Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By evil A Sulli Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:33 am
I am trying to get all info onto one thread. Astronaut started this request.

Edit: Old title Name"Trim Mode/Set Mode (Sample Trim, MODE+PAD6)"
I changed the title because someone said to have the new feature as an option in "Sample Trim" but Astronaut wanted it on "Audio Screen".
astronaut wrote:This would just kill the flow.

---

Lemme explain why I want that extract to sample feature.
I record into audio tracks, e.g. playing some riffs over some beat or metronome, for ... 16 bars. Then I find the best bar or few bars... now, if I go into trim and edit the few bars as precise as I can, I could get a sample that would loop in sync to the BPM (i.e. the beat I played the riffs over) but only in the beginning, if the sample will play in a loop for more than a few bars it will start to get out of sync, that's why a precise way to trim/extract a sample according to bar/steps length is needed.

I did find a way to get exact samples, but only bar length size (no steps):

1) Record the riffs into an audio track e.g. 8 bars
2) I like how the Take sounds starting at bar 4 and ending bar 6 = 2 bars
3) Go into trim mode, adjust the beginning of the Take from where I want it to start. This way the audio track will start playing the Take right where I want it to.
4) Now create another audio track, set input to MAIN OUT
5) Set the sequence length to 2 bars and to loop
6) Record into the new audio track. It will record exactly 2 bars and stop. You get a new sample that's exactly 2 bars long (at current BPM)

this is time consuming, but this is the only way I know how to do it.

p.s. it gets more complicated when I use odd time signatures.
p.s.s. sorry for starting a discussion on this in this topic.
if need be we could continue here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=145815

or I could reformulate my request as in the topic above:

an option in TRIM MODE to edit samples in bars/steps.

Sooty_G wrote:
astronaut wrote:or I could reformulate my request as in the topic above:

an option in TRIM MODE to edit samples in bars/steps.

actually, i think this is a solid request and i would cosign on this. not just for trimming a sample but also for setting loop length.

for example: you could have the F5 key labeled 'SNAP'. activate it and it would ensure that when you moved the start and end points of your loop, they would be snapped to the nearest value to keep the total length of the loop in time with the current sequence tempo.

you could set the SNAP value from anywhere to from 1/1 to 1/64, sort of like how you do with time correct. your loop would then always be in time with the sequence. great for creative uses like polyrhythms or creating a new percussive effect out of a segment of your sample.

Nym wrote:so based on current seq tempo, the end points would move?
very cool. don't know how possible it is but i would love that.
i've often wished that loop points were per pad, not per sample...like NDC but for looping. you could have 1 bank of the sample playing normal, and then others of weird glitching and stuttering...

Sooty_G wrote:
Nym wrote:so based on current seq tempo, the end points would move?
very cool. don't know how possible it is but i would love that..

well, the implementation i had in mind was more simple. it would only work in the trim screen just as kind of a guide to help you set your start and end points. but if you set your loop and then changed your seq tempo, the loop would be out of time again. it wouldn't be a realtime thing that was constantly updating all your loop points as you changed your tempo.

but if that WAS possible... that would be insane and i would definitely request it! but i don't think the MPC cpu would be able to keep up with that.

all i wanted was something to help in the TRIM screen with making loops more quickly in tempo. a sort of built in calculator that would say for example: "1/16th time at your current tempo is X amount of milliseconds", and then automatically snap your loop length to those values. makes it really quick to try out all sorts of different loop settings in the TRIM screen and know that it will always be in time.

i've often wished that loop points were per pad, not per sample...like NDC but for looping. you could have 1 bank of the sample playing normal, and then others of weird glitching and stuttering..

yeah, that would be cool. closest we can get to that now is with the qlinks adjusting SAMPLE START & END.
Last edited by evil A Sulli on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
By evil A Sulli Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:08 am
If you take 4 (beats) and divide it by 90 (bpm), you get a 0.04444444444 minute. Take the 0.04444444 minute and multiply it by 60seconds and you will get 2.66666666 seconds for 4 beats. Someone please check my math.

Here is a site to check my math. http://web.forret.com/tools/bpm_tempo.a ... t=4&base=4

When you do a 1 bar track (4/4 time sig) with loop off (and show the time) it will be 2.16 on the JJos. So JJ may have to adjust the time.

For it to work correctly you will need to have a setting for BPM and the correct BPS for the beat length you select-- you don't have to show the seconds.

When you turn the data wheel the start and end points will move together, so it holds the distance in seconds the whole sample range will move.

Yeah a setting for 4 beats, 2 beats, 3 beats, 1 beat, 1/2 beat, 1/4 beat 1/8 beat would be nice.

This may be hard for JJ to do because the sample trim don't trim in standard time--seconds.
By evil A Sulli Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:28 am
astronaut wrote:I reckon that the editing function in bars/steps in the TRIM mode would require a lot of programming, but the extract to sample (in audio track) probably not.

I changed the title so it goes with what you are requesting and I took the time to see how your request could work.

Now what I will try to do is get all ideas that will make everything work seamlessly.

I think you may be correct by JJ using the Audio track as another way of sample manipulation.

Since the Pads don't play the programs sound JJ could have a "Pad Mode" for "Audio Tracks" that will be mainly location points on pads. There could be three types.

Type One--"Standard" The way JJ has it set now.

Type Two--"16 bars" Location points for 16 bars based on pad banks A to D. Pad bank "A" will be for bars 1 to 4. Pad 13 will be the location points for bar 1 beat 1. Pad 14 will be the location points for bar 1 beat 2. Pad 14 will be the location points for bar 1 beat 3. Pad 16 will be the location points for bar 1 beat 4. The next row will be for bar 2 and so on.

Now, if you hold Pad 13 and press Pad 16 it will create a 1 bar loop that plays until you press stop. The pad with the earliest location point will be the start point and the pad with the latest location point will be the end.

When a region is selected the audio image will reverse its color.

Type Three--"One Region" The section that has the revered image will set start and end location points based on what pad you press. Pad 13 would be 4 beats. Pad 14 could be 3 beats, Pad 9 1/2(half) a beat all the way down to 1/64 of a beat location points. By moving the data wheel you can the location of the sample without changing the start and end points. (Sooty_G)

Pressing after key on Q1 could give you the option to change the start point and Q2 the end point.(Nym)

Now in the fade screen this could be re-worked for Fade or extract options. When you extract a sample it will create then name the sample with the original name and location name. (astronaut)

Other notes:

--If you press the numeric key it will hold the region and let you slide the audio track(start point) with the data wheel--this will be need mainly in Type 2.

--A separate sample BPM

--You must have a way to select the type of location setup you want to use.

--All location points will be based off of the beats per second formula above.

Hopefully this will make it easier for JJ to do--less thinking will give him more time to code.
By Sooty_G Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:37 pm
i can't speak on the audio track related stuff you've posted as i never use them, but i've come up with a simple interface for setting sample/loop length to tempo in the TRIM screen:

1. go to the TRIM screen.

2. put the cursor over the END value and hit the TAP TEMPO button (this will work whether or not you have LOOP turned on or off).

3. the END value will now change to say "1/16". turning the data wheel will change it anywhere from 1/1 to 1/64. as you do this you will see the selected area change in the waveform display below and you can hit the pads to audition the sample like normal and hear the changes.

4. when you have it set how you like it hit TAP TEMPO and the END value changes back to its normal numeric value and you have your new sample length/loop length set.

very simple and i really don't think it would be difficult for JJ to add this at all.
By evil A Sulli Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:31 pm
Sooty_G wrote:i can't speak on the audio track related stuff you've posted as i never use them, but i've come up with a simple interface for setting sample/loop length to tempo in the TRIM screen:

1. go to the TRIM screen.

2. put the cursor over the END value and hit the TAP TEMPO button (this will work whether or not you have LOOP turned on or off).

3. the END value will now change to say "1/16". turning the data wheel will change it anywhere from 1/1 to 1/64. as you do this you will see the selected area change in the waveform display below and you can hit the pads to audition the sample like normal and hear the changes.

4. when you have it set how you like it hit TAP TEMPO and the END value changes back to its normal numeric value and you have your new sample length/loop length set.

very simple and i really don't think it would be difficult for JJ to add this at all.

Yea, my previous post was to make all input work together on audio tracks but if JJ puts it in the Sample trim section that's cool also. The reason I say this is because astronaut wanted on the audio tracks. It's up to JJ.
By evil A Sulli Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:30 pm
wudsiba wrote:Subscribe. I would dig this the most.

astronaut's request is huge!!! It sparked so many ideas after.

Not to be a prick but I noticed on the audio track if you press main anywhere it will takes you to the fad section. I feel when you high-lite the bar number it should signal the "Window" button to come so you could go to the grid options.

Then you can press the "window" key on the sample section to open the fade and hopefully the extract options.

The reason why I say this is because I always look for the window to be lite to know I have another option in the high-lighted area.
By mp3 Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:34 pm
I record into audio tracks, e.g. playing some riffs over some beat or metronome, for ... 16 bars. Then I find the best bar or few bars... now, if I go into trim and edit the few bars as precise as I can, I could get a sample that would loop in sync to the BPM (i.e. the beat I played the riffs over) but only in the beginning, if the sample will play in a loop for more than a few bars it will start to get out of sync, that's why a precise way to trim/extract a sample according to bar/steps length is needed.

I'm confused. Can't the machine chop samples into equal pieces? So if you have a 16 bar sample, then couldn't you just go into chop mode and divide it into 4, 8, or 16 equal pieces? Then you could just divide or combine regions (and adjust start/end points if needed) as necessary before you execute the chop...

I don't know, I mean this one seems like an overthink to me...

edit: and instead of looping the resulting sample, you could just stick it into an audio track (as long as its one whole bar or longer).