Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Superpowerface Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:59 pm
So I can't try this out at the moment, because I don't have all the necessary cables, etc. Got an MPC1000 with jjos1.

Basically I have a MIDI keyboard which connects to the computer with USB. It has MIDI In, Out and Thru.

I want to use the keyboard to sequence softsynths on the MPC and also as an interface to send the MIDI data from the MPC to the computer. So can I do this:

Code: Select all Computer
     ^
     | USB
     |
 Keyboard
IN     OUT
 ^      |
 | MIDI | MIDI
 |      V
OUT     IN
    MPC

Can you foresee any issues with this?

PS: Should I upgrade to os2xl already? Is it like the sweet sweet ambrosia of the gods?
By license Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:06 pm
Should be OK.

Just make sure that the MPC and keyboard aren't -both- "echoing" their inputs to their outputs, or you'll get MIDI feedback. There's an option for it in JJOS. I find that I prefer to have echo/thru turned on in the MPC, though, so you might just turn it off on the keyboard.

Also you should probably set "local off" on the keyboard, so you don't double trigger notes - otherwise they'll trigger once responding to the local key press, and once in response to the incoming MIDI note.

If this is confusing, just try to imagine where a note is going to go, originating from vairous points in the setup, based on your routing, and keep all the echoing/thrus in mind.
By Superpowerface Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:19 pm
Yeah, I foresaw all the problems coming from the keyboard. Mind you, it's just a MIDI keyboard, not a synth or anything. (It's a CME UF60, so fairly configurable. I just need to dig through the insane interface.) So are these two separate settings on the keyboard?

license wrote:Just make sure that the MPC and keyboard aren't -both- "echoing" their inputs to their outputs, or you'll get MIDI feedback. There's an option for it in JJOS. I find that I prefer to have echo/thru turned on in the MPC, though, so you might just turn it off on the keyboard.

I thought the keyboard by default shouldn't send things from its IN to its OUT (only from IN to THRU).

Also you should probably set "local off" on the keyboard, so you don't double trigger notes - otherwise they'll trigger once responding to the local key press, and once in response to the incoming MIDI note.

Ok, this is what I was worried about. I hope I can set local off. I only want keypresses to go to the MIDI OUT and not to USB, right?
By license Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:00 pm
Oh you shouldn't have to worry about local off if it's just a controller.

Superpowerface wrote:I thought the keyboard by default shouldn't send things from its IN to its OUT (only from IN to THRU).

I don't know about the options on that particular keyboard. It totally depends on the controller. Just need to dig into the manual.

Superpowerface wrote:I only want keypresses to go to the MIDI OUT and not to USB, right?

I don't think that even matters. If you send them to USB, you'd be able to record them in a DAW or something. But if you can specify it to just echo to USB and not to MIDI, it can record the MPC's MIDI. I think I did this with my Novation Remote Zero before.
By Metatron72 Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:04 pm
Superpowerface what DAW are you using to host your soft synths and record to?
Ableton for example makes this type of routing easier as each track has MIDI I/O pulldown menus that you can make visible at all times. In other DAWS it's more menu diving but you can do all you need to do in any DAW.
By Superpowerface Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:20 pm
Heh, I'm a linux user so I'm free to do as much crazy MIDI routing wizardry as I like. I basically wanted to use the MPC to sequence softsynths without having to buy an extra MIDI interface.

Then I'll just send the MPC audio to my laptop and record everything that way. I hate sequencing and arranging on the computer tbh. The MPC is just more tactile and hands on.
By tapedeck Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:24 pm
Superpowerface wrote:Heh, I'm a linux user so I'm free to do as much crazy MIDI routing wizardry as I like. I basically wanted to use the MPC to sequence softsynths without having to buy an extra MIDI interface.

Then I'll just send the MPC audio to my laptop and record everything that way. I hate sequencing and arranging on the computer tbh. The MPC is just more tactile and hands on.

that sounds like a great idea.
one question - you say sequencing softsynths then you say sending the mpc audio - which one are you actually doing?

i'm assuming softsynth - in this case it shouldn't be an issue to route the audio via jack back into ardour or audacity.

finally have you ever heard of seq24? it is software sequencer totally inspired by an mpc with a few improvements (patterns of different lengths, visuals, etc). i think you're idea is totally sufficient, but it is worth a look as it is pretty interesting no-bs software.
By Superpowerface Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:22 pm
Yeah, so the MPC is sequencing the soft synths but also has samples loaded on it, so the output needs to get sent to my soundcard.

I have used seq24 and it was great for MIDI sequencing but could be unstable at times. I'm currently working on an idea for a program that would combine the ideas behind seq24 and the Ableton session view that should make a very nice live performance tool and loop-based DAW. ;)

But mainly, I spend all day at work on the computer, so I don't want to come home and do it as well. Eventually, the softsynths would get replaced by some hardware synth modules.

Oh and I forgot to ask -- is OS2XL a must-have? It sounds like it has a bunch of useful new features for sequencing and also makes the MPC more handy as a standalone machine.
By Almost Lazy Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:10 am
No worries with your ideas, just make sure the MPC also records the midi for your soft synths (for use with modules later), so have the 5 pin midi out of keybd into MPC, the USB will allow the soft sequencer to record there..
One thing, always make sure the MPC track is correct for the Midi channel into that Softsynth.. otherwise any pot or fader changes will effect the wrong sound... that sux!

I run an MPC 2XL sequence with 4 hard synths off it, JJOS 2XL is the shit!! Purchase it Bro! spped ya way up!
By chunkystee Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:30 pm
what if my midi keyboard has only one usb port on the back and nothing else? how can I achieve the same workflow?
By allank Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:26 am
chunkystee wrote:what if my midi keyboard has only one usb port on the back and nothing else? how can I achieve the same workflow?

without purchasing a MIDI interface for your computer.. you can't.
By m:t:c Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 am
If your midi keyboard is standards compliant you could get a midi usb host like "Kenton MIDI USB Host" or "iConnectMIDI4+".
By Bugfix Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:43 am
m:t:c wrote:If your midi keyboard is standards compliant you could get a midi usb host like "Kenton MIDI USB Host" or "iConnectMIDI4+".

this ^ or route thru software if you have such...

better sell keyb and buy anything more oldschool with DIN-5 MIDI ports (bugdet emu x-board with it's features fits mpc 100% )