You can turn off the Receive MIDI Program Changes on the Proteus or the transmit MIDI Program change on the MPC. Also, make sure that the bank Select is turned off in the MPC if you want to select patches from the Proteus.

Hope this helps if you haven't found the solution already.

One.
Last edited by jahrome on Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Fist Full of Dollaz Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:16 pm
it was the "transmit program changes in this track" it needed to be turned to NO after pressing open window on Pgm: No.1

the part that I dont like is on every track I have to open that window and set it to NO even if I did in the previous track with the same Pgm: No.

By jahrome Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:35 am
You can leave transmit program changes ON and just select your Proteus Patches directly from the MPC using the correct MSB/LSB settings.

Or you can just turn off receive Program Changes in the Proteus.

You may not like that function on the 2500 but this is one of its best features.

By Fist Full of Dollaz Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:36 pm
jahrome wrote:You can leave transmit program changes ON and just select your Proteus Patches directly from the MPC using the correct MSB/LSB settings.

You may not like that function on the 2500 but this is one of its best features.

in your opinion......

problem is its not that useful if i want my patches to remain after turning the proteus off

...and it defeats the whole purpose of being able to do that if I still have to go to the proteus and save all the patches again

....in other words I have my favorite patches saved in 1-12 I use the last 4 as floaters

I do what works for me

By jahrome Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:14 pm
Fist Full of Dollaz wrote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jahrome:
You can leave transmit program changes ON and just select your Proteus Patches directly from the MPC using the correct MSB/LSB settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in your opinion......

problem is its not that useful if i want my patches to remain after turning the proteus off

...and it defeats the whole purpose of being able to do that if I still have to go to the proteus and save all the patches again

....in other words I have my favorite patches saved in 1-12 I use the last 4 as floaters

I do what works for me

I am only trying to help. I am not really sure what you are saying.

Of course you are free to do things your own way.

The MPC 2500 is not intended to program your synth patches. You will continue to program patches on your favorite synth and save them to a User Bank. These user banks have a specific MSB/LSB and Program number. You dial in these numbers on the MPC, and the MPC will pull them up everytime.

You can also just save your synth patches in a multi-program...but after a while, you may run out of storage space to save these programs. With the MPC you can assign these patches on each track..eliminating the need to save these programs on your synth.

By Fist Full of Dollaz Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:10 pm
jahrome wrote:
quote:
Originally posted by jahrome:

in your opinion......

I do what works for me

I am only trying to help. I am not really sure what you are saying.

Of course you are free to do things your own way.

The MPC 2500 is not intended to program your synth patches. You will continue to program patches on your favorite synth and save them to a User Bank. These user banks have a specific MSB/LSB and Program number. You dial in these numbers on the MPC, and the MPC will pull them up everytime.

You can also just save your synth patches in a multi-program...but after a while, you may run out of storage space to save these programs. With the MPC you can assign these patches on each track..eliminating the need to save these programs on your synth.

ok maybe I'm a little confused about how it works

where are those msb/lsb #s located in the proteus?

are u saying as long as I have those #s typed into the mpc and saved, that whenever I turn the proteus off and then on again it will pull up the correct patch without even have saved them to user presets?

I appreciate ur help, sorry if I came off the wrong way earlier, stuff seems a little diff. when its typed and read and not actually heard

By jahrome Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:50 pm

are u saying as long as I have those #s typed into the mpc and saved, that whenever I turn the proteus off and then on again it will pull up the correct patch without even have saved them to user presets?

I appreciate ur help, sorry if I came off the wrong way earlier, stuff seems a little diff. when its typed and read and not actually heard

Its all good man.......Other forum members turned me onto this info.

Use MSB: 0 and LSB 0,1,2, or 3 for the User Patches. If this data is saved on your MPC, it will recall the correct patches on your Proteus..every time..whether your turn it on/off...as long as the Proteus is in Multi-mode.

Use MSB 4 and LSB 0-7 for the Composer Presets.

Every modern synth has specific MSB/LSB settings which can be found towards the back of User/Owners manuals. This info can sometimes be found with the Patch Listings for a particular synth.

By Fist Full of Dollaz Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:17 pm
jahrome wrote:

Its all good man.......Other forum members turned me onto this info.

Use MSB: 0 and LSB 0,1,2, or 3 for the User Patches. If this data is saved on your MPC, it will recall the correct patches on your Proteus..every time..whether your turn it on/off...as long as the Proteus is in Multi-mode.

Use MSB 4 and LSB 0-7 for the Composer Presets.

Every modern synth has specific MSB/LSB settings which can be found towards the back of User/Owners manuals. This info can sometimes be found with the Patch Listings for a particular synth.

thanks for the info I'm gonna experiment with that

I gotta go download the manual now though