Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By LUGOD83 Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:45 am
Hello all. I am having an ongoing issue with bass samples on my mpc 1000.

My process. I'll take a bass one shot, make the play type mono and note on. Then I'll activate 16 levels and tune the sample down to something usable with my beat.

EVERYTHING SOUNDS 100% FINE, on my audio technica cans and on my pc playback through the same headphones.

WHEN THINGS GO BAD is when I monitor the beat through some cheaper headphones or my phones speaker. What happens is all my bass will be accompanied by the nastiest distortion popping and clicking .

Anyone else have this issue? I tried eqing but it only helps so much, and by the time I can mostly get the distortion out the bass doesn't sound how I originally like.

Any help would be much appreciated.
By ngyagi Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:36 am
What is the original sample source? Have a look at spectrum analyser. Too much sub bass for your other speakers maybe?
By allank Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:44 am
Sounds like what ^^^^ said..

If you are taking a source sample and then dropping the frequency.. there's possibly a lot going on below the audible range or in the very low range.. This can probably be handled by your AT's but not cheaper speakers..

You should probably drop the sample pitch in a pc first.. and maybe run it through a HPF (even if that's at a very low cutoff ) to clean up the extra energy
By LUGOD83 Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:53 pm
Thank you guys for the response. The source samples are from bought kits. just a simple bass one shot. You see, I always had issues creating baselines so after some research I came up on this technique of 16 levels and pitch shifting down until pad 16 sounds like something that could be usable in the beat, which i believe makes pads 1-15 even lower. so yeah i am working with some serious low end. however. it sounds natural on the beat.

i do think you guys are onto something as when i play it back on my iMacs internal speaker it sounds like there is no bass completely whatsoever, the bass must be like eons below the spectrum of what that little speaker can handle, on the flip side, i listened to the beat in my car and it bangs nicely. do you guys think this is user error or anyone else have this issue on their mpc 1k? Thanks
By allank Mon May 01, 2017 1:04 am
nope.. it's not an issue with the machine..
This is the art of audio engineering, getting things to sound good on all speakers..
I would suggest investing in a half decent set of monitor speakers.. but smaller ones 4 or 5") that way you will have an idea if what you are doing translates to multiple speakers.. You can use your AT's to monitor the lower frequencies..

If you are using one of the JJOS versions which offers you a high pass filter.. play around with that .. set it as high as you can go, without losing your bass frequency and you may get rid of some of that subsonic material that is making the speakers distort.