Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By JaccCetch Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:06 am
What up all you heads?! Quick question...so I'm tracking out a beat from my 1000 running JJOS2XL into Studio One 3. Most of my tracks on the 1000 are mono that I'm tracking. I'm going out of the stereo outs of the MPC into my Presonus Audiobox. I'm getting this odd "air" on the recorded tracks in Studio One. Is there an MPC mixer setting or something that I should be choosing to track out?? It's like the "air" on the recorded
Studio one tracks are stereo but the actual sound (kick, snare, hat, etc...) is recording mono! I hope y'all can understand what I'm trying to explain. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
By JaccCetch Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:38 pm
Hey Bug thanks for the reply homie. My master level I keep at -12. Let me run down my workflow again and see what you think... I sample in mono almost always (unless it's a synth or something I want a stereo fx on). I put everything on separate tracks (samples, kick, snare etc). I build the beat and when I get ready to track out (I use the main stereo outs on the MPC, haven't got into using separate outs yet) I solo each track and run it into my L & R Presonus Audiobox going into Studio One 3.3. In Studio One I create mono tracks to record too. It IS recording in mono but there is that strange stereo "air" that is being recorded as well...I forgot to add, I don't use any gain on the Audiobox and I control the input clipping with the master gain knob on the MPC. I'm guessing but I think my problem could lie somewhere in the gain staging, what do you think? P.S. I don't use any compression on the MPC. I do all of that in the DAW
Byanon_8948337878 Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:48 am
Have you tried tracking your mono parts in mono?
By dazastah Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:49 pm
It could possibly be this...
One side of the outs could be out of phase in the mpc. When you track out, and sum to mono, the left will cancel the right side and cause your main signal to be quiet, but the air or stereo width is still present in mono. It could be the cables you are using? Like particlesintowaves post, try to use just the left channel of mpc, going into channel one of the audio box, and set studio one to record a mono track instead of a stereo one.
By Lampdog Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:27 pm
Yep, exact same waves when summed may create phasing issues.

If your sample is truly mono and you wanna keep it mono then make sure it remains single channel mono the whole way through production.

If samples have any kind of stereo movement then keep it stereo the whole way through production.

If mono sample but you add effects or filters make sure you know if fx/filters are mono/stereo and act on it according to the above info.

This mono/stereo sample routing stuff trips up alot of people.
By JaccCetch Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:01 pm
Wow I haven't revisited this post I made in a while. But Dazastah and Lampdog makes total since...
I SHOULD keep it mono though the process i.e. sampling input is mono, output (tracking) should
be mono as well (using L cable into L only channel of my Audiobox).

If I end up wanting that tracked out sample stereo I can always do that with a widening plugin or
delay etc.. in Studio One NICE thanks fellas I'll def give this a try.
By Lampdog Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:24 pm
Also know your physical connections, cables and adapters. Sometime they are mono/stereo by accident/design and can affect audio outcome. Lots of people use the wrong connectors sometimes.