Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By quartz Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:09 pm
Hey All,

I recently purchased an MPK25 to control functionality of my MPC 1000 (2XL) over MIDI. I'm facing some limitations with both pieces of hardware, and am trying to see if I can get some things working.

I know that I can control the volume of tracks 1-16, and I have that working. What I want to know is if the tracks can be adjusted relatively, instead of absolutely. This means, my controller could tell the MPC "raise the volume by x" instead of "set the volume to x".

When asking this, I'm almost sure the answer is "you can't". What made me think it may be possible is this line from the mixer page:

Moreover, when this is ON, the level of a MIDI sequence and the value of a pan are also reflected.

Any info or advice you have, let me know!

(Here is the mixer page: http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/os2xl/mixer.htm)
By quartz Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:12 pm
A bit of further info on me trying to use the MPK 25:

The MPK 25 can send NRPN midi signals to allow relative control, but I don't think the MPC supports that. It also has a second increment/decrement mode, which is undocumented and as far as I understand it only works when hooked up over USB. It looks like it is waiting for return messages to know if it is adjusting, and as far as I can tell you can't send midi messages to the MPK unless you are using USB
By bliprock Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:50 am
you should not need nprns and the like for the mpc1000 even though it does hear them and can transmit them.
Am I right to think you just want to change the volume of the tracks
quartz wrote:I know that I can control the volume of tracks 1-16, and I have that working. What I want to know is if the tracks can be adjusted relatively, instead of absolutely. This means, my controller could tell the MPC "raise the volume by x" instead of "set the volume to x".
To be honest, it is very arbitrary and that and it needs to know where it is before it knows where it is meant to be, meaning that its just adding numbers no matter how you enter this data. Its the same as saying adding a percentage of volume really.
And in effect has absolutely no difference to the data actually sent, and this is the thing, it is midi data and has to be written in a particular way, and is read in a particular way. What you are trying to do is change how the data is worked out, and then turned into the right midi data to give you a volume change say by percent or a relative value. And since you have a MIDI controller, it will out out the correct data and as it is not a computer you can not reprogram the data entry to a calculator mode. Cos it is calculating that relative change but it still has to turn it into midi message, and if you change the midi message it wont work.

It is a bit esoteric but its not the controller, its just how it works and what you are trying to tweek is really the data entry method on the GUI side and is not midi at all.

Have you tried active track instead and this means you have to be on the track and use midi CC for volume instaed of the mode you do it in. I prefer that as it gives me better choice on what track is midi and drum, not just 1-16.
By quartz Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:42 am
I do just want to change the volume of the tracks.

Honestly I’m a bit confused by your middle paragraph. I think I understand basic MIDI pretty well. Do you mean that all MIDI messages for relatively changing a value require the previous state of the value? If that’s the case, the fact that the MPK 25 does not support any input makes it impossible. I was just hoping that there was a midi command to tell the MPC “raise track X’s volume by 1”.

I’m going to try active track to see what expression I can get out of the MPK. I was really interested in being able to control the volume of multiple tracks at the same time without using an external mixer. Gave a lot of flexibility along with track mutes.

Thanks much for the guidance :)
By quartz Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:35 pm
Bugfix wrote:No I don't think you can set relative change for internal MPC params. Old BCR 2000 with endless knobs and LED feedback is nice companion for jjos2xl. :smoker:

Do you know a good resource about connecting the two? What information can you map from the MPC to the LEDs? Can I set a default starting value for the encoders?

I was really interested in having the MPK keyboard to play my synths (with the arpeggiator) through the MPC, but I could see buying a BCR instead and getting a small midi keyboard.

Thanks much :)
By Bugfix Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:58 pm
Do you know a good resource about connecting the two?

You have to select operating mode which is best for what you do.
http://www.behringer.com/assets/BCF2000 ... 0_M_EN.pdf
What information can you map from the MPC to the LEDs?

Track mixer with vol, pan, filter, pitchbend, modulation :WTF: and program change. You can also map to other box at the same time.
Can I set a default starting value for the encoders?

yeah start and end also, toggle on/of for push keys, check manual, it's pretty clear.
I was really interested in having the MPK keyboard to play my synths (with the arpeggiator) through the MPC, but I could see buying a BCR instead and getting a small midi keyboard.

Just make sure it has DIN-5 out :wink:
By quartz Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:19 pm
Thanks for all the info Bugfix. I got the BCR in yesterday and its definitely more what I was looking for than the Akai. The build quality is kinda poor but for 32 led array-ed knobs and 20 buttons @ $150, I can't say I'm surprised or turned off by it.

I still wish the MPC had slightly more midi control, but hey that's what wishing is for right ;P