Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By mr_debauch Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:10 am
mpc has the more sophisticates sequencer... you can sequence other gear (including the sp-404... which would be ideal)

the mpc has a more intricate sampler and the ability to trim/truncate samples in a simpler more visual way... it's easier to manage samples too... you can really get down and chop a piece into 30 pieces and with ease you can edit those pieces so they are ready to trigger.

the sp-404 has more sample time... and the potential for way way more sample time.

the 404 has way better fx... this machine is about the fx.

the 404 does not have velocity pads if I am not mistaken... the mpc does.. and they are bigger. generally speaking the mpc has the better pad, but the ones on the sp 404 work fine for the way that machine functions.

the 404 has a built in mic... yeah I know... that sounds stupid.. you aint about to mic a band with the thing.... but remember, the fx make the sp a great sound sculpting machine which makes the built in mic useful

404 ---> runs on batteries if you want

the run down... the 1000 is a better sampler sequencer, making full songs is easier... the 404 is way better for fx and sound design... you can still make entire beats though.

I suggest you get both.
By Metatron72 Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:17 am
Both. My favorite answer usually. :lol:

Debauch, will the 404 respond to velocity externally sequenced or triggered? I only ever toyed with those in shops.
By mr_debauch Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:55 am
Metatron72 wrote:Both. My favorite answer usually. :lol:

Debauch, will the 404 respond to velocity externally sequenced or triggered? I only ever toyed with those in shops.

I don't know.. I've never used a 404 :lol:

it might... it might not..

I want one though... I got a 303 a while back and it has me wanting a 404 as well...
By Metatron72 Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:04 am
I figure it would. I'll check the manual. But all the love those get here and other forums and the famous guys who rocked them like JD and Madlib, always make me wanna get one. They just look fun. Even just as a sit on the couch type thing. Only reason I really don't sell my 1000.
By mr_debauch Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:25 am
oh, I dont got a 1000 either :lol:

I know the 404 will be fun because the 303 is fun... it's amazing.

it works for live on the fly fx playing... some live sample triggering.. you can play the pads live on the 303 etc... it's good enough for that.

Also, those are great for those times when you aren't making beats but you are working on making new loops and samples to use in future projects...... the fx totally work well for that. super gritty too.

Okay, none of the onboard fx are really a new thing (or any of the features really), but the conglomeration of all those things is what makes the machine totally worth it.
By Metatron72 Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:49 am
mr_debauch wrote: those times when you aren't making beats but you are working on making new loops and samples to use in future projects......

That's become my whole music life... :lol:
By mr_debauch Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:18 am
Metatron72 wrote:
mr_debauch wrote: those times when you aren't making beats but you are working on making new loops and samples to use in future projects......

That's become my whole music life... :lol:

yeah I threw that in there as a hardware suggestion... :lol:
By Metatron72 Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:02 am
:lol:

I could I suppose plug in one of the 7 hardware pieces already in the building. At least it's stuff like Omnisphere that keeps me ITB mostly. :lol:
By anonymousproducer Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:24 pm
mr_debauch wrote:mpc has the more sophisticates sequencer... you can sequence other gear (including the sp-404... which would be ideal)

the mpc has a more intricate sampler and the ability to trim/truncate samples in a simpler more visual way... it's easier to manage samples too... you can really get down and chop a piece into 30 pieces and with ease you can edit those pieces so they are ready to trigger.

the sp-404 has more sample time... and the potential for way way more sample time.

the 404 has way better fx... this machine is about the fx.

the 404 does not have velocity pads if I am not mistaken... the mpc does.. and they are bigger. generally speaking the mpc has the better pad, but the ones on the sp 404 work fine for the way that machine functions.

the 404 has a built in mic... yeah I know... that sounds stupid.. you aint about to mic a band with the thing.... but remember, the fx make the sp a great sound sculpting machine which makes the built in mic useful

404 ---> runs on batteries if you want

the run down... the 1000 is a better sampler sequencer, making full songs is easier... the 404 is way better for fx and sound design... you can still make entire beats though.

I suggest you get both.

i have been getting hella help from everyone on here and much love. i have narrowed it down to 2 choices,either a 1K or 2KXL. everyone says the 1K but what would be the difference?
By anonymousproducer Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:27 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
Metatron72 wrote:Both. My favorite answer usually. :lol:

I don't know.. I've never used a 404 :lol:

it might... it might not..

I want one though... I got a 303 a while back and it has me wanting a 404 as well...

hows the 303???
By Coz Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:56 pm
anonymousproducer wrote:i have narrowed it down to 2 choices,either a 1K or 2KXL. everyone says the 1K but what would be the difference?

Check this thread out for more info.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=156017
By mr_debauch Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:12 pm
303 is awesome... the 404 is probably more awesome. The 303 is older, uses older hard to find memory cards, but it sounds great....

you have to decide what you want between the 1000 and 404. We dont know what suits you.... I personally would get the 404, but I just dont really care about the 1000... and I already have other mpcs.
By dtaa pla muk Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:42 pm
i used to have a 404. i loved it so, so much, but mostly i loved the idea of it.

the fx were great, but nothing that you can't find for free via VST.
the sequencing...is not for intricate musicians. at all. it's for your gloriously clumsy types. it's for your 4 bar loopers who record a stereo output possibly to cassette tape.

the 1k, despite its age and limited horsepower, is holding its own against DAW based midi sequencers because it is actively developed and supported.