Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By alamin Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:14 am
Hello,

I don't know if my problem is only with OSJJ or always :

I connect the MPC1000 OUT to my MOTU828 mk2 this way :
MPC1000 DIGITAL OUT ----- (SPDIF) ----- >MOTU DIGITAL IN

The MOTU 828 clock is set to "Internal 44.1Khz"
When I play sound on MPC, it produces strange
"shhh" sounds (just on the right channel !)

If I put the MOTU clock to "SPDIF 44.1" (so the MOTU
clock is SLAVE and MPC SPDIF is MASTER), it works !!
But it's very unconfortable to have to
change the MOTU clock all the time :

* if the MPC is off, I have to configure MOTU clock to INT44.1
* if the MPC is on, I have to configure MOTU clock to SPDIF44.1

it's very unconfortable to have to change these settings all the time !

NOW IT'S SOLVED :
When I switch ON the MPC, I have to do :

[MODE] RECORD, set """DIGITAL"" then set """ANALOG""" then
set again """DIGITAL""" !!
Then the MPC DIGITAL clock is well synchronised to the sound card Internal
clock.

Have somebody experienced this problem ?
Is it OS JJ specific ?

Thank you,
Al
By maara Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:48 pm
i have similar problem with m-audio firewire 410 - i can use spdif to record TO my mpc but i can't use it to record FROM my mpc...
By forwerd Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:28 pm
I just came across this too with MPC 1000 JJOS1. I thought my cable was bad and ordered another. The only down side to SPDIF out is you can't control the master volume on the MPC itself. I was using the CueMix software that came with the interface. Also, Once the interface is set to 44.1 for the digital in, all of your analog inputs will be 44.1 as well. I have since purchased a second Motu MKII to daisy chain and get more analog ins.
By jimmie Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:08 am
cheers alamin.
I was trying to use my RME Fireface 800 as master clock whilst recording into it from my mpc through spdif.
I just couldn't get my mpc to clock from the fireface.
Turns out that you have to go into RECORD and select DIGITAL as the Input, then it syncs.
It means you can't sample anything ANALOGUE into your mpc whilst it's clocked as a slave - you have to briefly set it as master when you wish to sample through the analogue ins by changing Input to ANALOGUE in RECORD.

It means I can use my fireface to clock my preamp and mpc. Before, I couldn't use spdif into the fireface from the mpc without setting the fireface as slave. Just another option.
Last edited by jimmie on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By josephnicks Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:15 am
when i use the spdif cable into my mpc, sometimes it starts actin up and glitching.. so i gave up on trying to use this method to record samples..
By jimmie Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:30 am
josephnicks wrote:when i use the spdif cable into my mpc, sometimes it starts actin up and glitching.. so i gave up on trying to use this method to record samples..

Yeah, it's awkward that it uses the RECORD page for both clock sync AND record in Input methods. We could do with an option in OTHER to set clock sync and leave the RECORD page alone.
By audioworld Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:25 pm
Digital audio always carries its synchronisation within the signal, and you have to sync the RECEIVER to the SOURCE. If you keep the soundcard on "internal sync" it will never be able to properly decode the incoming digital sync signal, you always have to sync "on" the source. Some digital mixers have sample rate converters on all their inputs, which makes it look like you simply "connect and forget", but if you are not sure that your audio interface has SRCs on its inputs, make sure to sync to EXT.

Now, some digital audio equipment (e.g. DAT-Recorders, digital reverbs) are able to receive a clock signal on its spdif input, sync the entire internal clock to this, and send out a digital signal which is in Sync with what it receives on its digital input. In this case you switch this device to External sync, connect IN + OUT from/to the same audio card, and can leave the audio card set to INTERNAL Sync (as the external device is now synced to the audio card). However, the MPC1000 only syncs on the input signal (and only to 44,1kHz) for recording, but does NOT sync its digital output to the digital input. I do not think that JJOS has any control of the Crystal cs8427 chip which does the syncing thing.

Hope this clears up things somehow. Or does it?
By jimmie Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:16 am
audioworld wrote:Hope this clears up things somehow. Or does it?

This is what I do:

RME Fireface 800 (Master clock) spdif out -----> mpc spdif in
set input to DIGITAL on RECORD page of mpc
mpc spdif out --------> RME Fireface 800 spdif in
MPC is now slaved and 'sync locked' with my Fireface 800 as Master clock and digital audio signals can now pass to my Fireface 800.

This was the point of my post.... to show that you can sync lock your mpc with an external clock whilst sending digital signals out of the mpc.
This is on the mpc2500. It sounds like you're saying this isn't possible on the mpc1000.
By audioworld Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:31 pm
Jimmie, I wrote about my experience with many digital audio devices, but havent tried syncing my MPC1000 to SPDIF in the setup which you describe. As I designed SPDIF Interfaces with the Crystal chip which is build into the MPC1000 I can see that the pin of the Sync signal from the Crystal Chip is not used, so from the circuit diagram it seems to me that the internal MPC1000 Audio clock is NOT Synced to the SPDIF input. I will try to hook it up and try it myself over the next days.

But the point of the original poster was if JJOS creates problems with SPDIF input/output and I think this is not the case.
By oxide54 Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:30 pm
Old thread i know, but i was having the same problem with my MAudio delta 1010lt. Thing is the thing was dying anyway most of the analog I/Os didn't work.

So i bought an MBox cause i wanted pro tools . don't have any of the SPDIF problems any more, I can sync the MPC from the MBox or Sync the MBox from the MPC and record/sample either way.

and i'm using jjos.

btw - some SPDIF interfaces are wierd - I have an Akai s3000xl and that can receive SPDIF from the delta 1010lt, but under no circumstances will it transmit SPDIF to the delta 1010lt, its a documented issue something similar to mentioned above with a certain pin not connected inside the s3000xl, I tried soldering the pin suggested on the website I found but it didn't work so i un soldered and i don't really use the s3000xl much any more.
By still_awake Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:12 pm
audioworld wrote:Jimmie, I wrote about my experience with many digital audio devices, but havent tried syncing my MPC1000 to SPDIF in the setup which you describe. As I designed SPDIF Interfaces with the Crystal chip which is build into the MPC1000 I can see that the pin of the Sync signal from the Crystal Chip is not used, so from the circuit diagram it seems to me that the internal MPC1000 Audio clock is NOT Synced to the SPDIF input. I will try to hook it up and try it myself over the next days.

But the point of the original poster was if JJOS creates problems with SPDIF input/output and I think this is not the case.

Hey,

I know this is a very old post but I'm trying to do the same thing.
Did you finally try to tap on sync and clock externally ? I'm thinking of trying to add a WordClock input on my mpc1k. I was thinking of tapping on the sync pad and connecting the wordclock there. If you can post some info it would be great help.. What is the crystal or whatever. I'm going to see the service manual and repost with my findings.