Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By mattman121775 Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:01 pm
The Stand alone mpc's are running pretty high on Ebay ATM.
A half beaten up 1000, or 2kXL will run well over $400 reguarly.
Even a xl with no upgrades will run close to $400 if it's in anything close to have decent shape.
Missing the power button, note slider cap, and 2 unresponsive pads? No problem you can still get $300 for it!

On the other hand a like new Mpc touch will run the same $400. I know it's not the classic mpc we grew up with, but wow! I've been looking at old 2k's because I just sold my 500, and used to own a 2k years ago (reminiscing).

I'm just having a hard time justifying spending my money on an old 2k, or 1k when a mint MPC Touch will run me the same amount. Heck a new B-stock will only cost $485!

What does sampling into the Touch compare to? Is it a similar sound to the 1k/25k/5k?
By distortedtekno Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:37 pm
The software MPCs will sound more in line with the last 3 hardware models you mentioned. But if you're looking for a more colored sound, the 2000 is always good for the money. Buy yourself a Magneto Optical drive with it and you'll never have to deal with the issues of Zip drives and disks. You can get a decent 2000 for around $300 and an MO drive for $30. So keep that in mind if you'd rather be working with hardware.
By TheUnfuckwithable Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:41 pm
mattman121775 wrote:
I'm just having a hard time justifying spending my money on an old 2k, or 1k when a mint MPC Touch will run me the same amount.

For me it would be the other way around. Spending my hard earned cash on a controller? Nah...but wait...spending it on a standalone sampler? Hell yeah!

You are comparing apples with oranges. The Touch is just a cheaply made controller, a 2000 is a true standalone sampler. And a standalone sampler is hard to beat IMHO.
By MPC-Tutor Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:57 pm
Well remember the Touch needs a decent computer to run it, so it's not just about the cost of the controller. Unless you have a particular reason to go for a legacy machine, the Touch is very good value especially at $485 (not sure if B stock is going to get 2.0 for free), and those prices are ending in a couple of weeks (allegedly). A new unit will come with a manufacturer guarantee, an older machine you're on your own if there's any problems.

Honestly, it's impossible to recommend one over the other, it really comes down to what floats your boat. Really old MPCs are a pain when it comes to connectivity, compatibility, software dazzles and all that jazz, but the workflow is less cluttered and many find the whole experience more creative. Others prefer working more tightly in computer environments with other software/plugins etc. MPC Software is still a bit clunky, and who knows what 2.0 is going to be like, but most MPCs have their share of bugs and glitches.
By mattman121775 Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:45 pm
The frustrating thing is the gap in prices between the lower end models (500/1k/2k), and the 4, and 5k are closing.
You can pick up decent 4, and 5k's for 650-750 on Ebay, but in some cases people are getting as much for 1, and 2k's, and sometimes I''l see 500's sell for over $400!
What is the sudden interest with the lower end models, and subsequent drop in interest in 4, and 5k's???
Ebay is a weird place anymore, lol.
By mattman121775 Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:56 pm
A couple of puzzling examples for yall.
5k for $639
4k that sold for $550, and looked nice with a good seller.
1k that is loaded, and customized for $875!
1k customized for $777!
1k blue plain $550?
Now these certainly are not the averages, but I didn't have to do much digging either as these types of resuts are getting fairly common.
What gives? Dumb parents buying without knowing for Christmas? lol.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:04 pm
Well, I wouldn't go anywhere near a 5k, IMO they are junk, the OS is unfinished and sluggish and far too many workflow oddities. MPC pricing goes in waves, ATM the older ones seem to be rising in price, but in 6 months they'll probably drop again. It's very easy for a couple of daft ebay auctions to send prices sky high for a few months; people search 'completed' listings, see a couple of high prices, they decide to put an even higher B.I.N. and the cycle continues.

Customised MPCs are always overpriced, buyer beware with some of those as often all they do is swap out the LEDs, bung in a coloured LCD & pads and re-spray areas of the casing that already have no lettering (therefore avoiding the need for screen printing). I can currently see a black 'customised' MPC1000 on ebay.com going for $1600, ridiculous.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:16 pm
I see the blue 1000 for 550, that has the pad upgrade so you would expect to pay at least $100 extra for those ones. I see a blue one for $315 that ends soon. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akai-Profession ... 2214142609

JJOSXL and JJOS3 will also often add up to $100 to the price
By richie Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:23 pm
Any of the MPC product line that requires a computer to operate will never have long term value, as they're tied to the aspect of software support to stay functional. Stand alone units will always have some retained value but at the same time fall victim to what people on forums like gearslutz have to say.

It's no coincidence that as soon as a few people with high post counts start romanticized essays on gear, the prices on eBay go up the next day. It's kind of difficult to say what the value of a piece of gear 'should' be as you have guys paying $350 for an XL with 8 outs, they change the LEDS to blue, take out the 8out card and think that $1000 is a fair price to ask for that.
By abc Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 pm
richie wrote:It's kind of difficult to say what the value of a piece of gear 'should' be as you have guys paying $350 for an XL with 8 outs, they change the LEDS to blue, take out the 8out card and think that $1000 is a fair price to ask for that.

Damn Rich, you sound like you got someone specific in mind. :twisted: :popcorn:
By Living Bate Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:55 am
richie wrote:Any of the MPC product line that requires a computer to operate will never have long term value, as they're tied to the aspect of software support to stay functional

I really don't get why people say this.......surely if you have a computer that can run the software its no different to any MPC tied to the aspect of running the same OS to stay functional...

if 2.0 drops and it runs like a dream on the Touch / Studio / Renaissance then whats to stop it from still doing that in 20 years?
By Wormhelmet Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 am
Living Bate wrote:
richie wrote:Any of the MPC product line that requires a computer to operate will never have long term value, as they're tied to the aspect of software support to stay functional

I really don't get why people say this.......surely if you have a computer that can run the software its no different to any MPC tied to the aspect of running the same OS to stay functional...

if 2.0 drops and it runs like a dream on the Touch / Studio / Renaissance then whats to stop it from still doing that in 20 years?

Well first it requires a dedicated audio computer that you will not go online with and never patch once you have it in optimal running state. That is one piece of hardware and software to rely on lasting 20 years. Next you have the controllers which hopefully are built solid to last 20 years, but I really don't see that happening if you actually use it a lot. You'll have wear and tear. Entirely dependent on popularity of a certain controller being made in mass quantity to have spare parts available 20 years later too.

The whole pc or mac software tied to controller is precarious to start with and would require dedication to never patch. All it takes is a few patches on the OS and everything could break again.

Standalone machines come as is. The old ones required prom changes to update the OS. The newer ones have code specific to the hardware and are less prone to glitches as once a bug is addressed, there is no further patching that might cause instability.

I can still turn on my st224, mv8800, rm1x, mc303, etc and get the same predictable behavior and features as the day they were released.
By poker Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:59 pm
I started out with a lot of controllers (APC40, Maschine, Push, Kontrol) and I woke up one day to realize they were just joysticks to computer software. I was disgusted to see how I paid $600 for the Ableton Push mk1 and now see them collecting dust in used cases at Guitar Center in the low $200s. I see several poorly priced used NI Maschine controller that are really worth nothing since they don't include serial numbers to software. I feel bad for anyone that buys them.

I bought my first MPC 1k used for $500 and sold it for $500 6 years later. All the MPCs and Roland SPs I bought at good prices and I know I won't lose a dime when I want to sell them. I got my 2000xl with 8 outs for $200 from Guitar Center. Looked liked crap until I washed the case and pads. Now I can sell it for triple since I added the CF card reader.

One of there days, you'll end up buying a laptop without USB 2.0 compatibility. USB 3.0 ports don't always work with my old devices. F*ck....Apple even got rid of the 3.5 plug from the iPhone. Standalone gear need not worry about the ever changing computer.
By fatassj Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:26 pm
poker wrote:I started out with a lot of controllers (APC40, Maschine, Push, Kontrol) and I woke up one day to realize they were just joysticks to computer software. I was disgusted to see how I paid $600 for the Ableton Push mk1 and now see them collecting dust in used cases at Guitar Center in the low $200s. I see several poorly priced used NI Maschine controller that are really worth nothing since they don't include serial numbers to software. I feel bad for anyone that buys them.

I bought my first MPC 1k used for $500 and sold it for $500 6 years later. All the MPCs and Roland SPs I bought at good prices and I know I won't lose a dime when I want to sell them. I got my 2000xl with 8 outs for $200 from Guitar Center. Looked liked **** until I washed the case and pads. Now I can sell it for triple since I added the CF card reader.

One of there days, you'll end up buying a laptop without USB 2.0 compatibility. USB 3.0 ports don't always work with my old devices. F*ck....Apple even got rid of the 3.5 plug from the iPhone. Standalone gear need not worry about the ever changing computer.

How you got a 2000XL from Gcenter for $200 is beyond me O_O. I've been looking for my first MPC for a while and the prices are pretty jacked. Blue MPC 1000 for $459 at Gcenter.
By Ill-Green Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:31 am
poker wrote:I started out with a lot of controllers (APC40, Maschine, Push, Kontrol) and I woke up one day to realize they were just joysticks to computer software. I was disgusted to see how I paid $600 for the Ableton Push mk1 and now see them collecting dust in used cases at Guitar Center in the low $200s. I see several poorly priced used NI Maschine controller that are really worth nothing since they don't include serial numbers to software. I feel bad for anyone that buys them.

I bought my first MPC 1k used for $500 and sold it for $500 6 years later. All the MPCs and Roland SPs I bought at good prices and I know I won't lose a dime when I want to sell them. I got my 2000xl with 8 outs for $200 from Guitar Center. Looked liked crap until I washed the case and pads. Now I can sell it for triple since I added the CF card reader.

This.

Same reasons why I never got into controllers and software, they're only good as their support. Standalones from 10 years ago are still usable today, but a controller from 10 years is practically a paperweight on the desk unless you using a computer from 10 years ago.