Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By minimal1210 Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:47 am
Heya guys,

As per topic, I am considering one of these two devices and hoping to get the guidance of some people who actually know what they are talking about (aka you).

Usage

Producing House / Techno / Electronica with a sample-based workflow. Primarily sampling from vinyl or mp3/You Tube

Why am I considering the MPC2000XL?

I really love the idea of working 'out of the box' and ditching the DAW for creative reasons
    Feels like the 2000XL delivers a punchy sound (totally subjective and affected by a lot of factors, I understand)
    I like the nostalgic look

What are my reservations?

I wonder how much you can shape sounds on the MPC? I want to reduce the sheer amount of plugins and effects, but is it feasible to do the basic EQ and filtering on the MPC? Seems like this is pretty integral to getting drums to sit right for me normally. Interested to hear how this normally works! (adding effects and sculpting drums)

Until now, I have worked with Ableton and I'm pretty familiar with how Push integrates with it. Am I best served to stick with this option, or will the 2KXL offer me enough functionality that I can program and sculpt patterns away from the DAW?
By MPC-Tutor Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:24 am
The MPC2000XL is a very basic sampler, you have limited sound sculpting available, there's no synthesis, just a simple AD envelope, there is no EQ unless you have the effects board and even then it's use is limited. There is just the one filter (low pass) and it cannot really be applied properly in real time to a sequence, it more for applying to individual sounds at a pad level.

Not sure if that satisfies your criteria for working 'out of the box'. If you relish working in a very limited config then it's certainly an option, but I wouldn't buy an XL specifically for its sound, it's really nothing special (it's not bad, but it's not an MPC3000.

Not sure how important the nostalgic look is when making music, perhaps it will inspire you creatively?

What specifically is it about an MPC2000XL (or any hardware MPC For that matter) that you think will address your creativity concerns?
By minimal1210 Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:31 pm
Thanks so much for the reply!

Simply, the dream for me is putting together a tactile, hardware-based setup that allows me to work in a more physical (old-school if you like) manner. Alongside that, sound quality is important for me.

I just love the idea of physically tweaking things and manipulating a limited set of hardware. I find working inside a DAW pushes me into much more mechanical, less expressive way of working and the infinite amount of possibilities tends to be distracting rather than productive.

The 2000XL looked like it delivered the sound quality, has the ability to act as a sequencer for other kit and has the trademark swing feel in a physical unit.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:06 pm
Well with any older MPC you'll definitely be losing a lot of the distractions. The XL was a fine machine in its day, it certainly made you think outside the box due to its limitations, but I don't miss working in it at all. I'd be tempted to push you towards the more modern MPC2500 running at minimum the free JJOS. It's still quite limited compared to a software set up but you get 4 times more memory, USB transfer, built in effects and 8 output board, the screen doesn't eventually die, and the OS has many more useful features (e.g. 4 samples per pad). You also have the option of going for JJOSXL for even more features if you need them (e.g. non-destructive chopping). The 2500 sounds great, but doesn't sound the same as an XL, but as I said, I don't think the XL has a particularly 'desirable' sound (or swing - don't get me started on that myth).

If you want to go proper old school, it's the 3000 you should be looking at.
By JVC Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:19 pm
2000XL VS Push 2, are they even comparable product?
I love my 2000XL, but I've lost count how many times I opened it for repair...
I don't recommend it, unless you are willing to deal with it.