Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By DJ Proficient Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:24 pm
Hey whats up, im new to this great board...
Ive been making beats on FL Studio for a while, and ive been sampling from Adobe Audition for even longer now, and I want an MPC, cause im tired of sitting, and clicking all day to make a beat...
Sooooo....
WHat MPC would you suggest someone like me who has never had a drum machine get, keep in mind budget is the key.
So far from what I HAVE SEEN AND READ, the MPC 1000 looks best for me, being that, the cheaper the better, and it also has nice features.
So enlighten me on the complex ways of the MPC.

By Clint Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:09 pm
well, ive had the 2000xl and now have the 4000.

the basic programming method is the same on all the mpc's, but you get more advanced features and more memory as you move up the heirachy.

i wouldnt recommend a 4000 for starters unless your dollars are stacked.
i also wouldnt recommend an mpc which relies upon floppies or external drives to load samples. get one with a built-in drive like a zip, compact-flash or cd-rom. simplifies things.

try an get one with the maximum number of outputs and internal effects and perhaps usb.

dont buy a brand new one, check ebay first up for bargains. a good buy WILL hold its value, so you can easily trade up when the time comes.

search the forum, theres a link to a mpc comparison chart somewhere.

i sold my 2000xl for £500 on ebay and bought a 4000 with 8 outs for £500 on ebay (collected in person and paid cash). i guess everyone must have thought it was a scam! i was the opening bidder and only bidder :-)

By DJ Proficient Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:07 pm
Yeah, I'll check it out, but ebay scares me... Im always thinking someones gonna scam me, bt damn... a 4000 for $500? Isnt that like the most expensive MPC?
Im thinking a 1000 would be a nice option but the 2500 sure does look nice.

By CommanderRobot Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:59 pm
get the 1000! on ebay! now! :D
i had an 2000xl and loved it. now i switched to 1000 and with os 2.1 i'm loving it as much as my old one. i bought my 1000 on ebay, no problems, all fine.

By Alphawolf Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:29 pm
my first mpc was a 4000, i had worked with an sp 505 before that if you have expierence using samplers it's ok to get an 4000 but if you are not I would start with something more simple...like a mpc 1000

By The Machinist Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:37 pm
cause im tired of sitting, and clicking all day to make a beat...

Yep. I'm in pretty much in the same situation, except I'm coming from Cubase SX and Ableton Live. I've done the MPD and controller thing with computers, but the feeling of sitting in front of a computer clicking -- sooner or later -- throws my workflow off. Actually, the workflow of softsynths is what throws me off (direct recording, and contained sequencers seems more appealing, to me). I've been debating for a few months which MPC to get myself, between the 2000xl or the 4000. I haven't really been lured toward the 2500 for whatever reason, though it's probably just as valid, being that it's somewhere inbetween the two (in my opinion). I don't own a MPC yet, so I may be wrong, but from what I see, they aren't that different from model to model....each one will just take a willingness to learn.

I'll still use computers for tracking, editing and mixing, but for creating beats, I'm switching to a MPC, my ASR10 and the other hardware I've collected. I don't want to touch a computer until the bones of the beat are done. I have no problem going into Logic, clicking or using a control surface once the beat is somewhat done though.

But, yo, if you're starting from the bottom with MPCs, aren't you going to have to learn it regardless? So, why not just go with the one that has the features, and "sound" you're looking for?

By SYDNEYSTREETZ Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:43 am
YO..IVE BEEN THO THE FL PHRASE.... :oops:

but i got a 1000 for this cat off ebay for 400 and loaded it up wit the hdkit and hd and more memory and ive havent looked back since...and whats nice those beats i made wit FL i saved them to .wavs and loaded them up in the machine and was satsified wit the outcome a million times happier..

mpc is the shyt point blank period...MPC IS HIPHOP!!!but ill get up on the 2000xl...i plan on move on up to the xl myself next month...just to see the difference...but yea keep all ya programs and get u a 2000xl or a 1000 just to start and get the feel for the easy workflow and you never look back...

i was just talkin about the FL shyt the other day...some cats can get off on FL but its nothing like hardware..point and clickin dont make history!!!

IF U ON THE MOVE LIKE I AM ILL COP THE 1000 !!! :!:

By jwhaatt07 Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:26 pm
DJ Proficient wrote:Yeah, I'll check it out, but ebay scares me... Im always thinking someones gonna scam me, bt damn... a 4000 for $500? Isnt that like the most expensive MPC?
Im thinking a 1000 would be a nice option but the 2500 sure does look nice.

He did not get it for 500 $ He is in london,the money is different

By Clint Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:15 pm
"i sold my 2000xl for £500 on ebay and bought a 4000 with 8 outs for £500 on ebay "

the money was the same, so it was basically a straight swap. 4000 for a fully expanded 2000XL. you gotta love it...... :lol: