Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By innovine Tue May 01, 2012 4:51 am
I'm trying to learn the divide and conquer technique for chopping, but I'm not sure I am doing it right. I seem to spend a LOT of time using the left and right arrows to go from Region to Start and back again. A lot of the time I cant see the start of the sample. When the cursor is on Start, I can use the pads to select start or end, but this doesn't work when in Region. They only seem to play the region. Like I said, I don't quite get it, but the navigation feels like it could be so much better. What am I doing wrong?
By Funkydrops Tue May 01, 2012 7:16 am
...supposing you're talking about NYM's technique as explained here:

Why don't you send a PM directly to him?!?
By innovine Tue May 01, 2012 8:35 am
Funkydrops wrote:Why don't you send a PM directly to him?!?

Cos he reads the forums, and any answers will most likely be of interest to more than just myself.
By gangreen Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm
You have multiple start and stop points assuming you’re using the chop function. 1st things first, loop the sample.

Use the loop on function to get the sample looping properly. Typically want to count 16 or 32 beats, depends on the sample.

Next turn on chop and start hitting the pads . You should hear a different piece on each pad.

Start trimming your ass off. Nothing comes easy , could be easier * I Put my 2 cents in for the JJ OS feature request * but you then need to adjust each start and stop value till your ears like what they hear on each sample ( There are 32 now ).

I find it easier to do all the start points first then come back to pad1 and do the end points for all of them.
By dtaa pla muk Tue May 01, 2012 7:59 pm
I'm trying to learn the divide and conquer technique for chopping, but I'm not sure I am doing it right. I seem to spend a LOT of time using the left and right arrows to go from Region to Start and back again. A lot of the time I cant see the start of the sample. When the cursor is on Start, I can use the pads to select start or end, but this doesn't work when in Region. They only seem to play the region. Like I said, I don't quite get it, but the navigation feels like it could be so much better. What am I doing wrong?

chopping is like typing to me, i don't even know what my fingers are doing anymore. the only thing i can tell from this description that's wrong is this: don't go to the Region selection spot, just continue hitting left/right to jump from one region to the other. you basically just continue to break your regions into 2 pieces until each region has its own note on it. for samples that follow a rigid tempo, adjusting the start points of your regions will automatically push the split into a more correct place.
By innovine Wed May 02, 2012 8:20 pm
I tried this on a rigid drumloop. I cant see how you change slices with left and right... If i have the cursor on start and hit divide it selects the piece on the right and puts the cursor in the start field. From here you can press left, and its possible to slice the whole loop by only going left, but if you press right, it moves the cursor to end. And then right agakn, and it moves to region, and then right again to select anew slice, and now it takes a couple of leftclicks to get to the start field again...
By innovine Wed May 02, 2012 8:41 pm
You do the video way too fast to understand whats going on, but its clear that you are not hitting the left and right arrows three times to change slice. Also, i cant read the text on the field on the right, but on mine its region and the part which is selected is 2 characters long.. On yours its much more than that. So maybe we dont have the same os or navigation available? I have the latest os2xl.
By dtaa pla muk Thu May 03, 2012 3:27 am
ohhhh i understand the issue now. moving back and forth to select different slices feels too cumbersome to you. in the video i think there's 1 or 2 less left/right cursor clicks.

What am I doing wrong?

haha you're not hitting the arrow buttons fast enough. you can still chop as fast/faster in the latest os2xl, you just gotta punish those buttons. in the video note the fury unleashed on the zoom in/out buttons.

i've been emptily threatening new videos for more than 2 years now
By innovine Thu May 03, 2012 1:18 pm
Having to press left and right three times (sometimes less) to select the next slice is driving me nuts, especially considering the fact that there are loads of pads available.

Is it worth sketching out some ideas for a more optimised chop mode?
By dtaa pla muk Thu May 03, 2012 1:57 pm
couldn't hurt. i'm used to it. as long as whatever potential changes don't screw me up i'm happy.
np padlock.
By innovine Fri May 04, 2012 9:11 am
consuming wrote:Triple left/right arrow click macros might do the trick..

It's not always 3, which is very frustrating :)
By ChrisDexta Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:44 am
Funkydrops wrote:...supposing you're talking about NYM's technique as explained here:

Why don't you send a PM directly to him?!?

Video says Private... Any re-ups?
By Samp Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:23 am
I suggest you to slice your sample in 2 pieces, and then divide them in the number of slices that you need, usind "DIVIDE". You will also need to select the start of each sliced sample, using arrows, OR, if you have JJOS3, using directly the pads (that feature is GOLD), starting at the bottom left.
Zoom in to have the sample start that you want, and then, keep on dividing until you have all the slices you need (CONQUER).
:-D