Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By manman Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:11 am
Hey all,

Did a search for this but couldn't find anything, so sorry if this has been asked before. I downloaded jjos2xl from jj's site and am trying to install it over the free os ver 3.16. Looking at the instructions here and on the site it looks like you should just be able to save the install file to the card (so in my case mpc1000_xl345.os2) and select it from the load screen. But when I try that the mpc doesn't show the file anywhere on the card. I can see all the other stuff on the card but not that file. I tried putting it at hte root level as well as in a subdirectory. Also tried using the 'update from AkaiOS' method of powering on with window button. It said "A correct OS file was not found".

I've already played around with saving/loading stuff from CF card, and everything else has loaded fine, so I don't think it's a problem with the card/reader. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
By manman Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:16 am
I've tried that already too- downloading the file again, and also renaming it something else. Unless the version currently on JJ's site is corupt, then I'm not sure what else could have messed up the file. I also tried saving to/loading from multiple CF cards, no difference. I'm just doing [mode]->load, making sure the card is selected, and looking in the folders I saved it to, and I don't see it anywhere... :hmmm:

I doubt he would have a corrupt version on his site, but since I can't find any other point of failure- does anyone know of any other places you can download it?

EDIT:
tried some other OS versions, and caused me to notice that I can see .bin files, but nothing wiht .os2, .os3. Tried changing the extension to .bin, but when trying to load I get the message "File too big, can't execute!!". For os versions that were natively .bin (vs being renamed) they seem to load fine.

Anyone else ever seen this?
By manman Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:04 am
Meh, I knew the chances of bricking or doing anything a factory reset couldn't fix were slim to none for something like that. And there are plenty of other situations where an OS knows what to do with a renamed extension just based on file format, so it was worth a shot at least...

I was just about to update though- you had the right idea. I just decided to re-install 3.16 and that ended up working. Now I can see files with all the 'os' extensions.
By Angerbot Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:06 am
Hey man man

I have a question, did you end up being able to get xl working. I'm having the same problem with my 2K5 too. On the free jjos and want to use something withore midi capabilities.

Cheers
J