Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By 2toxic Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:00 pm
Metatron72 wrote:
moyphee wrote:Why not grab a 2500 and install the latest JJ OS and Jumbo LCD?

http://www.mpcstuff.com/

I think that's a good suggestion. Even at overpriced GC I recently saw a maxed 2500 for $800. While I have seen 5000's go as low as $1000, I still think a 2500 might be a better option, JJOS obviously the main draw. Lose the synth and extra q-links, but gain an OS that's constantly updated and bug fixed. Plus if you have a computer you likely already have synths that match the quality level of the Fusion synth engine in the 5000.

Great question moyphee and Metatron72.

I am looking into this but one main thing pushing me to the 5000 ... ADAT OUT :nod: Being able to track 8 channels to my DAW in one go is a Big plus.

Is piano roll edit on the JJOSXL precise? and by this I mean can I get to DAW resolution/precision in note sliding? This is important for me as I am a far less than average keyboard player but I compensate for it by MIDI editing natural keyboard movements. Plus can anyone compare sample and chop workflow on both?

Hey guys, thanks so much for your inputs by the way. It will most defintiely influence my decision as I can't buy your insights at GC :mrgreen:

(PS: Just so I am clear, all here say stay the **** away from the Ren then?)

By dtaa pla muk Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:31 pm
(PS: Just so I am clear, all here say stay the **** away from the Ren then?)

give it at least 6 months so that Akai can show that they are interested in continuously updating it with new features and bug fixes.

regarding jjos2xl's precision, it is 192 ppq in double-time resolution, which is detailed enough for me.

By Metatron72 Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:39 am
I agree with Nym about the sequencer resolution and tightness being more than acceptable. The 5000 has 960 PPQ resolution but earlier today a guy posted a list of tests rating the MIDI drift and timing errors of various sequencers. The 5000 only rated a 3 out of 5, and there was a thread here this year where a guy had measured the same flaws. Oddly the 4000 also with 960PPQ resolution rated at 5. 2500 got a 4, I'd imagine the 1000 would be the same although it wasn't in this list.

http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New%20 ... itmus.html
By psr Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:16 am
I love my 5000. I know... not the popular statement. but like my man earlier in the thread i've been issue free with the 5000. I really like the synth (programming is easy), its actually a decent effects processor too. When i got mine it was because of all of the IO and the synth. I use it all. adat out, digital in for sampling from my rme interface direct from any source. I keep my turntable connected. no need to disconnect it. the IO is monstrous. But i think u have to decide what YOU want and go for it. You could get the ren and even though people say wait 6 months to a year I'd say if you want it get it. In 6 months what will change? an update? well good. you'll already have the ren and you can update it. truth is the ren and the 5000 are cousins. the IO is very similar, just Ren has no synth, and tethers to the computer.
By Tha_Skywalker Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:17 am
psr wrote:I love my 5000. I know... not the popular statement. .

Right on! Its amazing, a lot of people who own the 5000 say they love it, but theirs so many ppl say that its not that great and that it has a lot of bugs. Im starting to believe some of those people are not true owners of the machine.

I mean are the bugs that bad that it destroys your entire work flow? Its no super computer but what the hell are these people trying to do with their 5000 that they come in contact with so many bugs? Maybe it was just created buggy, but I still have heard some amazing stuff made with the 5000.

Now my next question, is wouldn't it be stupid owning both the 5000 and the Ren?
In all honesty I don't see much of a difference.

Prove me wrong.
By hjolkie Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:00 pm
@psr, Skywalker:
> truth is the ren and the 5000 are cousins
> wouldn't it be stupid owning both the 5000 and the Ren? In all honesty I don't see much of a difference.
Unintentionally funny. The Nukai developers are scared to death because of your comparison. You actually did them a bad turn. Just one more example why fanboys are often doing more harm than good for companies.
By Clint Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:41 pm
Hopefully this thread will stay on topic.

MPC 5000 vs MPC Renaissance

Not MPC2500, not MPC1000, not XLCD, not JJOS...
By RodmanSan Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:45 pm
Tha_Skywalker wrote:
psr wrote:I love my 5000. I know... not the popular statement. .

...snip...

Right on! Its amazing, a lot of people who own the 5000 say they love it, but theirs so many ppl say that its not that great and that it has a lot of bugs. Im starting to believe some of those people are not true owners of the machine.

I just wanted to state almost the same in this topic.
It is funny to see some people their negative reaction towards the 5000 while i doubt that they even touched or owned one for some time.
Just because some people ranted about how bad the 5000 is, then this should be taken as the thruth. :hmmm:

Anyways...own one now for more then 3 months...and i am still very happy with my 5000. This is my 4th MPC now after starting out with a MPC2000, and i can state that this is one of those MPC's that is filled to the brim with options and possibilities...and up until now didn't notice any bugs in my regular working flow.
By hjolkie Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:09 pm
@clint246clint:
> Hopefully this thread will stay on topic.
Ah c'mon, shut up. You´re getting on my nerves.

@Skywalker, RodmanSan:
> theirs so many ppl say that its not that great and that it has a lot of bugs. Im starting to believe some of those people are
> not true owners of the machine. (...) It is funny to see some people their negative reaction towards the 5000 while i doubt
> that they even touched or owned one for some time.
Incredibly stupid argument. Are you saying that one needs to be crippled for life in order to sympathize with wheelchair users? Laughable. The 5k is an imposition, period. Even mega fanboy JAH has sold his exemplar. That should make you wonder.
By RodmanSan Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:43 pm
hjolkie wrote:Incredibly stupid argument. Are you saying that one needs to be crippled for life in order to sympathize with wheelchair users? Laughable. The 5k is an imposition, period. Even mega fanboy JAH has sold his exemplar. That should make you wonder.

You know what is laughable and a stupid argument...that you need to get crippled people pulled by their hair into this topic just to get your bullshit right... :lol:

I do not need to compare apples with oranges to determine what is right.
You...who never even had any 5000 to begin with or the 5000 users giving their own honest opinion in this topic.

Sometimes i think you are not even alowed to "like" the 5000 on this forum with all those fanboys always diving inside these topics to burn down this MPC....and always the same kind of trolls.

Besides of this i do not care what others or even Jah does....my own opinion counts. :fku:
By Tha_Skywalker Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:45 pm
RodmanSan wrote:Just because some people ranted about how bad the 5000 is, then this should be taken as the truth.

Exactly my point, couldn't have said it better myself.

hjolkie wrote:Laughable. The 5k is an imposition, period.

With no evidence your statement is invalid. I mean if you can give me details to why its so bad, then Im all ears but the majority of people who talk bad about the 5k can't even say why.

hjolkie wrote:@clint246clint:
> Hopefully this thread will stay on topic.
Ah c'mon, shut up. You´re getting on my nerves.

Come on son, show some respect! I want this thread to stay on point 2!!
So, cut that disrespectful Sh!t, we can argue and politic but if your going to be disrespectful don't even bother posting your opinion.
By 2toxic Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:57 pm
Thanks guys :)

Like I said, the ADAT is a huge attraction for me. Plus none of you here seem to be bogged down with your workflow, piano roll grid edit is precise and easy, and you have also put the whole bugs thing to perspective. I am leaning towards the 5000.

I saw Guru in one of the MPC University videos use "note repeat" to program a hihat, but while doing this, he was changing the quantize timing of the note repeat in real time using (I think) the F keys! :nod: Does the 5000 also have this advanced note repeat function in real time?

And while we are on real time, is there time-stretch and pitch-shift in real time?

Lastly, Doesnt the 5000 just look sexier and more professional than the Ren to you? I mean the Ren looks like I could get it at Toys R'us :mrgreen:
By hjolkie Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:48 pm
@Skywalker:
> With no evidence your statement is invalid.
Bwahahaha! Are you pulling my leg? You´re beyond help. All the proof you need is this:

”I can attest to certain notes being lost! My notes keep getting reset to a duration of 0 -- no length = no sound. I can change the duration back to a proper length in a Step Edit, but whenever I save the "Entire Memory" or "All Sequences & Songs" or "Save Sequence" the duration of the note is reset to 0. The note is on Pad A8 (note 43). It works fine to play and record...it's just that when saved, those notes are, for some reason, zero'd out as described. I have other issues that haven't been addressed in this thread, but I'll get to the end before making any more comments. My MPC is just outta the box, pre-installed with OS2, 192Mb, DVD... This is a real pain in the ass to have to edit a song every time before you can audition it properly...
(A while later...)
Not sure why, but having the duration of the note set to 3840 (a whole note) seems to have been causing the problem. I lessened the notes' duration to 3800 and now, somehow, they're saving with durations intact. Huh.
(A while later...)
This problem persisted for me. I reset the machine, reformatted the drive, re-installed OS2. The only way I stopped getting the error was to save to a CF card instead of the HD.
(A little later...)
I take that back... I'm now having that same error on file saved on a CF card, too. The song was working fine after many many saves/reloads... then I connected my PC and copied the song. Now I'm getting that error on that song... Tech support at Akai is a lot of circular reiteration.”
----hayoo

Hilarious. Face it, the 5k is a load of crap. The Ren´s software is equally abortive so far. To cut a long story short: Both machines shouldn´t be commercially available for the time being.

@2toxic:
> Doesnt the 5000 just look sexier and more professional than the Ren to you?
Oh boy, yet another person in need...
“Object sexuality or objectum sexuality is a pronounced emotional and often romantic desire towards developing significant relationships with particular inanimate objects. Those individuals with this expressed preference may feel strong feelings of attraction, love, and commitment to certain items or structures of their fixation. (...) Contrary to sexual fetishism, the object to an OS person is viewed as their partner and not as a means to an end to enhance a human sexual relationship.”
---Wiki
By Tha_Skywalker Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:23 pm
Having problems with "losing notes"? I will definitely need research into that but I don't think I ever heard of that happening. Its possible. I mean with everything they try to squeeze to into the 5000 I wouldn't be surprised if it had some issues but from experience I never seen that machine have a single issue, works flawless. I think most of these bus are found from trying to perform intricate task.

Out of curiosity which machine in opinion is the best then?