Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Twilmore Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:56 pm
Hey,
I'm in the process of upgrading my studio and buying and choosing new gear. I primarily make R&B, and Hip-hopbeats. I've being a 10year ableton user(software only) and really enjoyed it. Lately I want to get a little bit unchained from the computer(no mouse) so I've been looking at the MPCX or AbletonPush2.

My Dilema is idk what one to get. My fear of the MPCX is that I feel like it might be moving backwards. With only 8audio tracks in standalone, no built in synth like the 5000 and so on. Other than that I love every other aspect of the MPCX. Being able to make beats with no computer and limited effects and sounds to get you more creatively thinking.

My fear for ableton Push2 is that it won't completely control the software and I'll still be using the mouse a lot to create beats. Also I have a fear that since ableton live is at version 9.7.2; so that makes me think a new version is right around the corner and possible new hardware to go with. I'm not very fond of paying $$ then a month or 2 later something new comes out.

If anyone has used either Newer MPCs or Ableton Push 2 I would like to hear your 00.02.

Thanks for your replies in advanced.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:23 pm
Twilmore wrote: Also I have a fear that since ableton live is at version 9.7.2; so that makes me think a new version is right around the corner and possible new hardware to go with. I'm not very fond of paying $$ then a month or 2 later something new comes out.

People bought the Touch thinking it was the new 'flagship' and a few months later they announced the MPC Live and MPC X. There's always a new shiny coming soon, always something better on the horizon from one manufacturer or another.

'9.7.2' is no indication of anything IMO. There could be 10.0.0 coming in two years or 2 weeks, with or without new hardware, but previous hardware might be fully compatible, Fanu might have more insight on that as he's an Ableton beta tester.

Regardless, the X and Live are still 'beta' products IMO, they need some more updates as they're still missing a number of promised features; as is often the case with MPCs, it seems the products have been released before they were 100% ready for market. TBH, if you are coming from an Ableton background, Push 2 seems like a no-brainer - I don't have push 2 so cannot comment on whether it still needs a mouse, but I'm sure the Ableton forums would give some insight on that.

I'm not saying don't consider the MPCs, but do be aware that it will be a few weeks or months before they get the obligatory 'fixes' and 'coming soon' features.
By Twilmore Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:30 pm
True. I know there always something around the corner. Just hopeful thinking someone might have some inside info.

I saw the MPCs had some issues mainly the MPClive. But a lot of times that's what you run into with new tech. Really strange that they would release their products in a beta stage form.

But thanks for your .02. It gives me more to think about.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:33 pm
Twilmore wrote:Really strange that they would release their products in a beta stage form.

They're claiming they are not beta of course, only the computer application is officially beta - to be fair, they seem fairly stable, it's the missing features that give the game away. But that's been the case for most MPCs released in the past 10 years, normally takes a few months before they sort all the foibles out.