Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By akidnamedA Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:10 pm
So after a couple months of searching and information gathering I've narrowed down my choices too:
- MPC Studio Black
- MPC 2500 (w/jjos)
- MPC Studio (for price)

So I have a couple of questions:
1. Is the MPC Studio Black able to replicate the original sound of the 2500, 2000XL, etc.?
2. Is there a difference between the Studio and the Studio Black besides aesthetics?
3. Is the 2500 able to integrate itself with Akai MPC software and DAWs (like Abelton Live)?
4. Does the 2500 work standalone (whereas I don't have to keep looking at my computer constantly)?
5. Does the Studio and Studio Black rely too much on a computer (whereas I HAVE to stare at my computer constantly)?
6. Which will bring out my best capabilities as a producer (making heavily sampled music)?
7. Which do you prefer? (Look, Feel, Workflow, Portability, etc.)

Also, any additional information that could lead me to one of my choices or to possibly a new one, feel free to include it.

i'll leave it to the experts :worthy:
By MPC-Tutor Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:54 pm
1. No, the 'sound' you get is down to your audio interface and whatever effects, filters and other production you apply to your sounds.
2. More tactile dials
3. 'Integrate', to a point, as in you can sync them together via a MIDI cable, you can trigger MIDI events from the MPC and vice verse, and you can record the audio output of your MPC into your DAW using an audio cable. There is no direct software integration.
4. Yes, it is nothing but standalone, no computer is involved at all.
5. Not necessarily, you can do most tasks looking at the hardware screen. But the Touch provides the better 'standalone; style experience.
6. Can't answer that, other than to point out that great producers have been making great music on basic samplers since way back when, so it comes down to skill, practice and talent, not the tech. There is no magic machine that will make you a better producer.
7. Can of worms.
By pspsounds Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:38 am
If you use can wait a couple of months I would suggest checking out the MPC Live standalone which has not been officially announced yet. If the specs are correct it's standalone, Lithium Battery powered and controls Akai MPC software. Again there is no official announcement but leaks on the net show that it's coming.
By quietizkept Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:41 pm
I installed the MPC software & chose the Studio Black ,once even though I have a silver one. For some reason, installing the software for the Black also installs MIDI & audio drivers, no idea why.
By quietizkept Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:51 pm
The above I did just to see if I could there was any difference, and there is. Again, choosing the Black installs MIDI & audio drivers, & I can't imagine what those are for, as midi in works on my silver with no extra drivers, and obviously there's no audio interface on either the Black or Silver Studio. Installing those drivers didn't change the way my Silver works that I can tell. This is from the very same installer I used on my Silver when the update first came out, 1.9.6 if memory serves. :hmmm:
By quietizkept Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:53 pm
But yeah this seems to be an under-the-hood difference & I can't imagine it making any difference to the workflow. But I would like to know why/what's up.
By Living Bate Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:12 pm
im not too computer techy.....but could it be down to changes in the software since the original Studio came out?...

allowing Studio Black users to use some of the features adopted since the Touch?