The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By SouljaWorldMusic Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:28 pm
This is just a random thought: How come Akai...knowing their reputation as far as having faulty or thin pads on controllers (mpd/mpk etc...) doesn't just collab. w/ MPCSTUFF b4 they release a product????? Akai has a well enough world-wide fanbase whereas ppl are gonna buy their stuff(sometimes regardless) so why not ask for help? In one sense it kinda makes Akai look bad that a 3rd party Co. came in & had to do "their" job, & it makes MPC Stuff look good....& makes us consumers feel 50/50...thankful for MPC Stuff's products....but angry @ Akai for not having implementing this already...I mean ppl have been complaining for some yrs now. Some ppl may go as far as to say that Akai lost their swag after the departure of Roger Linn, or they've been missing a step since being accuired by Numark(shrugs shoulders). We still love Akai, BUT Thank God for "MPCStuff.com" & "Bruce Forat!!!" :D
By mr_debauch Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:07 pm
SouljaWorldMusic wrote:This is just a random thought: How come Akai...knowing their reputation as far as having faulty or thin pads on controllers (mpd/mpk etc...) doesn't just collab. w/ MPCSTUFF

wait wait.... nice idea and all... but rewind a sec.... why design it like that in the first place... if they knew early enough to collab with mpc stuff... they knew early enough to fix the design
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 pm
Yeah what Crossings said, but you could usually put put me down for +1 on his takes on stuff. :nod:

It's actually not the pads are too thin or faulty. Every MPD/MPK has real MPC pads (2k Classic/XL/2500/4k/5k ones). They mount the sensor array too low is the issue.

Literally just making the plastic risers higher would have solved the whole thing. (I've had 3 MPD's...)

Counting the 1000+all the MPD/MPKS, they did it 9 separate times over a five year period. :Sigh:
By soundtech Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:38 pm
Metatron72 wrote:It's actually not the pads are too thin or faulty. Every MPD/MPK has real MPC pads (2k Classic/XL/2500/4k/5k ones). They mount the sensor array too low is the issue.

Literally just making the plastic risers higher would have solved the whole thing.

exactly. the pads are fine. the sensor is too low, i have the fat pads on my 2500 and dont like them. pad corx as well. i liked the originals better

the pads are the biggest flaw of the 2500 imo
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:47 pm
It's subjective but I have no issues with the 2500 pads (JJOXL has deeper settings though), although I might rate the XL a but better, but the 2500 ones are still fine to me.

I only have Fat Pads on a 1000 and an MPD32, those were near unusable with the Fat ones.
By crossings Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:15 pm
soundtech wrote:
Metatron72 wrote:It's actually not the pads are too thin or faulty. Every MPD/MPK has real MPC pads (2k Classic/XL/2500/4k/5k ones). They mount the sensor array too low is the issue.

Literally just making the plastic risers higher would have solved the whole thing.

exactly. the pads are fine. the sensor is too low, i have the fat pads on my 2500 and dont like them. pad corx as well. i liked the originals better

the pads are the biggest flaw of the 2500 imo

ironically, when you upgrade from an mpc1000 to the 2500, you get blown away by how much better the pads feel... but as far as MPC models with 16 full-size pads, the 2500's pads are probably the least desirable.
By SouljaWorldMusic Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:24 pm
I use to own a 2000XL w/grey pads(my 1st MP ever) & the pads were the best!!! I tried out the 2500 in guitar center in 2008 & the pads were too hard to me compared to my XL...I also tried out da 1000 da same day too & they were just ok. Glad I never upgraded to a 2500 from a XL. The best Akai pads that I've EVER felt out da box was the Akai XR20!!!!
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:43 pm
The XR-20 general design is what the Ren/Studio have and those ones are on the MAX49 and the newer LPD's.

The 4k pads are kind of like the 2500 ones, acceptable but not great. And yeah every time I plug in my XL, I just smile how with how perfect the response and curve are.
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:16 pm
Some cats are on some All FAT er'ything steez :lol:

But yeah I'd be happy happy with those as is, I always felt the same way playing with XR-20's at stores.
By Menco Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:07 am
soundtech wrote:the pads are the biggest flaw of the 2500 imo

Then you have never touched an mpc1000...

crossings wrote:the most concise & honest answer would be:

because AKAI doesn't give a sh!t.

:nod:

THIS!

Akai knows that the aftermarket will 'cover up' their flaws, so the mpc's and mpd's are still interesting for potential customers.
So why waste more energy on supplying better pads if it doesn't really sell more units?

Akai's priority is not to sell a nice and fair product anymore to make musicians as happy as possible.

They like: wtf, as long as that shit sells. **** it, if we just sell a half finished mpc1000, the customers will buy it anyway. JJ will take care of the rest. It's ridiculous, but unfortunately we are still buying that shit.