Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By RodmanSan Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:47 am
Never lost one note, lost my note duration or had a note reset.....how does that sound... :P

I don't know if anyone can confirm this bug...but this didn't happen yet to me.
By hjolkie Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:02 pm
@Skywalker, RodmanSan:
“You will notice that with OS 2.0 the sync is off the whole time, while with OS 1.02 it just takes a slight moment to catch up and will stay tight. Personally, I am going back to OS 1.02.” –-> viewtopic.php?p=1176177#p1176177
What a screaming farce.

@Skywalker:
> Out of curiosity which machine in opinion is the best then?
http://en.feeltune.com/artists/197.html
By RodmanSan Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:01 pm
Have never noticed any problem with syncing or getting off sync maybe due to the fact that i use a Sequentix Cirklon as my Master.
By damien907 Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:29 am
i would personally go with jjosxl and a 2500 or 2xl and a 1000 (both essentially the same os)

but the 5k is probably pretty sweet, although i demoed it in guitar center briefly a few times and this is a bug i had run into (im not sure what OS it was running)

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=159170

i come from a daw setting too, and i was really fascinated that the jjos had grid edit, so i copped one and i love it, took a little while to transition, but i can move my notes around well enough with it now. keep in mind that i only make sample based music, no keyboard notes or anything like that that im sliding around in there.

you might like the 5k ppq better than the 2500 ppq because of that.
By 2toxic Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:58 pm
OK. Thanks ALL!

I just have to make certain decisions for myself.

My Main DAY-TO-DAY usage and workflow:

1) Use MPC to sample+chop.
2) Use MPC to layer sounds and make kits.
3) Use MPC to sequence and MIDI edit samples, drums, external hardware modules and VSTs in DAW (via MIDI I/Os)
4) All while synced via (MTC or Beat clock) with pro tools for tracking and other purposes. (via MIDI I/Os)

THOUGHTS:

5000:
It seems the 5000 is a quality control issue. Meaning buying one has a good chance that I will get one with bugs + some that impede on my workflow. I'd have to deal with it cos there are no more developments on this machine. However, DAW style MIDI edit, ADAT out and tons of I/O nice.

Ren:
Definitely buggy ... but Akai will be updating and it is an easier tranistion from a DAW environment. However No ADAT and only 4 analog outs is stingy

2500 + JJOS:
No real workflow problematic type bugs, and someone from DAW environment assured me I wont be left wanting with MIDI editing on it. No ADAT ... but good amount of analog outs.

UGH! :?
I guess looking at my day-to-day usage bullets 1 - 4 above? Does anyone envision or currently see any of these processes being a "bog down" on any of these machines? and do any of the bugs on your machine come in the way of 1 - 4 above?
By Clint Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Just remember that bugs are a software issue, some 5000 owners are relatively happy with OS2 while others aren't. The hardware seems to be just fine. The Ren will live or die based on OS updates, only time will tell but do you have time to find out? JJOS is regularly updated, but when updates are too regular you're shooting at a moving target and there is always the threat of simply getting bogged down in features you don't use or need. Get a machine which already has the OS and features you need and call it a day...for now.

If you want the best compromise between all your potential choices, the MPC4000 is it.

And it has the ADAT option...
By dtaa pla muk Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:04 am
CLINT wrote:The Ren will live or die based on OS updates

truth. in the spirit of improving music tech, i hope they employ a dedicated and interested developer team and pay them to maintain the project.

Get a machine which already has the OS and features you need and call it a day...for now.

/mpc-forums.
buy proven gear and learn it. if you don't, you WILL spend time beta testing, like it or not. i enjoy it and have no problem it, as long as i have a place in the dialog.

most importantly in current times, support supported software.
advocate for yourself.
By MPCWeapon1 Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:58 am
clint246clint wrote:Just remember that bugs are a software issue, some 5000 owners are relatively happy with OS2 while others aren't. The hardware seems to be just fine. The Ren will live or die based on OS updates, only time will tell but do you have time to find out? JJOS is regularly updated, but when updates are too regular you're shooting at a moving target and there is always the threat of simply getting bogged down in features you don't use or need. Get a machine which already has the OS and features you need and call it a day...for now.

If you want the best compromise between all your potential choices, the MPC4000 is it.

And it has the ADAT option...

In addition to the ADAT it has a Wordclock option to eliminate jitter and pops with the digital transfer. The 5000 doesn't for some reason. From the 5000 setup that I've seen, it needed a clock badly. Plenty of pops.
By keesimo Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:40 pm
I love my 5000 and i have Maschine as well. I don't own the Ren so i can't compare workflow, but want i can tell you is that my 5000 does not do half to any buggy stuff that other users complain about. I use everything in my 5000 and I can tell you the work flow is amazing and it hasn't let me down once.
By Clint Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:37 pm
I've never even seen or touched an MPC5000, but I'd like to spend a few days with one. Along with the MPC1000, It's the only MPC I've never had the pleasure to try. I'll probably try the MPC Ren/Studio too...some day.

I take onboard the feedback from existing owners, but in the end you have to try these things for yourself to form an opinion.
By pledge Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:52 pm
clint246clint wrote:I've never even seen or touched an MPC5000, but I'd like to spend a few days with one. Along with the MPC1000, It's the only MPC I've never had the pleasure to try. I'll probably try the MPC Ren/Studio too...some day.

I take onboard the feedback from existing owners, but in the end you have to try these things for yourself to form an opinion.

I say go with the Renaissance...I currently own one and also owned the 5000 but for midi instability I took it back...the Ren is a controller but its so responsive and when making drum beats it feels like any other mpc standalone hardware gear..it doesn't feel like a latency filled computer cheap controller...I was highly impressed...it needs updates and software improvements and hopefully those will come unlike any further updates with a 5000...if ur coming from software computer based midi sequencing I say get the Ren...no need to go backwards now...
By flame mccain Wed May 07, 2014 6:00 am
me personally I've never played with a mpc ren but i do own a 5000 and its a beast machine to me.At the same time i think i shoulda gone with the mpc 2500 being that they still make os updates and fixed the bugs in it.as far as the software gear its good but thats not what I'm into.The only software i use is reason7.got a motif xs6 to and all of it is being control by my mpc5000 :) tracking out in protools 8 le.But anyway i will have to say go with the 2500
By MainoVB Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:54 pm
I love using the both. The Renaissance its much easier to build kits and sample ect..but you can't beat the solid reliability of the stand alone units. MY 2000 classic and 5000 are much more reliable.
By crisxyz Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:39 pm
Hi all,

I'm really thinking to change my MPC Renaissance for an used MPC 5000. The last time I started to use the Ren as a drum machine with the master clock giving the time for others analog synths like Korg Monologue and a set of Korg Volca (Beats, Bass and Sample). When I push "Step Seq" button during a live set, all the slaves machines lose the midi time clock... That thing is frustrating.
I'm using an stand alone iMac ( OSX el Capitan V10.11.5 - 27-inc, Mid 2010, 2,8 Ghz I5, 16GB 1333 DDR3) connect directly in the iMac's USB HUB (4 port onboard).

I learnt a lot of production workflow with the Ren, primarily from the ren screen than using the MPC software in the laptop, so for that I'm really thinking to move to an stand alone MPC waiting for a more reliable experience during live performance, because I think that I could manage all the areas only watching the LCD.

If you are familiarized with VST and DAWs, MPC Ren is a good option. If you like a drum machine with different layers of sounds ann stand alone MPC is better.

Somebody have idea of the thing that I could miss if I do this step back? From MPC Renaissance to a MPC 5000?

Cris