Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Dj:A Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:52 pm
I have been a 2000xl user for several years

I have often wanted a 1000, and i found a brand new one for $600

with the new os im quite tempted to buy the 1000 and try it out

its a 'blue' model, i dont know if i will sell my 2000xl or not, but i have been getting serious directory issues lately and are getting sick of it...

what do you guys think?

By MPZ60 Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:49 pm
I got sick of my 2000xl for the same reason and switched to a 1000. I still love my 2000xl however and will nerver sell her..
By floatation Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:50 am
Dj:A wrote:I have been a 2000xl user for several years

its a 'blue' model, i dont know if i will sell my 2000xl or not, but i have been getting serious directory issues lately and are getting sick of it...

what do you guys think?

If you havent spent time with the 1000, I would say dont bother..I have been using the 2000XL since they came out and last year I found a 1000 for $450..I said, "what a deal..I will sell my 2000XL and I am set"..
BIG MISTAKE..
The 1000 felt like a toy, the pads were too small and overall it felt cheap..
Apparently this is a common feeling with those who use older MPC's that switch over to the 1000..I know many others that made this same mistake..I ended up selling the 1000 within one week (for a profit) and then had to buy another MPC 2000XL (that was broken of all things).

If the 1000 feels good to you, then by all means go with it, but keep the 2000XL until your sure..Also try to find a 1000 cheaper than $600..If your a cool cat, befriend someone who works at Guitar Center and buy it used at cost or 5% above the cost they took it in ..(Apparently Guitar Center usually buys 1000's around $375-$450 and they tend to mark it up to $500-$650..) If your salesman wont tell you the cost, find another that will..Then be sure to buy stuff from them only!

By the way, to avoid a "1000's are better thread etc" , the above experience really set me back time wise + cash wise. I had to delay putting out a record because of it..So basically if I stuck with the 2000XL things would have gone MUCH smoother .. So this is why I responded..

About the directory issues..What is happening? Are you using a zip drive by the way?
By Dj:A Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:32 pm
floatation wrote:
Dj:A wrote:I have been a 2000xl user for several years

what do you guys think?

If you havent spent time with the 1000, I would say dont bother..I have been using the 2000XL since they came out and last year I found a 1000 for $450..I said, "what a deal..I will sell my 2000XL and I am set"..
BIG MISTAKE..
The 1000 felt like a toy, the pads were too small and overall it felt cheap..
Apparently this is a common feeling with those who use older MPC's that switch over to the 1000..I know many others that made this same mistake..I ended up selling the 1000 within one week (for a profit) and then had to buy another MPC 2000XL (that was broken of all things).

If the 1000 feels good to you, then by all means go with it, but keep the 2000XL until your sure..Also try to find a 1000 cheaper than $600..If your a cool cat, befriend someone who works at Guitar Center and buy it used at cost or 5% above the cost they took it in ..(Apparently Guitar Center usually buys 1000's around $375-$450 and they tend to mark it up to $500-$650..) If your salesman wont tell you the cost, find another that will..Then be sure to buy stuff from them only!

By the way, to avoid a "1000's are better thread etc" , the above experience really set me back time wise + cash wise. I had to delay putting out a record because of it..So basically if I stuck with the 2000XL things would have gone MUCH smoother .. So this is why I responded..

About the directory issues..What is happening? Are you using a zip drive by the way?

GREAT advice, thank you.....i've never spent any time with one and I really wanted it just for the portability....so i got a mpd16 offf ebay for $50 just for fun : ) i use battery2 with ableton live as well, so im excited about it.

my directory problem can be found here

http://mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=56917

if you could tell me what you think....im starting to get crazy directory freezes; but I think its got a lot to do with this 1gb sd card im using. i've been playign with the 128mb daneelctro cf card i've also got, and havnt had any directory freezes
By floatation Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:07 am
Dj:A wrote:
floatation wrote:
GREAT advice, thank you.....i've never spent any time with one and I really wanted it just for the portability....so i got a mpd16 offf ebay for $50 just for fun : ) i use battery2 with ableton live as well, so im excited about it.

my directory problem can be found here

http://mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=56917

if you could tell me what you think....im starting to get crazy directory freezes; but I think its got a lot to do with this 1gb sd card im using. i've been playign with the 128mb daneelctro cf card i've also got, and havnt had any directory freezes

Im thinking its the Secure Digital card..
Try using Compact Flash as it seems to be ok so far since your using the 128 MB..
I just posted a longer reply to your problem in that other topic you posted..

Either way, dont get rid of the MPC 2000XL due to this problem..It sounds like if you use a Compact flash card you should be set..