Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By damien907 Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:30 am
whenever i use my mpc, and i am doing a lot of copying of programs, sequences notes ect, i seem to run into this problem.

i have been doing a workaround for years, and i havent been able to find my exact answer in the manual.

say i have a kick on pad a1, i open up grid edit, and i see all my kicks punched in perfectly, but i want to add a little extra thump to the kick drum. to achive this, i want to copy all those a1 notes to another pad, but on the same sequence/track and have both pads playing simultaneously.

so when i run into this dilemma, i have 2 main workarounds i have been doing:

1. i can re-record the kick drums with simult triggering pad A2 as well as A1 whenever i hit either of them. although this isnt that great because i rarely want to re-record my whole pattern just because i forgot to add a sub element during my first pass. furthermore, i found that if i set up simult after ti have already laid down the pattern, the mpc wont trigger the simult upon playback of the sequence. this is why i have to re-record it with siimult enabled. if i re-record it with siult enabled, then the mpc will recognize that simult is enabled, and it will record both notes a once by just hitting one pad. if i dont want to re-record my whole pattern, this brings me to my second option.

2. i open up grid edit, zoom in, and start overdubbing the second pad under the first one, one by one. i gues this is similar to step editing, but i do it in the grid edit screen. this can be very tedious as i have to re-adjust the volume of each kick to match that of the one above it, and i also have to move the samples around to keep them in the exact same spot as the note above it. either of these methods can add extra hours onto a beat, and im tired of doing it this way.

some of you might be wondering why i dont just use the pad layering, because it essentially does the same thing. but if i do it that way, i cant adjust the adsr and filters for each individual element of the drum sounds, this is why i like to double the notes up.

do any of you know if you can copy a recorded pattern of events to another pad within the same track? im using jjos 2xl on my mpc 1000. thanks!
By bliprock Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:34 am
Ah yes, I noticed it if you tried to do this in same track it is different to say another track.

So I do it two steps now and takes a second, and thought that this is the best way I found to do it easily and quickly.

If its midi then you have to change to drum but you are in drum already. I go to grid edit window and use manual copy. Not cut in this case. Now its a bit of a bugger for stuff over 32 bars but you can hold down the bar forward button I think and get everything.
So now you have a copy in the clipboard, now hit window and use pad move function there. This will move the original to the new pad and sample in the same track. Now just paste back in the original you copied into the clipboard. It takes longer to explain the steps than actually do it. That is the way i do it.