Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By DeLivRance Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:56 am
So Ive been looking at MPC models for awhile now and I came to the conclusion that the 2500 is the one for me BUT its not affordable nor is it necessary right now. Im more interested in these 2 models for the time being because theyre both compact and from what Ive read beginner friendly but which one is for me? I want to hook it up to my laptop and master with pro tools and what not but which one would be good for taking on a car ride or even taking to school? Please help Im pretty confused. Theyre both in the same price range also.
By Lampdog Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:54 pm
Anything can be taken anywhere.

Ask yourself and research, can the studio operate ONLY by itself?
It's your money, you need to research that..
By SimonInAustralia Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:27 am
DeLivRance wrote:Cant the studio also opperate on its own? There advertising for it was mainy the fact the its small enough to take anywhere. Maybe I just assumed

The MPC Studio is a controller for MPC Software running on an attached computer.

Without a connected computer, there is nothing for it to control, it has to be attached to a computer to work.
By Metatron72 Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:09 pm
Factor in you'll need an audio interface to pair up with the computer/Studio combo to match the low latency/good pad response of the 500. Also are going to use computer based instruments and effects plugins as part of your flow.

Both solutions have their strengths, but it's more about what workflow suits you best. Some like to focus on one really streamlined work style, that's more the 500. Others don't mind a little more gear/cables and complexity, that's the Studio solution.

Some end up using both kind of setups if they afford to buy and set up both styles.
By Ill-Green Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:20 pm
This is me at the plazoleta on the 500 and headphones. See how chilly chillz I look without lugging a laptop around. Its like carrying around an iPad without the apps running up your bills.

By mattman121775 Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:05 am
Lampdog wrote:Anything can be taken anywhere.

Ask yourself and research, can the studio operate ONLY by itself?
It's your money, you need to research that..

Yep, and you don't have to upgrade your computer.
I'm running an old 2007ish amd compaq pc that is offline, and with hardware samplers I won't need to upgrade pretty much for ever if I don't want to.

With that said, if you have an interface, and a decent newer computer already the MPC Studio looks pretty cool too.
By Dom Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:11 am
I haven't played with either the MPC studio or MPC 500.... I have an MPC 2500.

- BUT -

If I were starting out, I imagine that an MPC hooked up to a computer would be easier to master as it is easier to navigate.
By inflict3 Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:16 pm
mpc500 was my first mpc back in 08' I'm on my 3rd computer since then, lol, yet my mpc500 still works great, and a have taken it all over the place with me, parks, beaches, you name it, all you need is the mpc500 and some headphones, if you got a smart phone you can sample right outta the headphone jack into ur mpc500 on the go, its like an endless crate of records on the road..
By motosega Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:22 pm
putting aside portability,stability, etc the choice is features versus simplicity, you can't have both.

since what you really want is an mpc2500 you should also consider resale value. this is definatly in favor of the mpc500. the prices on the mpc studio and renasannce have bombed recently but the mpc500 is fairly stable. the mpc500 with work the same in ten years as it does today. but you might have trouble running the mpc studio software on windows 2024 or mac IOS 30.

i have an mpc500, and it is rock solid. i bought it thinking it would keep me going until i could by a better mpc , but in the end i really like it, so i've been adding other synths and samplers to my setup instead.

if you have no moral problems with pirate software then the computer based route is definatly cheaper, but if you actualy buy software, then you really aren't saving much money vs buying second hand synths. especialy when you consider resale value.