Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Quiet Storm Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:12 am
I just bought this Seagate hard drive for my 2500 and when I went to plug the cable in to the mpc I realized that it was also a female connection like the other end of cable.

Do you have to buy a male to female cable seperately?

I couldnt find anyone with the same problem when I searched...

Thanks

By jahrome Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:23 am
Did you buy this drive which is listed on the Akai web page:
Seagate ST92011A ST92011A 20GB

Or something else?

By Quiet Storm Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:35 am
This is the one I got. I thought I would try it out since it was only 40 bucks with the rebate. The picture explains all my problems pretty much, one end of the cable will plug into the hard drive, there is a grey connector on the cable that I think will get in the way of the installation, and the blue connector is just like the one in the mpc.

Could I go to a computer store and buy a female to male connector to try and fix this or should I stick with trying to get one of the "approved ones"?

Thanks

By Lampdog Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:58 am
was the drive you bought listed as compatible on the akai site
or any other mpc 2500 friendly site?

on the box it says pc or mac, not mpc.

By Quiet Storm Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:06 am
Lampdog wrote:was the drive you bought listed as compatible on the akai site
or any other mpc 2500 friendly site?

on the box it says pc or mac, not mpc.

lol, nah I dont think it was on the site

By mrnymms Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:08 am
u can not put a 3.5 drive in the 2500. It needs to be a laptop drive which is i believe a 2.5 drive. I would suggest getting an approved one from the akai website.
Last edited by mrnymms on Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

By jahrome Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:13 am
Co-sign...it will make your life easier by just getting one of the drives on the Akai approved list. They are all cheap/reasonably priced and are available.

By Quiet Storm Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:31 am
U need a laptop hard drive? man, I cant find any of the ones on the website,

Could somebody give me a link to the specs I need?

Do the approved ones come with the right cable?
Last edited by Quiet Storm on Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Fist Full of Dollaz Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:32 am
Quiet Storm wrote:This is the one I got. I thought I would try it out since it was only 40 bucks with the rebate. The picture explains all my problems pretty much, one end of the cable will plug into the hard drive, there is a grey connector on the cable that I think will get in the way of the installation, and the blue connector is just like the one in the mpc.

Could I go to a computer store and buy a female to male connector to try and fix this or should I stick with trying to get one of the "approved ones"?

Thanks

are those ribbons from inside the 2500?

By Quiet Storm Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:33 am
Thats the cable that came with the hard drive I shouldnt of bought

By Quiet Storm Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:45 am
jahrome wrote:it will make your life easier by just getting one of the drives on the Akai approved list. They are all cheap/reasonably priced and are available.

Could you tell me a good place to get one online, and which one do you think is the best deal?

Thanks

By sparq Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:53 pm
Quiet Storm wrote:U need a laptop hard drive? man, I cant find any of the ones on the website,

Could somebody give me a link to the specs I need?

Do the approved ones come with the right cable?
the one that i have and working right (if you want a 100gb drive) is the Toshiba MK1032GAX.

you do not need a ribbon cable or any cable for that matter. everything you need is on the HD tray inside your 2500. all it takes is just 6 screws (4 to hold the drive on the tray and 2 to hold the tray on the 2500)

By elliz Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:23 pm
i found decent prices at pricewatch.com

By jahrome Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:58 pm
Co-sign. That's a good place to start.

By Quiet Storm Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:58 am
Everything is all good guys. I exchanged hard drives today and the only one Circuit CIty had works fine. The installation went smooth, I lost a screw in the process but besides that its pretty quiet, I can barely hear it and thats when my ears are directly ON THE PADS.

I just got it about an hour ago and its installed already with some samples ready to use. Thanks for the help.

I guess you can add this one to the list of drives that work. Peace