Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By jondoe Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:03 am
Pros/Cons
Workflow
Is It worth it if im already on a ren to cop a 3k? I love the sound quality but on the fence about it
By Fanu Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:55 am
3K is one of the MPCs I haven't owned or used. I've had 4K, 2500, 2000XL, and now have Touch and MPC60.
I've always said, if the 3K could loop a sound, I'd have it and it'd be perfect for me.

Obviously Ren's sample editing and chopping is a bit faster.
By Living Bate Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:50 am
if you started on a Ren I think you will find a 3k to be pretty infuriating
By Wal Martian Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:23 pm
I've used the 2K, 2Kxl, 3K and 60i. The 3K clock seems very solid to me, I find the 2K drifts off tempo after a minute or two. I really like the quantize settings on the 3K as well, you can set it to all the standard note divisions 1/8 1/16 1/32 etc. but it also has OFF and 1/384 which is great for doing the drunken swing J Dilla/D'angelo/Neo soul rhythms because it still constrains to the limitations of the grid. I understand the Ren has a mode to emulate this swing. Workflow, sound quality/character, and 0 latency are why I stay with old hardware.
By richie Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:13 pm
@Fanu you have a 60, so working with the 3000 is pretty much the same as they have the same OS - obviously the only discernible difference being the difference in sample engine and sample time though.
By godlike Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:11 pm
Don't waste your money on the MPC 3000 unless you are just collecting. The novelty of using the 3000 will wear off quickly and you will be back on your MPC Renaissance.
By phoking Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:49 pm
godlike wrote:Don't waste your money on the MPC 3000 unless you are just collecting. The novelty of using the 3000 will wear off quickly and you will be back on your MPC Renaissance.

I own both (3000 & Renaissance). Started on the 3k / 60II. There are pros and cons to both.
Warning this is my biased, but honest opinion.

Ren -- Pros

Fast and powerful editing capabilities. It's got everything you need in theory such as effect plugins, even vintage hardware emulation. File management is easy including loading and saving. Bonus audio interface if you don't already have one.You're only limited by your 'puter.

Ren -- Cons
Ren is great if you use it as a suedo standalone by dedicating a computer rig and setting latency to the lowest possible (64 samples). Using the Ren along with a DAW will drive you mad due to induced latency via plugins and etc. You can freeze tracks to keep latency down to a minimum in your DAW; but you're dealing with freezing and unfreezing all the time. What if your *gasp* your 'puter freezes? Then you're facked either way aren't you? Workflow, homie... workflow.

Understand that the REN is basically a midi controller & audio interface combined. MPC Ren= Midi Production CONTROLLER. It's not a standalone unit, so in some ways not a very fair comparison to be honest. MPC-X is more comparable to a 3k since they are both standalone units.

3000 --Pros

ZERO latency, rare to no- crashing while you're working, and classic sound (subjective). Built like a tank.
I use the arm rest and it feels like i'm not gonna break the damn thing as opposed to the REN. 3k can definitely take a beat-ing.

3k -- Cons

3000 is for the real mo'fuggaz who don't wanna fack around with software non-sense. They are usually people who like to sample off real vinyl. Chopping by numbers forces a user to have to use their ears (go figure), instead of a visual waveform. To some users, not having a visual editor is a deal breaker. Cost of maintenance can set you back since they are vintage hardware units. 20+ year old units.

Too lazy to type anymore. Hope this helps... :lol: